Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DinDonShamu View Post
    And I actually think S/P defined the term "unison" in pair skating this decade. S/P just moved as one and took my breath away the first time I saw them in 2002. They were made for each other as in their bodies were on the exact same wavelength. The only break of unison I could remember from S/P when they skated relatively well were their SBS jumps. Even my parents, who were not skating fans, remembered the unison and the "beauty" (though I don't agree ) of a Canadian pair years back but couldn't recall whoever else was competing with them, so I guess it really boiled down to the style thing.
    I didn't want to beat the dead horse yet again , but I disagree with this. S&P had a wonderful connection to/awareness of each other and a terrific chemistry. I can see how one would find them very well united in mind and spirit. However, when it came to their overall body unison , they really did not skate as close together as their rivals, didn't have the same use of full range of body movement, sudden shifts in support and edging, and constant intertwining body-line or changes of hold etc. I found their pairs spiral positions to be very mismatched at times too.

I think both B&S and S&Z's choreography from 2002 would have done very well under COP. S&P's Orchid would have as well.
    Last edited by escaflowne9282; 12-08-2010 at 06:53 AM.

vCash
    Many of Kurt Browning's programs would stand the test of COP, just the footwork alone, and his musicality....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    This was just gorgeous, inspiring skating: 1998 World Pro-Am Artistic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS3Fn...9A2F7&index=10
    There is a lot of just plain stroking before each jumps. That would not fare so well with CoP.

In any case, Johnny rocked the performances and showed how to do it under Cop, but he wasn't thinking of points-gathering. The moves just flowed out of him, and then from 2005 Worlds onward, it became more difficult for him, and the judges became more harsh in how they viewed him, for varying reasons.
    A skater does not need to think of points gathering, that is the choreographer´s job. A skater just needs to be able to perform the created programme.

Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    The Men's LP at 2002 Worlds would be a good one for another FSU Judging Game, if we ever have one.

The Top Eleven were:

Yagudin
    Goebel
    Plushenko
    I don´t think that Plushenko participated in 2002 Worlds?
    Last edited by Jaana; 12-08-2010 at 07:26 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    ETA: And that 2002 Worlds performance was wonderful!
    I think that program of Matt's could have so easily been bland and boring, but the way he skates to the music just totally mesmerizes me and I can watch it over and over. The slow section in the middle where he does a series of edge moves in particular just gives me chills. Pure art. And the triple axel out of the spread eagle The man deserves sooooo much more respect than he's ever gotten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    There is a lot of just plain stroking before each jumps. That would not fare so well with CoP.

A skater does not need to think of points gathering, that is the choreographer´s job. A skater just needs to be able to perform the created programme.
    sometimes in CoP i think the choreographer gets marked rather than the skaters and if they could skate this choreo aestetically pleasing.
    Abott pays justice to his choreographers for sure!

vCash
    I don´t think that Plushenko participated in 2002 Worlds?
    You're right. http://www.icecalc.com/events/wc2002/results/SEG064.HTM

Thanks.

vCash
    This was just gorgeous, inspiring skating: 1998 World Pro-Am Artistic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS3Fn...9A2F7&index=10
    That wasn't even designed to be a competition program. It's a show program, performed here in the context of an "artistic" competition.

Not quite 4 minutes (right between junior and senior ladies long program length), with 4 jumps (no combos), two spins, and let's say one spiral sequence. No step sequence and fewer jumps and spins than one would expect to find in a long program. So there's plenty of time to do extra spirals and other field moves and to take her time selling each of the moves.

Suppose someone did choose to leave out half the allowed elements in a long program and to concentrate on the in-between skating and program components instead, especially if that skater was best at everything else besides the jumps and spins. How high could the components go for excellent performance of a program with sparse elements? How well could high PCS make up for doing only half as many elements as the other competitors? High GOEs on the elements the skater did do would help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123