Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Huge Fire in Northern Israel-getting close to Haifa.

Fire disaster in Israel (you can watch a video in English at the bottom of the link):

At least 40 people were killed and dozens were injured as the deadliest forest fire in Israel's history swept through the north of the country.
    A large number of the dead were Israeli Police officers and firefighters, who were on their way to assist.
    Among the injured, is Ahuva Tomer, first woman to command major police station.

Prime Minister Benyamin Netanyahu called it as a National Disaster, and asked help from the international community. The authorities in Israel are expecting to receive some 20 firefighting aircraft from Greece, France, Cyprus Spain, Croatia, Italy, Azerbaijan, Egypt, Jordan, Turkey and Russia.

More than 12,000 northern Israel residens were evacuated from their homes. The fire is getting close to Haifa, and the city's large University of Haifa. Officials are fear that some of Haifa neighborhoods will have to be evacuated as well, because of the strong winds that make the situation even worst.
    Firefighters are not optimistic, and declared that they lost control
    Last edited by Eden; 12-02-2010 at 11:43 PM.

vCash
    How sad. I hope they extinguish the fire soon, so that no more people get hurt.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    How terrible. Saying prayers that they can get the fire under control.

vCash
    That is terrible and hope the fire gets put out soon. My heart goes out to the victim's families and all those who have been affected by the fire.

vCash
    Praying!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Terrible . I hope they can control the fire soon.
    Zorry my english, I´m a verrrrrry rude spaÑish

vCash
    OMG! My thoughts and prayers are with Israel during this very trying time.

vCash
    Praying, also, that the fire is controlled soon.

vCash
    Keep your prayers please, I'm afraid Israel is in need of those.
    First massive evacuations efforts began from the city of Haifa
    Haifa's Mayor is pleading the residents of the Denia neigborhood to listen to the rescue efforts with "minimum drama". The Israeli TV is calling residents of this area to leave their houses according to the instructions.
    Last edited by Eden; 12-03-2010 at 05:28 AM.

vCash
    Doesn't Andrey live in Haifa? I hope his home isn't in danger. This afternoon NPR reported that over 30 female inmates died when the authorities were trying to evacuate a prison near Haifa.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    How awful! I hope they can get it under control ASAP.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Doesn't Andrey live in Haifa?
    Yes, he does.
    His last post on FSU was almost 40 minutes ago, so I think he is fine.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Prayers to those with family and friends in the vicinity.

vCash
    Prayers for all in the area.

vCash
    I'm in Haifa and was at the university yesterday, so could see the fire from a pretty early stage and how it got progressively worse. At this point I think that in Haifa itself, only parts of Denya are being evacuated - a friend left with her family about an hour ago. If there's anyone else here from Haifa, I hope they're safe and won't be affected.

I know that other countries are sending assistance and we're very grateful. This is beyond anything our own firefighting forces can deal with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I know that other countries are sending assistance and we're very grateful. This is beyond anything our own firefighting forces can deal with.
    With only 106 fire trucks and 360 firefighters for the entire state, and not even one proper aircraft to help in cases like that, Israel definitly can not fight such a massive fire by itself.
    First aid, including 100 firefighters from Bulgaria, arrivied to Israel, and is going to join the local rescue forces shortly.
    The goal right now is to stop the fire from spreading, to stop it completely will take few days, said Menachem Caspi one of the commanders of the Israeli firefighting forces.

vCash
    Carmel wildfire contained after 77 hours.

2 suspects (teenagers from the village of Usafiya) were arrested. The police suspects they were the one to begin it all.

41 people lost their lifes, most of them rescue person. The youngest victim is 16 years old volunteer.

Benyamin Netanyahu, the Israeli PM, thanked all the international forces that came to help Israel fighting its deadliest fire.

This incident is a wake up call for Israel. For years the firefighters complained that they need more budgets in order to provide the right services. Actually they were the only sector in Israel, who went on strike not for getting salary benefits, but to tell the Israeli public and above all to the Israeli governments (the current government is not the only one responsible for this negligence) that since 1995 nothing happened in that area.
    Now, it is a priority not only because of what happened in the past few days, but also due to the fact that Hezbolla in South Lebanon celebrated Israel's weakness.
    They celebrated too fast, IMO. Now Lebanon is burning, and asking the International community for help. Luckily for Lebanon, no casualties there.

PS = Haaretz published photos of the final moments of the bus with the rescue person. Haaretz.
    Last edited by Eden; 12-05-2010 at 08:29 PM.

vCash
    Glad it has been contained ... hope that it will be completely extinguished soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    2 suspects (teenagers from the village of Usafiya) were arrested. The police suspects they were the one to begin it all.
    I had read earlier arson was suspected, but apparently now fire chiefs believe it wasn't deliberate. If that's the case, what would the teens be charged with?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast