Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    Biggest pet peeve name: Neveah. I mean, really? And to cap it off, when the proud mom-to-be shares the name choice, she always HAS to proudly say, "It's 'heaven' spelled backwards!" Like the idea just came to her and she's oh-so-clever to think of it.

(Sorry to those who like that name. Nothing personal, I just don't like it due to watching way too many 16 year old girls fantasize about their precious baby Neveah.)
    This name drives me crazy! And you're right.. everyone who names their baby this has the need to explain. I'm not dumb.. and you're not unique.

I was watching A Baby story yesterday and a woman named her baby Joy Increasing

vCash
    We named one of our horses Bella when she was born in 2007. She was born in April, and it took months to finally decide on a name for her. She's a mostly-white pinto with two blue eyes and long wavy white mane--a unique kind of beauty, since a white face with light eyes isn't always flattering. We ended up narrowing it down to Bella (for beauty) and Lily (she was born at Easter), and settled on Bella. One of my cousins was dead set against Bella because of Twilight, and I had never even HEARD of Twilight at the time. Her name really suits her, and I imagine she will outlive the Twilight craze as well.

I've always liked the idea of using family names, but imagine hurt feelings could be caused by having to leave some names out. My dad's mom was named Katherine, and I've always thought if I had a girl I might use some variation of that without using the exact name. I didn't know my dad's dad at all, and my mom's parents are named Mabel and Herman, which I would not want to bestow on a kid born in modern times.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    This website shows trends in the popularity of baby names in the United States from the 1880's to the present: http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager
    Apparently if I'd been born in 1920, my name would have been very popular.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luna_skater View Post
    I've always liked the idea of using family names, but imagine hurt feelings could be caused by having to leave some names out. My dad's mom was named Katherine, and I've always thought if I had a girl I might use some variation of that without using the exact name. I didn't know my dad's dad at all, and my mom's parents are named Mabel and Herman, which I would not want to bestow on a kid born in modern times.

Otis and Leon are two prominent family names in my husband's family. No way, no how were we going to use either one of them!

vCash
    Oh, in one of the classrooms we had a little Hermione...her fasmily had just gotten to the US from Mexico, so I always assumed that they named her after the Harry Potter character. The combination of Hermione + very Mexican last name always amused me.

vCash
    My name dropped off the popular name lists 2000 going forward. It doesn't even appear in the top 500. In another 20 years, it will be like your Otis and Leon. Only people "of a certain age" will have it. Ack!! Another reason to name your child with a classic.
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    Since I'm expecting twins (17.5 weeks along) baby names are in my mind constantly. My son is Milo Alexander, my daughter is Violet Genevieve. If I'm right, I've got a boy and a girl in here and would love to name them Silas Elliott and Willa Caroline, but I suppose I'll need to include DH's thoughts, huh? He refuses to discuss names until we know gender... Sigh...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    This website shows trends in the popularity of baby names in the United States from the 1880's to the present: http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

Very cool!
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    My name dropped off the popular name lists 2000 going forward. It doesn't even appear in the top 500. In another 20 years, it will be like your Otis and Leon. Only people "of a certain age" will have it. Ack!! Another reason to name your child with a classic.
    My name had a good century-long ride in the top 125 or so -- it peaked mid-20th century at #3 and really began to decline in the Splash! backsplash on the 1980's and 90's. Right now it's not even in the top 500. I'm not sure if/when it will make a rebound, but it's been around for several millenia at least, so I think it likely will outlast Madison -- and definitely more than Neveah.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    . . . whereas Michelle and Hillary don't show up in the top 100 at all. (However, if I ever have a daughter I'm going to name her Michelle, after my favorite cousin.)

I've always liked the name Piper for a girl. First I ever heard of it was Piper Laurie, an actress popular in . . . I think it was the 1940s. ETA: Nope, I'm off -- more like the '50s through the '80s or '90s! It's not like I saw her in many films -- I just liked her name.
    Last edited by Wyliefan; 12-03-2010 at 07:41 PM.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    "Addison" (#9 on the girls' list) will always make me think of George Sanders. It's not that I object--I don't--but I wonder what accounts for its current popularity.
    Private Practice/Grey's Anatomy. At least that's where my niece got the name for her baby.

We named our dog Bella in 2006, but truth be told, it was for Bellatrix La Strange, not Bella Swan (whom I had never even heard of till last year).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I've always liked the name Piper for a girl. First I ever heard of it was Piper Laurie, an actress popular in . . . I think it was the 1940s. ETA: Nope, I'm off -- more like the '50s through the '80s or '90s! It's not like I saw her in many films -- I just liked her name.

Piper/Pyper is the local slang 'round here for all the crackheads and meth addicts. Sorry. "bunch a pypers on the corner this morning"

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quarkiki2 View Post
    Since I'm expecting twins (17.5 weeks along) baby names are in my mind constantly. My son is Milo Alexander, my daughter is Violet Genevieve.
    what a lovely name! Seriously, though, I love the names Violet and Milo. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    We named our dog Bella in 2006, but truth be told, it was for Bellatrix La Strange, not Bella Swan (whom I had never even heard of till last year).
    My dog was named Bella, and she predated most of the Twilight hysteria, but people always would say "ooohhhh, because she's so beautiful" and I'd have to explain that she was part shar pei and all the fatty folds on her head reminded me of a Beluga Whale when she was a puppy

I was totally when I realize what a popular name Bella is for dogs though. My name is very common and I hate it. There were never fewer than 4 of us in any class growing up. If I'd had kids they would have been named something like Xytherium, Delphinia or just Xyz.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? With the exception of Shakira and Anakin, those names are quite common in the US. They're definitely overused, but I don't see how they're "gross".
    Germany
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    On the topic of Bella, my daughter has a classmate named Bella, which is short for Bellazara. Is that a traditional Italian name?
    LOL, no! We have Isabella and the short form is Isa (or Lina in the south IIRC).
    @ Wyliefan: popular italian names now are Maria (but that has always been used a lot), Anna, Francesca, Giulia, Luca, Marco, Matteo, Andrea.
    I love english names similar to the italian ones, such as Julia, Marc (with a "K" or a "c"??), Luke.
    My name is Laura and I love that it's used in english countries too...but I was wondering if it's a popular name there. I've never met an english or american girl called Laura

vCash
    One of my sisters is named Laura. And i went to school with a Laura. I don't think it is popular here now though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    My name is Laura and I love that it's used in english countries too...but I was wondering if it's a popular name there. I've never met an english or american girl called Laura
    It's my best friend's name! I don't know if I'd call it popular at the moment, but we do still have a few Lauras around.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I can think of 3 Lauras I know off the top of my head, all Canadian, and I've got a combined 7 Lauras and Laurens in my Facebook friends (all Canadian or American).

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I've never met an english or american girl called Laura
    It's not up there with Amy, Elizabeth, Sarah or Jennifer, but Laura is a pretty common/traditional name in the US.

Of course there are also a lot of variations. In my high school with had many Lauras, a Loura, a Lara, a Lora (who ended up combining her 1st and middle names to become Lorae - luh-RAY - which I loved) and a Liora.

ETA: I'm not even including the Laurie/Lori/Lorry/Llory variations and the Laurens
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    LOL, no!
    OK, just wondering since I'd never heard the name before!

When I was in elementary school (the 1970s) there were tons of Lauras. And Laras, Lauries, Loris, Laurens, etc.

ETA: The popularity of the name Laura over time:

http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyage...se&exact=false

Definitely has dropped in popularity over the past 20 years or so.
    Creating drama!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast