Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    Ok, this may be a little mean, but I was at Worlds one year (2003, I think) and Vanessa Giunchi has so much glittery lotion and makeup on that I just wanted to grab one of her infamous headscarves and wipe it all off her. I think she may have even been Italian champ over Carolina Kostner that year.
    Her Bolero at SLC wasn't so sad. At least she was always much better with her jumps than Fontana.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CantALoop View Post
    I also want to see a clip of Nina Bates because I remember she used to be a running joke on this board.
    I saw Nina at 2004 worlds and actually thought she would hurt herself on her jump attempts.

That being said, she is a better skater than I'll ever be.

I remember seeing some girls from Greece, Ireland, and Lithuania that were actually not bad. Many didn't have triples, but their skating skills were pretty decent and they really worked on things like spirals and spins. Gotta hand it to them for trying.

vCash
    Anna Rechnio skated at the 39th United Arab Emirates National Day 2010, yesterday. And she has given birth only a few months ago. She truly is a legend!

Zuzanna Szwed > Parchem got married to Aaron Parchem and she's a choreographer now.

Popova is just hopeless. Poor basics and skates like a piece of a brick hauled around the ice.

Glebova is similarly expressive.

Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    Idora Hegel.

my favorite Level 3 Mascara <3
    What a wasted talent.

I am sure she could have achieved a lot with proper coaching. I mean she was landing all the triples as a teenager already.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Btw I don't see anyone mentioning Tatiana Malinina. I remember her really good season.. either 99 or 00 (at 26 years old) .. she won some GPs and then I think the final? And she was seeing Roman Skorniakov.
    MALININA WAS THE BEST AND WAS TOTALLY ROBBED!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I think it depends on the generation. I can remember when the idea of being able to interpret a person's body language was regarded as some kind of voodoo. And now it's pretty mainstream among younger educated people.
    Polish Figure Skating Association is totally scared of psychologists and none of the currently working Polish coaches work with a sport psychologist.

PFSA seems to blame sport psychology for Wojtala's inconsistency. /sigh

And people in Poland people seem to still regard psychology as something to do with serious mental ilness. :/

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    But an OES list is incomplete without Hristina Vassileva and her middle east/chanting voids! This music kicks ass, hopefully somebody will use it again! Movchan, I'm looking at you....
    OMG thanks for that link! That Devdas program is LEGENDARY!

WHY IS NOBODY SKATING TO THIS?

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CantALoop View Post
    Has anyone mentioned Krisztina Czako yet? When she was on, her jumps were huge, and she had wonderfully bizarre programs like the Addams Family LP linked here, and supposedly a dog-themed program as well.
    Krisztina wasn't really an OES. She won the silver medal in Europeans in 1997, just missed out on other occasions and made the top ten at Worlds a couple of times. She could do all the triples, though not all of them with great consistency, and had a fabulous 3-3. If Czako is what you call obscure, you want to try watching the whole ladies' SP at Europeans one day.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Rechnio had two problems.

added: She's done some commenting for eurosport and I noticed two things

1. She has the Peggy Fleming gift of dooming skaters by praising them saying "she's skating very well tonight" seconds before a fall.

2. She drove me crazy with overuse of the word "czyściusieńko" (roughly "nice and clean") for jumps that are anything but, kind of like Hamilton's "nailed it!" anytime a skater manages to stand up the landing.
    lol, I still remember this "czyściusieńko" fixed phrase .
    but definitely a wasted potential . she could medal so many times. I'll never forget her "GWTW" programme...

Yulia Lavrenchuk - (for ziggy: didn't she look kind of like Szapołowska?) nice fast high jumps but she didn't last long.
    don't offend Grażyna!
    Lavrenchuk for me was very wooden and non-expressive at all. yet she still managed to medal at Euros (once, iirc)...

does Mikkeline Kierkegaard also qualify as OES of a gone era?

vCash
    Elena Glebova has been around awhile, but her Sex and the City SP is really tragic, especially the footwork sequence. I really love it! Sadly her skating has deteriorated the past few years. And what the hell is Levandi allowing her to go onto the ice with choreography this bad?
    I finally gathered up the courage to watch that and all I say is

And that's because I have no eartly idea what is supposed to mean either.

Where.... to.... begin.....

But I've watched it three times now and I may watch it more (just kille me, please).

vCash
    As far as I know, Sonia Radeva is still skating, so the "of days gone by" doesn't apply, but I had to give her 2009 SP a mention. Love the crows cawing around the 2 minute mark.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash

But an OES list is incomplete without Hristina Vassileva and her middle east/chanting voids! This music kicks ass, hopefully somebody will use it again! Movchan, I'm looking at you....
    Interesting, and being a percussionist, I like the music very much. But I do take issue with the comment there, “This is where all the voids began.”
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post

does Mikkeline Kierkegaard also qualify as OES of a gone era?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZrrbMsRmNk
    Last edited by Marco; 12-04-2010 at 02:02 AM.

vCash
    It's really too bad that neither Natalia Popova nor Irina Movchan have been able to really break through even though they've had their chances...Tatiana Volosozhar could probably have done singles and do better than these two

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What a beauty ! It was a real pleasure to watch her on the ice at that time !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Kierkegaard was so wonderful to watch and it was such a tragedy that she could never acquire all of the triples because she, Kwan and Cohen were THE elegant ladies of the past decade.

vCash
    Amanda Dobbs reminds me so much of Mikkeline, right down to that killer triple toe.

Kierkgaards' qualifying round free skate in 2000 was even better if I recall, which had her second in her group despite only having up to the triple loop in difficulty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    What a beauty ! It was a real pleasure to watch her on the ice at that time !

I agree. Loved Kierkgaard. Can't believe Denmark didn't send her to 2002 Olympics. Very dumb.

vCash
    nm
    Last edited by nro; 12-08-2010 at 04:24 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    As far as I know, Sonia Radeva is still skating, so the "of days gone by" doesn't apply, but I had to give her 2009 SP a mention. Love the crows cawing around the 2 minute mark.
    I love the crows in Radeva's program too. For some reason, I always expect her to do better than she does.

I also like Roxana Luca of Romania. I couldn't find the Enigma program she did that I love, but this is her 2007 long to Amelie.

Someone already mentioned Vanessa Giunchi, but her and her headbands are very OES to me. Here is her 2003 "Indian" short program.

I thought Nella Simaova might become an OES of note, but she kind of disappeared before the Olympics. This is her short program from 2009 Euros.

Teodora Postic is another skater that I thought might become somewhat well-known, but kind of disappeared. This is her 2009 Euros sp.

Isabelle Pieman's "Catwoman does Take Five" routine is OES at its best to me.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post

I thought Nella Simaova might become an OES of note, but she kind of disappeared before the Olympics. This is her short program from 2009 Euros.

Teodora Postic is another skater that I thought might become somewhat well-known, but kind of disappeared. This is her 2009 Euros sp.

Isabelle Pieman's "Catwoman does Take Five" routine is OES at its best to me.
    I think Pieman and Postic are no longer competing, but both did qualify and went to Olympics via Nebelhorn Trophy. Technically, Simaova could have gone to the Olympics as well after Tamar Katz wasn't sent, but apparently, she wasn't trained well enough for the Federation to give her the OK to go.

vCash
    Nella Simaova and Teodora Postic have now retired.

Isabelle Pieman has been competing this season but didn't show up at Nationals. Perhaps she's injured?

Or perhaps she noticed Vannut's results and decided to throw in the towel.

Kierkgaard was a gorgeous skater, indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    LEGENDARY SP!

The dress, the facial expressions, the crows, the WTF factor of the whole program is just epic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ankka View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYNAULzExA

In this one Drei actually showcases brilliant jumps and even some emotion
    That was unreal from Drei...who taught her how to bend her knees that year? Her technique was totally transformed between seasons.

The 2003 Euros were just INCREDIBLE!

Kostner did two triple triples which I'd never seen before, and an axel/3 sal. Sokolova may have done two ur 3/3's too, whilst Slutskaya attempted one. Was Sebesteyen 3rd? The standard was unbelievable!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    That was unreal from Drei...who taught her how to bend her knees that year? Her technique was totally transformed between seasons.

The 2003 Euros were just INCREDIBLE!

Kostner did two triple triples which I'd never seen before, and an axel/3 sal. Sokolova may have done two ur 3/3's too, whilst Slutskaya attempted one. Was Sebesteyen 3rd? The standard was unbelievable!
    I remember this competition so well. That was amazing !
    I was really disappointed to see that Alisa Drei was unable to do suc a good performance again !

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast