vCash

RIP--Ron Santo (Cubs Fans In Mourning)

Very sad day in Chicago today......

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/art...=news_chc&c_id

vCash
    Thanks for posting this. Anyone who knows me, knows what a huge die-hard Cubs fan (and of Ron Santo in particular) that I am!! I've had a crush on him since I was old enough to understand watching the games on TV with my Dad.

WGN 720 AM radio (also on the internet) is rebroadcasting a lot of "the best of and the gaffes of Ron" on the air over the years.

Today at 2:10pm CST the radio station sponsored a "click your heels in memory of Ron" time. Restaurants and businesses alike came to a standstill for just a few seconds. People that were stuck in traffic took to honking their horns in his honor!

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75NQhbY4YU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HTRxAHfwPY

I've got some great photos on my facebook page as well. My really good friend, Ken goes to Cubs Fantasy Camp at Spring Training every year and this photo was taken there last spring.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\Ken and Ron Santo1.JPG

We are going to miss Ron. Now we have to get him into Cooperstown, already!

vCash
    Tomorrow at 1 pm CST, WGN will be rebroadcasting the May, 1998, Kerry Wood 20 strikeout game in memory of Ron Santo in the broadcast booth. Tune in if you can; it was a great game!!

vCash
    I was lucky enough to be at that game with my youngest son!! We could only afford the early season tickets that year and who would've guessed we'd see such a stunner. I remember him laughing at me listening to the game being called on a small radio through my headphones so I could hear Ronnie call the game! WGN Internet radio will carry the game as well tomorrow.

The funeral and memorial service is set for next week with "limited seating." But the Cubs organization will probably do something more public for the huge crowds they are expecting.

Thanks, again. Ron was one of a kind.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I was able to be at a Cubs game when he sang at the seventh inning stretch. It's a HUGE sin he wasn't inducted in the the HOF during his lifetime.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    During one of several tv shows about Ron today, someone mentioned how he made a point of telling people that if he didn't get inducted into the HOF while he was alive, to withdraw his name from eligibility. But I doubt they will do that...NO ONE else will ever love the Cubs the way that Ron did. And I consider myself as much of a Cubs diehard fan as anyone else. There has always been something just a bit more special about Ron. He loved singing the 7th inning stretch and did it with GUSTO!

vCash
    Check your internet provider: the 20 K'O by Kerry Wood is being broadcast right now via the internet with Ron and Pat calling the game, but WGN TV is NOT carrying it as yet.

Just FYI

vCash
    They are also going to rebroadcast the Carlos Zambrano no-hitter (9/14/08) radio broadcast this afternoon on WGN Radio. I haven't heard anything about WGN TV doing any rebroadcasts. Since Ron Santo was radio, I'm not sure why they would, athough it would be very entertaining!

vCash
    Just being able to see the power and control that Kerry Wood had on that particular day was amazing! I'll have to look on the mlb.com site to see if it's available to look at again. Of course, I saw it from the left side of the field. One time when I really wished I had gone and sat in the bleachers. But as any Cubbie diehard will tell you, the bleacher seats can be rather "nippy" in the early or late parts of the season. I've been there in torrential rainstorms galore (they blow in and out quickly across Lake Michigan) and when there was snow on the ivy and neither extreme is a lot of fun!

I'm listening to the Zambrano no-hitter (vs. Houston but played in Milwaukee due to Hurricane Ike) and it's so much fun to listen to the banter between Ron and Pat. I can't imagine who they will get to try and step into the booth after Ronnie. They are in the top of the 8th and Ronnie is in rare form:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

WOULDJALOOKATTHAT?????????????

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHBABBBBBBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

vCash
    My sister and her friends in Chicago are in mourning. RIP
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash

Remembering Ron Santo

In case you are a Ron Santo fan and couldn't get any of the earlier broadcasts, WGNHD is televising a "Remembering Ron Santo" special on Friday from 10am to 12 pm CDT. It doesn't seem to be listed for regular WGN but on the HD channel of cable.

Thanks for combining the thread. I wasn't sure how to do it or if I should. Ron would be thrilled to know how many people are thinking of him.

The various televison channels in Chicago are going to be carrying the funeral procession on Friday throughout the morning. They have also added public visitation at Holy Name Cathedral on Thursday evening for the general public.
    Last edited by SharonDudd; 12-09-2010 at 12:15 AM.

vCash
    I can remember when Ron Santo was playing but I never saw him in person since I lived in an American League city during that time. He was a very good player but did he rack up Hall of Fame stats during his career?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonDudd View Post
    Thanks for combining the thread. I wasn't sure how to do it or if I should. Ron would be thrilled to know how many people are thinking of him.
    You can't combine threads already made but you can (and should) add to an existing thread when the subject is the same.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash