Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Btw I don't see anyone mentioning Tatiana Malinina. I remember her really good season.. either 99 or 00 (at 26 years old) .. she won some GPs and then I think the final? And she was seeing Roman Skorniakov.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It's still pretty much the same over here.
    I think it depends on the generation. I can remember when the idea of being able to interpret a person's body language was regarded as some kind of voodoo. And now it's pretty mainstream among younger educated people.

Other European ladies I liked.

Olga Markova - wildly careening between wonderful and cringe inducing and voidaliciousness and never, ever, for a single second boring.

Yulia Lavrenchuk - (for ziggy: didn't she look kind of like Szapołowska?) nice fast high jumps but she didn't last long.

Marion Krijgsman - lots of technical problems but something about her always drew me in to her skating

Nathalie Krieg - favorite spinner ever

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Btw I don't see anyone mentioning Tatiana Malinina. I remember her really good season.. either 99 or 00 (at 26 years old) .. she won some GPs and then I think the final? And she was seeing Roman Skorniakov.
    1. Though born in Russia (the Asian part, in fact), she skated for Uzbekistan (which is in Asia) and thus isn't eligible to be an OES. (If you want to start an OAS thread, feel free, but see #2, below.)

2. She was too successful to be Obskur. First at Four Continents, first at the Grand Prix Final, first twice at NHK, and fourth at Worlds.

3. Malinina and Skorniakov are married. AFAIK, they live and work as coaches in Virginia.
    Last edited by Squibble; 12-02-2010 at 12:12 AM.

vCash
    I'll second poths: Mojca Kopac (SLO). Also Lenka Kulovana (CZE), 1993 Worlds. She rocked the FS with a weird medley of tangos and Carmen IIRC.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Pavuk seems to have fallen apart in recent years, but she definitely should have had a medal at Europeans 2004 with a performance in both short and long.
    YES! YES! She was so robbed

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYNAULzExA

In this one Drei actually showcases brilliant jumps and even some emotion

vCash
    I believe Dorofejev is the first woman to land a 3T+3Lo combination, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    Olga Markova - wildly careening between wonderful and cringe inducing and voidaliciousness and never, ever, for a single second boring.
    Love her, but she was not obskure, no?

Yulia Lavrenchuk
    Simple yet high quality elements. Too bad she couldn't do a combination jump to save her life and usually pumped and telegraphed for 4 minutes of her 4 minute 10 second programs.

Nathalie Krieg - favorite spinner ever
    Love the Swiss maestros! Looking back, Sarah Meier is really the worst spinners of all Swiss ladies to make it to Worlds in recent years (but also the best jumper ).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    In a week where Lafuente and Meite put OES ladies back on the map, I'm reminding peeps of some OES ladies' performances that could have medalled at worlds had they not been so obskure:

1. Julia Sebesteyen's LP at the 1999 European Championships: No video available, but this was by far the best performance of her career and at the time she had the biggest jumps and easily the best technical content. The judges soon began to take her seriously and whilst she was often undermarked (placing her 6th in the SP of the SLC Olympics as opposed to 2nd which is what she bltantly deserved) it was her nerves and inconsistency that eventually ruined her reutation, not her obskure country status.
    Yes, it is :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLAZpEpQotE

I loved her programs at 1999 Euros. Her SP was very good, too (even with 2 mistakes).

vCash
    Please add to the list unforgettable Mila Kajas.
    94 Olympics Free skate was wonderful.

vCash
    Idora Hegel.

my favorite Level 3 Mascara <3

vCash
    Does Gusmeroli qualify as an OES? That program of Legends of a Fall was magnificent, along with the one she was a robber and stole some diamond bracelet (what year was that?)
    I loved Viktoria Volchkova, but I don't know if you're russian you can be Obscure in figure skating.
    Lucinda Ruh, too...I guess my choices are not valid

ETA: Ahhh! I remembered being a huge Silvia Fontana fan, at the time. I thought she'd be world champion one day!

vCash
    Not exactly medal-contenders, but all of these get honorable mentions from my end

Vanessa Giunchi's Schindler's List LP

Alice Sue Clayes skated very well at Skate Canada in 1992, but I liked her programs from the mid 90's better...Would have been nice if she managed voids and jumps in the same program
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx-ORXTLg-A

Zuzanna Szwed lost some of her jumping ability when she grew, but made up for it with very interesting programs. I'm suprised she wasn't mentioned along with Anna Rechnio and Wojtala. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWLwILP85fQ

I really liked Simone Lang from Germany, too, especially her SP from 1995 Worlds -which doesn't seem to be online. Something about her basic skating was always very appealing.

vCash
    Current OES ladies:

Irina Movchan from Ukraine is my current favorite. She already has the level 4 makeup, permanent pout, and a great collection of XS costumes. She struggled last year but apparently has a new coach and is making progress. Her first competition of the year is next week at Golden Spin, let's hope she does well because she has some serious Ukrainian competition in the form of...

Natalia Popova who is coached by Petrenko, and has the jumps through the 3loop consistent (for an OES at least!). She placed 5th in a deep field at Coupe de Nice this year, so she can clearly land the jumps. But as you can tell she doesn't have the void potential of Movchan and to make it worse skates to old zzzzz Sokolova music, how offensive!

Elena Glebova has been around awhile, but her Sex and the City SP is really tragic, especially the footwork sequence. I really love it! Sadly her skating has deteriorated the past few years. And what the hell is Levandi allowing her to go onto the ice with choreography this bad?

And I've had high hopes for Bianka Padar to become an OES superstar for a few years now but she hasn't done anything since then. Maybe with Sebestyen finally out of the way, she'll get her s#@! together and make it Euros this year. If nothing else I WANT TO SEE THIS COSTUME AT EUROS!

Everyone else has done a good job of mentioning the OES of yesteryear.

While Olga Markova was perhaps a bit too successful to be counted as true OES, this program remains one of my all time favorites, and she actually landed 5 triples here! She's so much more than a lime green boa and single salchows!

But an OES list is incomplete without Hristina Vassileva and her middle east/chanting voids! This music kicks ass, hopefully somebody will use it again! Movchan, I'm looking at you....

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Please add to the list unforgettable Mila Kajas.
    94 Olympics Free skate was wonderful.
    Yes, it was, and she was so lovely, elegant, and could do both flip and lutz (on her good days!) I remember her winning the silver medal at the Lalique Trophy, a great achievement.

I loved Zuzanna Szwed as well, but she could never master the more difficult jumps. Her FS music, 'The Teacher' in the 1997 Worlds season was truly haunting, and I've never heard it before or since.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Love her (Markova: mafke) but she was not obskure, no?
    I tend to think of her and Rechnio as roughly the same level, Markova did better at euros but Rechnio did better at worlds (arguably).

Neither was really obscure for real fans at the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    Elena Glebova has been around awhile, but her Sex and the City SP is really tragic, especially the footwork sequence. I really love it!
    omg, that's so awesomely tragic. If we have the FSU Gay Icon of the Year poll this year, I nominate her for that technically clean, yet hot mess of a program.

this program remains one of my all time favorites, and she actually landed 5 triples here!
    I love that program too, and the early 90's music cuts/choices! Starts off with bad Yanni-esque new age-y soundtrack music, then tinkly piano music, and finally a bad tekno version of Firebird to finish!

Has anyone mentioned Krisztina Czako yet? When she was on, her jumps were huge, and she had wonderfully bizarre programs like the Addams Family LP linked here, and supposedly a dog-themed program as well.

I also want to see a clip of Nina Bates because I remember she used to be a running joke on this board.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I really liked Simone Lang from Germany, too, especially her SP from 1995 Worlds -which doesn't seem to be online. Something about her basic skating was always very appealing.

I love this program and the Jesus Christ Superstar short program from the same season.

I'm just sorry it took her until her last year of competition to settle into a non-frantic style of presentation.

vCash
    Ok, this may be a little mean, but I was at Worlds one year (2003, I think) and Vanessa Giunchi has so much glittery lotion and makeup on that I just wanted to grab one of her infamous headscarves and wipe it all off her. I think she may have even been Italian champ over Carolina Kostner that year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    Idora Hegel.

my favorite Level 3 Mascara <3
    The girl with no knee bend!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast