Inception
    The King’s Speech
    Shutter Island
    The Town
    Toy Story 3
    True Grit
    Winter’s Bone

http://www.nbrmp.org/
    Last edited by soxxy; 12-02-2010 at 08:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post

Ten Best Films
    (in alphabetical order)
    Another Year
    The Fighter
    Hereafter
    Inception
    The King’s Speech
    Shutter Island
    The Town
    Toy Story 3
    True Grit
    Winter’s Bone

http://www.nbrmp.org/
    Interesting top 10 list. The Social Network is probably the best film of the year with Winter's Bone just slightly behind. I would have had Let Me In on the list for sure. I was also expecting to see Black Swan on the list. I am excited about The Fighter and Another Year. I wasn't expecting Shutter Island to be in the top 10. I'm really excited for Jennifer Lawrence getting the breakthrough award, her turn in Winter's Bone was absolutely stunning.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Hereafter? Color me surprised. I thought the story was really weak.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Hereafter? Color me surprised. I thought the story was really weak.
    I didn't see it, but I don't remember it getting particularly great reviews. I didn't find this year to be particularly strong in movies, but maybe it was weaker than I thought.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I can't wait to see the remake of "True Grit". Not sure if anyone can live up to John Wayne though.

I'd love to see a remake of "Jeremiah Johnson" also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    I can't wait to see the remake of "True Grit". Not sure if anyone can live up to John Wayne though.

I'd love to see a remake of "Jeremiah Johnson" also.
    I'm in love with the idea that the Coen brothers remade True Grit. I'm just not usually a big fan of westerns, so I'm not sure if I'll actually love the movie as much as I do in my head.

vCash
    I wonder why anyone would want to remake True Grit. What's the matter with the original? Then again, I think remakes of anything are annoying. Except possibly A Star is Born, which to me was really just three different movies, twenty years apart.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I'm sorry but has anyone actually seen Winter's Bone? It is an AWFUL movie. The acting saves it from being on the "worst" list for me. The writing actually had myself and my BF laughing out loud because it was just awful. You could practically see writers in the background as this stuff came out of the actor's mouths.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I'm sorry but has anyone actually seen Winter's Bone? It is an AWFUL movie. The acting saves it from being on the "worst" list for me. The writing actually had myself and my BF laughing out loud because it was just awful. You could practically see writers in the background as this stuff came out of the actor's mouths.
    I hate to disagree, well...actually I don't, I think Winter's Bone was really amazing. The acting is great and while the writing may not be up to the acting 100 percent, I don't find it laughable like you seemed to find it.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    I thought Winter's Bone very worthwhile, with Jennifer Lawrence acting award well deserved. I suppose one's mileage may vary regarding the story....it's very similar to Frozen River and to Tilda Swinton's Julia, somewhat.

vCash
    It can't nearly be as funny as Black Swan.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indra486 View Post
    It can't nearly be as funny as Black Swan.
    Do tell. It won't be in my area for a while. I love Portman's Swan makeup!

vCash
    But that is quintessential Aronofsky - most of his films are structured that way (some to a greater degree than others). Some have argued that the Wrestler bordered on overtly melodramatic tones (nearing the end of the movie).

vCash
    Do tell. It won't be in my area for a while. I love Portman's Swan makeup!
    I found myself laughing at how over the top it was. It almost seemed like a "serious" parody of the ballet world.

Spoiler

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indra486 View Post
    I found myself laughing at how over the top it was. It almost seemed like a "serious" parody of the ballet world.

Spoiler

Yikes. I've only seen Aronofsky's The Wrestler, which I liked, and Requiem For a Dream, which I didn't, except I've grown to like the score.

vCash
    Jacki Weaver is generating a fair bit of Buzz here in Oz. She's been around for ever here and is very respected (she was great in Cosi, which is about a production of Cosi fan Tutte being staged in a mental asylum... yes, very Australian and quirky). In Animal Kingdom she plays the matriarch of a crime family. There is even Oscar buzz surrounding her role which is fantastic for her.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Yikes. I've only seen Aronofsky's The Wrestler, which I liked, and Requiem For a Dream, which I didn't, except I've grown to like the score.
    I've seen all of his movies except Black Swan, which I plan on seeing as soon as possible. I absolutely love The Wrestler, but I can see where people detect melodrama toward the end. I can't say I like Requiem for Dream, but I think it's a virtuoso effort with incredible acting. Pi is worth checking out as well.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
    Except possibly A Star is Born, which to me was really just three different movies, twenty years apart.
    I'm pretty sure that's the way it will be with The Coehn Brother's True Grit. I doubt they will refer much to the original movie but go back to the original source material and put their own unique spin on it.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I don't plan to see Black Swan because psychological horror leaves me unhinged and totally unable to sleep. But I went to The Movie Spoiler to read about it (why yes, I always read all about movies I don't plan to see, doesn't everybody?) and was left thinking, "Um . . . what?"
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am unsure if I will see Black Swan when it finally comes to my area but I have to be honest and say that the trailer did NOT convince me like it has so many people. Everyone is just raving over this movie and can not wait to see it. I don't get it. The trailer didn't turn me off but it in no way stood out as a "must see" for me. It did look very over the top and melodramatic but I thought maybe it was just the trailer and editing. Guess not.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast