vCash

7 marathons, 7 continents (yes, Antarctica too!)

Would you do it?

Just read an article on techcrunch about a Stanford student (who has a great backstory, too) whose in the process of running seven marathons on all seven continents all in the name of charity and was blown away! So much I shelled out a donation, and I'm normally stingy with that. Now I'm not sure how common it is to do 7 marathons on all continents, but surely not at such a young age and with such a good message.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/03/for...ca-on-tuesday/

Man, when I was a senior in college...you don't even want to know. And I love my son, but if only he had some of this "craziness" in him.

Great to see an example of some of the greatness that young people are capable of.

vCash
    I would do it, yes. Seven marathons seems kind of doable. The article does not mention a time frame though...

There is an Australian guy who's doing something even more crazy - 52 marathons in 52 weeks, all over the world. Now that is crazy...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothlorien View Post
    I would do it, yes. Seven marathons seems kind of doable. The article does not mention a time frame though...

There is an Australian guy who's doing something even more crazy - 52 marathons in 52 weeks, all over the world. Now that is crazy...
    Oh my god.

Banned Member
    vCash
    52??? in 52 weeks??? How is that possible? I would imagine it would take you at least a week to recover from one...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothlorien View Post

(I'm not laughing at you, I was thinking of myself uttering these words.)

vCash
    I ran one in mid-October and it took me at least a week to recover fully. The really bad stuff (chafing, walking without limping, and OMG stairs...) was gone within a few days, but my body was yelling at me for running it for quite some time. It took a good 4 weeks after that to have any desire to run again... but this is really cool. I like that I have the ability to brag about a marathon, but running one on all 7 continents is just awesome! And something that I wouldn't mind attempting to accomplish...

vCash
    [QUOTE=chatsworth;2974743]52??? in 52 weeks??? How is that possible? I would imagine it would take you at least a week to recover from one...
    I'd think it takes even longer to recover AND be ready for another one but I'm no expert.

Sounds like a great project. I have just started to run a few months ago. I used to hate it and I still think it's not the most exciting exercise. If I go long enough, it's like meditation, however. I don't quite see myself doing a marathon but I decided a month ago to do a half marathon and I never thought I would bother to do that either. So I guess once I have done a few half ones, I will probably look for the next challenge.
    I'd be interested in the time frame as well.

vCash
    Jaq, how about Berlin Marathon? Am planning to do it this year again (the inline marathon that is). Want to go to Berlin together? We could cheer each other

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Jaq, how about Berlin Marathon? Am planning to do it this year again (the inline marathon that is). Want to go to Berlin together? We could cheer each other
    I don't think I'll be doing a full marathon any time soon When is it? Can you do half?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Sparrow View Post
    I don't think I'll be doing a full marathon any time soon When is it? Can you do half?
    It's 24/9 for inline marathon (which am doing full) and 25/9 the running marathon (where I could stand aside and cheer for you

vCash
    Nope, sorry, we will have to postpone for a few years

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chatsworth View Post
    52??? in 52 weeks??? How is that possible? I would imagine it would take you at least a week to recover from one...
    Terry Fox ran one on one leg every day for many days... I guess it's possible, but of course he's probably not going to beat records!

vCash
    Hey, Eddie Izzard (love him!) ran 43 marathons in 51 days for Sports Relief. There was a BBC documentary on it which was very good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    Hey, Eddie Izzard (love him!) ran 43 marathons in 51 days for Sports Relief. There was a BBC documentary on it which was very good.
    How is that human possible?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chatsworth View Post
    He completed the 50th one this past weekend, actually and has managed to have some great adventures in the process as well. He posts regular updates on his Facebook and Twitter, which should give you an idea of how he does it.

http://runlikecrazy.com/
    @RunLikeCrazy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post

(I'm not laughing at you, I was thinking of myself uttering these words.)
    I know, right?
    Used to be me too, not that long ago.

Then came "I want to do it, and I'm doing it, no matter what, just once." Everything went to plan, apart from the last two words...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Sparrow View Post
    How is that human possible?
    Well, he walked a lot at the beginning. And he had a lot of physical issues- his feet took a terrible beating. But he ran his last marathon in 4 hours so he got much better as he went along.

vCash
    Well, he walked a lot at the beginning. And he had a lot of physical issues- his feet took a terrible beating. But he ran his last marathon in 4 hours so he got much better as he went along.
    I see. I thought he ran all of them.

vCash
    Ooof, that's how long it took me to run my first and only marathon.