Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Or are all the "Emma"s coming from somewhere else?
    I almost named my daughter Emma after her grandmother. But my husband wasn't so keen on it, and it was at or near the top of the name list back then, so we went with a different name (one that nobody seems to be able to spell ). Then we ended up calling her (as a nickname) something else entirely.

On the topic of Bella, my daughter has a classmate named Bella, which is short for Bellazara. Is that a traditional Italian name?
    Creating drama!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FGRSK8 View Post
    Siobhan is a good example of mass mispronunciations!
    In fairness, unless you're familiar with Irish Gaelic, there is no logical link for English-speakers between how that's spelled and how it's pronounced.

Personally, I like Malcolm, but but it would depend entirely on my hypothetical husband-and-father-of-hypothetical-child's last name. Girls, eh...I don't have many I like. Laura is tempting as that would probably have been my mother's second choice for me (her girl-choice if my brother had turned out to be a sister was Anne Marie, which is a little too prosaic for me.)

vCash
    I wanted to name my baby Isabella, but then checked its popularity and it turned out to be #2 (this was 2007). I did not want my child to be one of several Isabellas in the classroom (I was one of three Anias in first grade). So, Isabella became her second name. Her first name was then chosen in honor of my late grandfather. It's a traditional name with a traditional spelling, not super common (# 69 in 2009) with a traditional Russian nickname that trips up most people as it has nothing in common with the full name (kind of like Margaret & Peggy). Here is the catch: ~ 2/3 of kids with Russian-born parents have the same name! I love the name and it suits my daughter, but boy was this unexpected! The name may be #69 & the nickname # 261 (as the full name), but it seems so much more common to me (and I have a pretty small circle of Russian acquaintances). AND: I'm yet to meet an Isabella...

There is a good chance that we'll have another baby sometime this summer I started thinking of names and feel completely stuck, especially for boy names. So, I'm loving this thread, it may give me some ideas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    On the topic of Bella, my daughter has a classmate named Bella, which is short for Bellazara. Is that a traditional Italian name?
    Not that I know of . . . but I don't know a lot of traditional Italian names (though I happen to have one myself!). Both my parents' Italian families were full of "Ann"s and "Mary"s and so forth. They were big into assimilating, I guess.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    When I was subbing Tuesday, I had a student named Elizabeth Bennett.

Don't know if it was coincidence or her parents thought they were clever.
    I know a couple whose last name is Goldman. They named their daughter Emma. It wasn't till after the name was on the birth certificate that they realized what they had done.

I suppose that when the little one gets into trouble, her mother calls her, "Emma Goldman, you little anarchist!"

vCash
    Here are some really wacky names! Beware of getting the giggles if you look at this where others are present. On the other hand, it's Friday and probably time for a good laugh.

http://www.oocities.com/magdalena_ba...mesTrivia.html

vCash
    (Thank God the craze didn't lead to large numbers of women naming their sons "Fitzwilliam," anyway. )
    I do like Darcy for a girl's name, though!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    My son's name is the same as one of the authors of one of the four gospels. Kind of hard to mess that up.
    I always wondered what where their original pronunciations....because Mark, Luke, John weren't the enunciated names in Hebrew or Greek but the translated to English versions.
    What would Jenny do?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Food for thought: P&P is far and away the most popular Austen novel -- maybe even the most popular classic novel today -- and yet Emma is a far more popular name than Elizabeth.
    Yes, I know quite a few little girls named Emma. But I also love Elizabeth, Catherine and Anna, all those classic names whose popularity seems to be on the decline. I think that's good for those parents who choose them because while instantly recognizable, they still would be fairly uncommon.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    I like Emma

Speaking of names, a friend of mine used to do an internship at a local grammar school and the kids' names were just gross. Numerous Shakiras, Jasons, Justins etc. But the absolute winner was a little boy named Luke-Anakin. His brother's name was John-Logan.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    My favorites from my old agency were Reality, Honesti and Paradise. Wish I were kidding There was also a volunteer named Aquanetta.

Oh and in addition to all the Neveahs, there were a bunch of Destinys (spelled Deztanee, Destinee, and every way under the sun...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    Speaking of names, a friend of mine used to do an internship at a local grammar school and the kids' names were just gross. Numerous Shakiras, Jasons, Justins etc. But the absolute winner was a little boy named Luke-Anakin. His brother's name was John-Logan.
    Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? With the exception of Shakira and Anakin, those names are quite common in the US. They're definitely overused, but I don't see how they're "gross".

vCash
    My son is Luke. Although it's common, I think it's a classic and dignified name. He will never be embarrassed by it like the poor boys names Kobe.(sorry to anyone who named their child Kobe...i know about 7.) My girls are both named after family members. Aliyah, spelled exactly the way it is pronounced and written in the baby name book; and Francesca, who often gets Franseska as the prononciation instead of Francheska like it is supposed to sound. But I spelled it the way I have always seen it spelled.

vCash
    Funny thing is that in Russia name "Sophia" is one of the most popular too Didn't meet girls with name "Isabella" yet, but I know one little Bella )) Though Russian names like Anastasia, Polina and Darya are still very popular here

vCash
    I would never give my child a popular name. There were three Lotta in my class trought my school years and majority of my friends still call by surname eventhought they did not know me in school.

I am hoping to name my daughter Tyyne Vanamo and my son Unto, if I ever have children. I just have to hope those do not come popular!

Anyway, most popular names in Finland 2010:

Boys:
    Juhani
    Johannes
    Mikael
    Olavi
    Matias
    Onni
    Elias
    Ilmari
    Oliver
    Oskari

Girls:
    Maria
    Sofia
    Emilia
    Olivia
    Aino
    Amanda
    Matilda
    Helmi
    Ilona
    Aurora

vCash
    I see that Madison is still in the top 10 for girls -- I'm sure it never cracked the top 500, if that, before 1984. That Splash has had enormous staying power.

Sarah Palin's daughters' names – Bristol, Willow, and Piper – are climbing the ladder, but the name Sarah is actually in decline.

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    "Addison" (#9 on the girls' list) will always make me think of George Sanders. It's not that I object--I don't--but I wonder what accounts for its current popularity.

vCash
    I've always wished doctors would pull expecting moms aside around month 6 and give them a baby name talk, something like: "Pick whatever name you want for your child, but at least consider what impact that name may have on them when they're in junior high school with kids who look for any snotty reason to make fun of someone." Case in point--a co-worker from a long-ago job who named her daughter Precious Angel Jones. No lie. Seriously folks, what you think is cute at infancy is their daily beating at age 12.

vCash
    In 16 years of teaching, these are the oddest names I've encountered:

Sunny Dawn
    Echo
    Hezekiah, called "Hez"
    Ky-Uh (a boy)
    Asia (more than one)
    Kodi Lea (a boy--he wrote about it, he was the 4th boy and mom really wanted a girl)
    Fleming, called "Flem"
    Blue
    Alyssum
    Tschudi (pronounced "Judy")
    Ferrari
    Chap
    X (a nickname for what I don't remember, but it didn't start with X)
    and one kid named Matthew whose parents insist that we call him "Bubba". I have heard them call him "Bubba Boy". And this year, his name began appearing in the paper from the football rosters as "Bubba".

And subbing the other day, besides Elizabeth Bennett; I also had "Soarin Hawke".

vCash
    This website shows trends in the popularity of baby names in the United States from the 1880's to the present: http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

It only tracks the 1,000 most popular boys' and girls' names at any given time, so Barack, which has been climbing, isn't there yet.

I feel sorry for all the Madisons, Bristols, and Neveahs out there. Their first names have no staying power. There will always been Elizabeths and Catherines. Neveahs? I don't think so.
    Last edited by Squibble; 12-03-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast