Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    My parents have one and they LOVE it!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    The ones that hold more water just waste energy keeping the water warm.
    Correction: the units that hold more water, fill the percolating part of the unit each time you select a cup size and then the unit heats that water; they neither heat nor keep warm the entire reservoir at any one time. So energy conservation is a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nora_Charles View Post
    I guess that's what I'm talking about -- I already knew that it would only do one cup at a time, but there are 3 different models on teh Keurig website: Elite, Special Edition, and Platinum. And even though I've read through the product details on each one, they're pretty sketchy and the only difference I can figure out is that each one will allow for different cup sizes. It doesn't really talk about how much water the reservoir will hold or anything like that.
    The difference is number of cup sizes, reservoir sizes and "quiet brew" technology. I have the Elite, which has 48 ounce reservoir and brews 6 or 8 ounce cups of coffee. The Platinum has 5 cup sizes and a 60 ounce reservoir.

I also do hot chocolate (Green Mountain's Dark Hot Chocolate and White Hot Chocolate K-Cups are insanely good!) and hot apple cider (also Green Mountain K-Cups) in them too. In summer I brew over ice, which is fab. My current favorite is Green Mountains Spicy Egg Nog. With Bailey's Irish Cream creamer (found at the supermarket), this is a great holiday treat!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by venja View Post
    I'm torn between the two because I like the convenience and the fact that you can buy a reusable filter to make your own coffee with the Keurig. On the other hand I really like the fact that I can make a cappuccino/latte/tea/hot chocolate/iced coffee/espresso with the Tassimo.
    Keurig does have some varieties, altho I think you're probably right that the Tassimo has more. I'm not a big cappuccino/latte gal, but I have had pretty good espresso, tea, and hot chocolate with the Keurig. And I make awesome iced coffee all the time from Keurig-brewed coffee.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DubbalinGirl View Post
    Correction: the units that hold more water, fill the percolating part of the unit each time you select a cup size and then the unit heats that water; they neither heat nor keep warm the entire reservoir at any one time. So energy conservation is a non-issue.
    Ok, thanks for the clarification. It must have been another brand someone was telling me about that had a keep-warm reservoir.

I still don't find it at all onerous to refill the water with each cup, though.

vCash
    I have a question. I bought one for my Dad a few years ago, and I was not happy with the temperature of the coffee. It was nowhere near hot enough. Are the newer ones better (hotter)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I have a question. I bought one for my Dad a few years ago, and I was not happy with the temperature of the coffee. It was nowhere near hot enough. Are the newer ones better (hotter)?
    Usually, mine's too hot to drink when it first comes out. I have a B60.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I've had the Platinum one for about 9 months now. Used it before at an old office and loved the flavors. Bought it for home when my mom moved in, she's got shaky hands and I was worried about her burning herself using hot water and instant coffee.

Mine has a filter for the water, the reusable filter so you can use ground coffee, and a programmer mode so you can fix the water temp, set the time, set brew size default, etc. Favorite is the Columbian Fair Trade, and I am addicted to the seasonal coffees too (Pumpkin Spice, Gingerbread, etc.). Southern Pecan is my mom's favorite. I use it for hot water to make tea and hot chocolate. We've bought K-cup iced tea, but I wasn't excited by it.

Keurig customer service is awesome. I get the Cafe Express from Green Mountain, and have also started buying the coffee at Macy's and Bed Bath and Beyond (their sales are amazing).

I'd advise shopping around. I got mine from QVC on easy pay and it was $150, came with 48 k cups, 2 filters and 1 reusable filter. Plus, when you registered it online, you got another 2 boxes from Keurig.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    So what's the deal with the water? I read in a review that you have to use distilled water. Is this true? You can't use tap water?

dbell - Does the water filter gadget in your setup allow you to use tap water?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    So what's the deal with the water? I read in a review that you have to use distilled water. Is this true? You can't use tap water?

dbell - Does the water filter gadget in your setup allow you to use tap water?
    It may have something to do with how hard your water is. We have really hard water and I rarely have a coffee pot last more than 2 years. My faucets and shower heads get mineral deposits on them too. The faucets and shower heads can be soaked, coffee pots are harder to deal with. I know it's good to run white vinegar through a drip pot every once in a while to clean it out, but then the coffee tastes weird for a while.

vCash
    I've had mine for over a year and love it.
    It is great because I only like 1 cup of coffee a day and I can have a different one everyday. I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and bought lots of different flavors (they were on sale) so I have lots to choose from. Also have the adapter for regular coffee. Bought one for Christmas gift for daughter who is in college. Great when company visits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    They say not to use water directly from the tap. I use water that I've put through my Brita filter (I won't drink unfiltered tap water anyway) and that seems fine. But like any other coffee maker, you need to clean the unit - they call it 'Descaling' - every 6 months or so. I don't find it tastes at all like vinegar after if I follow the directions in the manual.

Mine is usually too hot to drink right away too, so I think the newer models have taken care of the temperature issue.

vCash
    We have really good water in our area, that tests better than bottled, so I always use tap. I would guess that you'd need to avoid tap if you had lots of minerals in your water.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I use Brita filtered water and the filter for the coffee pot. Guess it's overkill, but why not, the Brita's sitting there anyway on the counter, and I hate tap water.

vCash
    I adore my Keurig.

vCash
    I'm getting one for Christmas.

Going on diet soon
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeb-seminole View Post
    Bought one for Christmas gift for daughter who is in college.
    I went to Kohls yesterday and bought one on sale for my daughter in college, and used a 15% off coupon too! I figure if she doesn't want it, I'll keep it. She's forever going to Mcdonalds or Starbucks or 7-11 for coffee, so hopefully she'll use this instead.
    Crows and Eville SQUIRRELS love peanuts!

vCash
    I love my Keurig! On Thanksgiving it was a real hit as everyone picked whatever coffee or tea they wanted. My sister in law went out and bought one the next day.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    My mom has one and loves it! My fiance is contemplating getting one because I don't drink coffee and he hates making a pot just for himself.

vCash
    We just got a new dishwasher, and it comes with a coupon good for a free Bosch Tassimo maker. I haven't received the Tassimo yet, but I'm thinking of giving it to my D in college who likes coffee with (shudder) hazelnut-flavored fake cream. Does anyone know if the Tassimo accommodates a travel-size coffee cup? Are their disks that would incorporate the creamer or do you still add that separately?

vCash
    I can't believe I never thought of getting one of these before. We ALWAYS waste coffee here because my hubby insists on me brewing coffee for US in the morning but he ends up NOT drinking any of the coffee about 75% of the time. I'm getting one this weekend for sure. I sure hope one of my local Costco's has this in stock.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast