Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Probably where everyone else got it too.
    This will date me, but before there was Sex and the City, there was Aidan Quinn.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    In the UK this year, the most popular names were Oliver and Olivia.
    What I would call old-fashioned names, such as Alfie, Freddie, Edward and Arthur, have come storming back, but name fashions are always cyclical.

Over the last two or three years, my own name has hovered at around the 50th most popular female name in the UK, though it is much less popular in the US.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

In Search of a Lost Chord
    The big space where the rest of your childhood forgets as a dream and the harshness of life dims the peaches and cream.
    vCash
    If we had had girls, the choice of name would have been: Courtney, Heather, Nicole..
    Happiness is being married to your best friend!

vCash
    My daughters have normally spelled, not over common but not out of the ordinary names. You would be amazed at tge frequent mispronunciations and spellings we get.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    No.. we don't know yet lol! We will find out on the 10th though. It's one of about 10 names (5 boy, 5 girl) on a list we have. We aren't actually naming peanut till we meet him/her in April

Isabella will out live the Twilight craze but I know I'm would get sick of people asking us or commenting. Maybe if we do have a girl and name her Isabella I'll have to get a onesie made up that says "No, I'm not named after Bella Swan!" lol!
    Bella is a beautiful name, but I agree that Bella Swan is about as annoying as a character can get. If I named my daughter Bella, I'd tell people it was after Bella Wilfer in Dickens's Our Mutual Friend.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    One of my friends is named Belle and she was born the year Disney's Beauty and the Beast came out. But she and her mother both swore up and down that she was named before the movie was released and her name had nothing to do with the charactor. In fact, her mother was shocked when the movie came out.

Knowing her mother, I believe them. But they told me most people just say: yeah, right!

The big space where the rest of your childhood forgets as a dream and the harshness of life dims the peaches and cream.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    My daughters have normally spelled, not over common but not out of the ordinary names. You would be amazed at tge frequent mispronunciations and spellings we get.
    Siobhan is a good example of mass mispronunciations!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    My son's name is the same as one of the authors of one of the four gospels. Kind of hard to mess that up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    I thank my mother everyday for my name. It's not super common, but common enough that it's not overly misspelled, mispronounced, and I don't cringe when I hear it.
    Same! I have the traditional spelling of a unique name (that is falling in popularity, yessss). My mom, ever the school teacher, named all 3 of her children names that don't have nicknames. My siblings got much more common names.

I like slightly unusual, but not made-up, girls names. Claudia has been a favorite for a long time. The ones I most dislike are names that end in an "eeee" sound, like Kayleigh, Riley, Hailey, etc. And they always have 23408532 different ways to spell them, ugh. I do love Layla, though - thank you, Eric Clapton.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to boys names. No child of mine will ever be named Logan, Caden or Mason.

Quote Originally Posted by FGRSK8 View Post
    If we had had girls, the choice of name would have been: Courtney, Heather, Nicole..
    Like so many of my classmates born in the early 80s! Do you like Jessica too?

vCash
    My name hovers around the 175-150 mark. I use the Spanish pronounciation, though I don't mind the English one.

ETA: I'm pretty traditional when it comes to spelling names, because in Colombia mispelled or Americanized name are very low class. I like names like Sofia, Lila, Lucia, Alexandra, Daphne, Lucas - nie but not super common (except Sofia). Made up names are just dumb and not worth the hassle. When I worked for Head Start, there were tons of kids named Makiy'ah, Neveah, Brilee, Ja'quan, Maleighah (is Malia not enough?), whixh just...no words
    Last edited by oleada; 12-03-2010 at 03:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    My name isn't that hard.
    And it's beautiful!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    In the UK this year, the most popular names were Oliver and Olivia.
    Jack and Sophie in Ireland. Other names in Top 5 for boys were Sean, Daniel, Conor and James and for girls Ava, Emma, Sarah and Grace.

Aside from Sean, Cian, Darragh, Oisin and Eoin were the more traditionally Irish names that made the Top 20 for boys with Aoife and Ciara for girls.

Szymon, Jakub, Filip and Lukas also made the Top 100 for boys and Oliwia and Zuzanna for girls.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Thanks, vesperholly

In my circle in Colombia, its been a while since I've seen a baby girl not named one of the following; Isabella, Sofia or Camila. Ever little boy seems to be named Nicolas or Samuel.

vCash
    I'm surprised and a little disappointed that the name Evelyn is in the top one hundred girl names. I've liked that name for years, and everyone always made fun of me for liking such an old-fashioned name.

My name has been on these "most popular" lists for years, but fortunately, most girls go by a popular nickname for it while I use the original.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post

Like so many of my classmates born in the early 80s! Do you like Jessica too?
    My niece is named Jessica.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Seriously, reading the list brought forth a conversation I had with some friend in high school about names and how ridiculous new names were and if we EVER had children, we were going traditional. REALLY traditional.
    When I have kids, their names will be super traditional, too. My own name is one of those trendy names from the 80's, but my mom decided she wanted me to have a unique spelling of it. And to this day, people misspell my name and due to the nature of the spelling, it's sometimes mispronounced and it all bugs the bejezus out of me. So I've vowed to give my kids names everyone knows how to say and spell.

Biggest pet peeve name: Neveah. I mean, really? And to cap it off, when the proud mom-to-be shares the name choice, she always HAS to proudly say, "It's 'heaven' spelled backwards!" Like the idea just came to her and she's oh-so-clever to think of it.

(Sorry to those who like that name. Nothing personal, I just don't like it due to watching way too many 16 year old girls fantasize about their precious baby Neveah.)

vCash
    Food for thought: P&P is far and away the most popular Austen novel -- maybe even the most popular classic novel today -- and yet Emma is a far more popular name than Elizabeth.

Or are all the "Emma"s coming from somewhere else?

(Thank God the craze didn't lead to large numbers of women naming their sons "Fitzwilliam," anyway. )
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Food for thought: P&P is far and away the most popular Austen novel -- maybe even the most popular classic novel today -- and yet Emma is a far more popular name than Elizabeth.

Rachel on Friends named her daughter Emma. And from there, it just springboarded up the charts and stayed there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    Biggest pet peeve name: Neveah. I mean, really? And to cap it off, when the proud mom-to-be shares the name choice, she always HAS to proudly say, "It's 'heaven' spelled backwards!" Like the idea just came to her and she's oh-so-clever to think of it.
    This exact scenario happened at work two years ago with my supervisor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post

(Thank God the craze didn't lead to large numbers of women naming their sons "Fitzwilliam," anyway. )
    When I was subbing Tuesday, I had a student named Elizabeth Bennett.

Don't know if it was coincidence or her parents thought they were clever.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast