Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    '98 Olympics SP - I don't really know how I feel about it, but I remember a few on this board quibbled that with a major mistake, she was placed in front of a clean Bonaly.
    Both Slute and Bute were gifted in the SP at 98 Worlds as well IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Irina's 2003 Euros SP

Elena's 2003 Euros SP

Irina's 2003 Euros LP

Elena's 2003 Euros LP
    I really adore Slute's 2003 Euros LP. She skated with such freedom and joy that I felt she deserved to win even with a major error. Elena's 3-3 wasn't rotated anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrookgone View Post
    I really adore Slute's 2003 Euros LP. She skated with such freedom and joy that I felt she deserved to win even with a major error. Elena's 3-3 wasn't rotated anyway.
    Sokolova had a cute personality, but her skating in general always struck me as ragged around the edges. Some impressive jumps, but everything else was kind of sloppy and half-assed.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I agreed with Irina winning the 2003 Europeans since her spins, footwork, even spirals, and overall skating quality and speed are far better than Sokolova's. I can see how others might disagree with the result though. On another note nobody had a problem when Kwan easily won Worlds over Sokolova with her triple lutz-triple toe combos.

vCash
    Overall, Slutskaya was never overrated at the major events - she deserved most of her World/European titles and Olympic medals. Where she was often overrated was at relatively minor events, such as the 2001 GPF ahead of Kwan and the 2000 NHK Trophy ahead of Butyrskaya (both results were absolutely ridiculous).

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I think Sokolova was better at Euros in 1993 than Worlds and probably should have won Euros.

However, I think there was some strategy involved in Irina's camp at 1993 Euros after the SP and especially after seeing Sokolova's careful tenative presentation in the LP. She went for the big presentation scores, which would have given her the competition in the tie breaker, and while it did not come down to the tie breaker, she set herself apart by not being cautious.

vCash
    Interesting, what do you think was better about Sokolova's performance at Europeans compared to Worlds? She didnt jump any better at Europeans than Worlds from what I saw, and she certainly didnt perform better, spin better, or skate with more speed that I saw.

Looking at it again the judges were pretty clear cut. Irina had higher marks both technically and in presentation in the LP, and 8 of the 9 counting judges had her first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post
    Overall, Slutskaya was never overrated at the major events - she deserved most of her World/European titles and Olympic medals. Where she was often overrated was at relatively minor events, such as the 2001 GPF ahead of Kwan and the 2000 NHK Trophy ahead of Butyrskaya (both results were absolutely ridiculous).
    Yes that is my thoughts exactly! And I guess I dont think that the events she had her truly questionable victories at much mean in the grand scheme of things either. Winning or not winning 2000 NHK for example means almost nothing to Slutskayas career, it probably means more to Butyrskaya if anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrookgone View Post
    No interpretation, at all. That was ridiculous. She seemed to be at a practice session. No arm movements, no choreo. that was weird to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I agreed with Irina winning the 2003 Europeans since her spins, footwork, even spirals, and overall skating quality and speed are far better than Sokolova's. I can see how others might disagree with the result though. On another note nobody had a problem when Kwan easily won Worlds over Sokolova with her triple lutz-triple toe combos.
    Well, Irina's jumps were not good. She had no interpretation. IMO, she was not better than Sokolova, who, at least, tried to figure skate a little !

Around the corner prostituting the biellman
    vCash
    I miss Irina a great deal. Skating hasn't been the same since her retirement, at least for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post

I also thought Slutskaya should have won the 96 GP final instead of Kwan. Kwan fell on a simple triple toe in the short and should have been 5th in the SP, while Irina should have been higher than Choiunard in the SP, which would have given Irina the victory overall. So ultimately I agree with Slutskaya having won 4 GP finals and Michelle 1.
    Actually, I thought Josee had a much more complex SP in terms of footwork and transitions (she always had excellent footwork, which really stood out in the women's event--she and Yuka were my favourites in this respect). She had better skating skills, musicality and overall refinement, IMO. I thought she could compete for the gold with any of the ladies.

I was impressed by the difficulty of Irina's spins, and I did find her charming. I miss her

vCash
    Slutskaya is one of those skaters I've missed AFTER she's gone. I guess you don't know what you got till it's gone kinda thing. When she was competing I ALWAYS found her overmarked; to be honest, I was kinda baffled by how loved she was by judges. I thought she had a heavy, lumbering, at times, sloppy, style, that wasn't particularly pretty. I was never really a fan of her programmes; I usually preferred her SPs, and her 06 LP was just awful for an OGM favourite IMO. However, since her retirement, I appreciate her massive jumps, athletic style, great spins and FW and her guts in just going out there and going for it. We don't see enough of her gumption and spirit in ladies these days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12