Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Johnny Weir's Withdrawal at 03 Nationals

Did Johnny Weir have a real injury from hitting the boards at 2003 Nationals? Does he still claim this today? Or does he admit he withdrew because his performance went so abysmally and he was so mentally rattled?

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Did Johnny Weir have a real injury from hitting the boards at 2003 Nationals? Does he still claim this today? Or does he admit he withdrew because his performance went so abysmally and he was so mentally rattled?
    Did you see the horrible fall on the triple axel? How could you skate after pretty mych falling from the speed of the jump into the splits on the ice? Did you see the way the leg was twisted?

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Does it really matter?

vCash
    I have a feeling that this is "Skating with the Stars"-related.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    The injury was real. Any more questions?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    How can you know from the video whether he was really hurt or not? That's impossible so it is unfair to assume he was faking it. I was in Dallas and I remember thinking it looked like he was really hurt.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash

vCash
    It looked to me like he was mentally disoriented by the board crash and completely lost his confidence. He was only 18, and I think he wasn't a mature competitor yet. I don't pretend to know at all. I just wondered if anyone knew what Johnny says today. What did he say about it in Pop Star on Ice/BGJW?

vCash
    I'm sure he broke his leg in 2 or 3 places, otherwise he'd definitely have been back out there. You have to skate through anything! Illness and injury are no excuse! I don't care if you are puking during crossovers, you get out there and skate! No excuses! Johnny is not a skater who ever makes excuses for himself or his results.

vCash
    Johnny just put himself back in play for the Disaster in Dallas. His IDIOTIC remarks on his "show" last night. According to him there's NO EXCUSE and you should perform no MATTER WHAT! So he has NO excuse for Dallas!!! LOL!

According to Weir you skate against medical advice so... what's his excuse?

So yes, now it "matters" but it's HIS fault that it's back on this board.

vCash
    Hitting the boards is not why he withdrew. He restarted the program after crashing into the boards and went through it just fine in full attack mode, landed a few jumps, then pretty much ripped himself apart on his solo triple axel. "LOLOLOLOL he crashed into the boards and then withdrew with a fake injury because he was too scared to keep skating, what a loser" is not what happened at all.

vCash
    If I remember correctly, Johnny said in PSOI that he felt humiliated and is now sorry he didn't attempt to finish the program even with the knee injury.

vCash
    del.
    Last edited by sus2850; 12-07-2010 at 02:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Johnny just put himself back in play for the Disaster in Dallas. His IDIOTIC remarks on his "show" last night. According to him there's NO EXCUSE and you should perform no MATTER WHAT! So he has NO excuse for Dallas!!! LOL!

According to Weir you skate against medical advice so... what's his excuse?

So yes, now it "matters" but it's HIS fault that it's back on this board.
    Well, let's just put this into context. Johnny was 18 years old at the time and is now quite a bit wiser. In fact, based on what I saw at NHK last year with his sinus infection, as a trained medical professional, I didn't think that it was smart for him to compete. He was running a temp of at least 102 before the SP and was so congested, his face was swollen and I'm sure his equilibrium was significantly affected. But, compete he did.

vCash
    Well, I don't care. COnsidering the awful fall he had, I don't have any problem with his withdrawal.

vCash
    I don't have a problem with Johnny's withdrawal at Nationals either, but he did open himself to accusations of hypocrisy by saying Brandon should have skated last night even though he was sick. This is not Evan at the Olympics with the stomach flu, or Elvis skating through a groin injury, we're talking about someone with very little experience skating on a good day, and zero experience skating through illness, so I can't blame Brandon for not skating last night. But anyway, I think Johnny said it to generate a little bit of buzz, so it doesn't really bother me.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I just watched the video (again, before I got involved), and that looked pretty bad. I'm amazed he went back in after he hit the boards. I have no clue what he said last night, but I assume it was along the lines of, today in this position, he would have stayed in? I don't know that that's a very good idea. :/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I just watched the video (again, before I got involved), and that looked pretty bad. I'm amazed he went back in after he hit the boards. I have no clue what he said last night, but I assume it was along the lines of, today in this position, he would have stayed in? I don't know that that's a very good idea. :/
    Wait, are you saying you don't watch the critically acclaimed Skating with the Stars?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Well, let's just put this into context. Johnny was 18 years old at the time and is now quite a bit wiser. In fact, based on what I saw at NHK last year with his sinus infection, as a trained medical professional, I didn't think that it was smart for him to compete. He was running a temp of at least 102 before the SP and was so congested, his face was swollen and I'm sure his equilibrium was significantly affected. But, compete he did.
    Wiser?? Last night he sounded "snarkier" but "wiser" I don't think advising folks to ignore medical advice is the sign of "wisdom".

Sadly, his actions since the Olympics make me question his "wisdom" and that of those providing him advice!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Wait, are you saying you don't watch the critically acclaimed Skating with the Stars?
    Haha, well, I have yet to see the episodes.

Ontopic, I've heard he left Dallas with crutches after the injury.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast