Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Speaking of authors who take forever to crank out the next one, I wonder when we'll finally see Book 6 of the Clan of the Cave Bear series...I think it's been 12 years or something since the last one?

vCash
    Yes, I skip to the end. My philosophy is like that of Billy Crystal in When Harry Met Sally. I skip to find out how the book ends. That way if I die before I finish the book, I know what happened.

vCash
    I always skip to the end. I don't like suspense or surprises, I love spoilers, and I prefer to know how things are going to end while I am going through it. The question for me is not whether I will skip to the end, but when

vCash
    I use to before I got my Kindle which makes it hard to skip so many pages.

vCash
    I never read ahead in a book. But I don't mind being spoiled for TV and sometimes sports, depending on the circumstances.

vCash
    I used to when reading Stephen King... but my Kindle makes skipping ahead less attractive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Speaking of authors who take forever to crank out the next one, I wonder when we'll finally see Book 6 of the Clan of the Cave Bear series...I think it's been 12 years or something since the last one?
    I didn't read past Book 4, which was a real disappointment after the first three. Nothing much happened and there were endless descriptions of pottery-making and basket weaving, and such.

Was the fifth any better?

vCash
    No. 5th was infinitely worse. I almost became a botanist, and yet I was sick of reading about datura.

But it did throw out some intriguing hints about what might happen in Book 6 - which is the only reason I want to read it

vCash
    What? I went to the last page of this thread

vCash
    Yes. Sometimes, depending on the book (like a series) and to get it out of the way, I flip to the last chapter and read it. Then I go back to the beginning and start as I should have properly. I did that with the last two HP books, Breaking Down (a random dramatic reading in the bookstore actually) and A Darkling Plain (Mortal Engines series).

The only time I ever regret doing so was with A Darkling Plain. For the other three I mentioned, I shrugged my shoulders. I read the HP books, despite not liking the epilogue. With Breaking Dawn, I just wanted a laugh. Now, with A Darkling Plain, I sat there like this for a good five minutes processing the end of the entire series. It wasn't the ending I expected but I should have given the nature of the series.

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    I never skip ahead. I feel like it's cheating. OTOH I can count the number of works of fiction I didn't finish on the fingers of one hand, so I've clearly got issues.

Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I'm so happy someone else is saying they put that book down. I did the same thing. What I did get through, I found creepy. I felt like he was manipulating a child then teenager and the relationship was wrong on many levels. Not romantic.
    I'm not sure it was supposed to be mainly romantic? Niffenegger said her themes were "mutants, love, death, amputation, sex, and time". I was quite happy it wasn't mainly romance, and love it and the ending both.

Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    And I am still WAITING for the Game of Thrones latest books. He is way too occupied with the show and I am getting MAD at him !
    I don't think it's the show so much as he just wrote himself into a corner. He originally planned to write 6 books with a 5 year gap (book time) between book 3 and 4. Then by book 3 he realized that didn't work, so he skipped the gap, which apparently wreaked havoc on his plots, especially the one concerning Daenerys. Judging by his not!blog he's making some progress on that, but it's still not resolved.

I'm wondering if he'll get a kick up the backside when he realizes the show (unless it gets cancelled) is going to outrun to books in terms of plot?

vCash
    Not usually.I did briefly when I was reading War and Peace and was bogged down in a boring bit,wanted to know if it would get any better.lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilynn View Post

I'm not sure it was supposed to be mainly romantic? Niffenegger said her themes were "mutants, love, death, amputation, sex, and time". I was quite happy it wasn't mainly romance, and love it and the ending both.
    I read 3/4 of it and didn't get any of that, either. It was all very contrived under the guise of creative fantasy and the female character was manipulated. I tire easily of stories of weak females being manipulated by men.

vCash
    I skip when I'm reading book for researches (I just look for the data that interests me...), but when I read novels I try to avoid this (did it only with the last harry potter, because I hadn't time but wanted to know how it finished!)

vCash
    My English Prof says she ALWAYS reads the ends of novels first. She says she is less interested in what happens and more interested in how and why it happens.

vCash
    No, I never skip ahead, it would ruin the whole book for me.
    Especially a mystery. What would be the point if you know who did it ahead of time.

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I read 3/4 of it and didn't get any of that, either. It was all very contrived under the guise of creative fantasy and the female character was manipulated. I tire easily of stories of weak females being manipulated by men.
    Did we read the same book? How could you not get any of those themes at all? Henry is a mutant. The time and love aspect runs through it all, both death and amputation are heavily foreshadowed in the book, and death is quite present

Spoiler

even if I think most of the actual story touching those points are in the last quarter.

The chicken-or-the-egg thing with Clare doesn't totally work for me either (although I don't read her as particularly weak). He's supposed to orbit her life in particular because she is the most important person in his lifetime, but did she end up being that person because he popped up when she was a kid?

Erp. Sorry. Thread drift.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    March. It's the last one. The title is The Painted Caves.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    It’s not about “the ending”.
    I feel the same way, but it leads me to a different action.

If I'm getting a bit bogged down in a story, but I WANT to finish it, I sometimes go to the end and it often sparks more interest. I find I want to know HOW the story gets from where I am to where it ends.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    I never skip to the end of a book, I like the journey too much. During Buffy Season 6 I was a real spoiler whore, but discovered that I didn't enjoy the show as much, so now I try to avoid spoilers in general.

I've only deliberately spoiled myself for a book once. I'd seen something about a big brouhaha because a character had been killed off, so I went to find out who. Mostly because I needed to be prepared in case. Turned out that it wasn't one of the characters I feared for, so all was good.

For the "too many books, too little time" crowd. Do what I do and follow Nancy Pearl's (librarian and action figure!) "Rule of 50". http://nancypearlbooks.wordpress.com/pearlisms/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast