View Poll Results: Who is the better spinner -- Shawn Sawyer or Alissa Czisny

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shawn Sawyer

    17 16.04%
  • Alissa Czisny

    89 83.96%
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Who Is the Better Spinner: Sawyer or Czisny?

    A poll created because I misread the results of the other active poll on spinning.

    The best currently eligible man and woman spinners: Shawn Sawyer and Alissa Czisny.

    If multiple choice isn't an option, which one would you vote for as the better spinner?
    Last edited by Squibble; 12-01-2010 at 12:20 AM.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    430
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Alissa. Shawn has crazy flexibility, but Alissa has the whole package when it comes to spinning.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,961
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6943
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Alissa. Shawn has crazy flexibility, but Alissa has the whole package when it comes to spinning.
    Shawn has one beautiful spin -- that one with his leg fully extended. The others are fast, and well centered, but not amazingly beautiful positions. I'm trying to remember a spin variation of Alissa's that I didn't like, and I can't. They're all gorgeous. Maybe she has a future as a spin doctor.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,353
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3933
    I went with Czisny. Her spins have everything: centering, speed, flexibility, stability, beautifully chosen positions, clean entrance and exit, quick and effortless changes of position.

    I would say Shawn Sawyer is the most flexible man, I wouldn't necessarily say he's the best spinner. I don't find him overall better than Kozuka, Abbott or Chan.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    Posts
    715
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Shawn Sawyer can get into positions no other man can..and I mean that in the best way!


    Alissa currently, is the best female spinner though. Clean technique, capable of nice variations, and nicely pointed toes...I hope it's not so terrible of me to want her to just..spin. Nothing...else......
    Last edited by Fallcolor; 12-01-2010 at 01:58 AM.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    496
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I've seen Czisny live and her spins are phenomenal- meanwhile Daisuke does not.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    430
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by piano18 View Post
    I've seen Czisny live and her spins are phenomenal- meanwhile Daisuke does not.
    Uhh--who mentioned Daisuke?

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    496
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Uhh--who mentioned Daisuke?
    I saw it and didnt please me. Anyways, maybe someone can do a comparison on youtube video of the best spinners.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    9,169
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33791
    Is Alissa the only skater ever to receive a perfect score on a level 4 spin (+3 across the board in her FS at TEB)?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,938
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Shawn has one beautiful spin -- that one with his leg fully extended. The others are fast, and well centered, but not amazingly beautiful positions. I'm trying to remember a spin variation of Alissa's that I didn't like, and I can't. They're all gorgeous. Maybe she has a future as a spin doctor.
    She already is

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,979
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Is Alissa the only skater ever to receive a perfect score on a level 4 spin (+3 across the board in her FS at TEB)?
    No, Caroline and Mirai have done it before. And I'm sure Stephane has as well.

    http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc..._SP_Scores.pdf -- Mirai's Layback

    Eesh, I can't find Caroline's right now, but I'm very certain she's done it before...
    Last edited by smarts1; 12-01-2010 at 02:02 PM.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    430
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    No, Caroline and Mirai have done it before. And I'm sure Stephane has as well.

    http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc..._SP_Scores.pdf -- Mirai's Layback

    Eesh, I can't find Caroline's right now, but I'm very certain she's done it before...
    It was her Ave Maria LP at the 2009 WTT, it was gorgeous, she held the bielmann forever.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,332
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Alissa's spins are so well centered, fast and with beautiful positions. That's amazing.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,332
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    It was her Ave Maria LP at the 2009 WTT, it was gorgeous, she held the bielmann forever.
    And Caroline's Layback at the end of her Ave Maria at 2007 Skate America, no ?

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    430
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    And Caroline's Layback at the end of her Ave Maria at 2007 Skate America, no ?
    Yup, yup, though I preferred when she ended her programs with the layback since it really is her signature move.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,038
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Shawn is definitely the best of the men. I think he might be a bit better than Alissa but they're both pretty awesome. Neither is as good as Lambiel in his prime (around like 2005) or Ruh!

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,961
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6943
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Shawn is definitely the best of the men. I think he might be a bit better than Alissa but they're both pretty awesome. Neither is as good as Lambiel in his prime (around like 2005) or Ruh!
    Ruh had amazing spins, but for me they were more about speed (better than anyone else I've ever seen live) and centering -- I still think Alissa wins on the beautiful positions, entrances and exits. (Though I do wish some of the women would try to learn the sideways leaning spin Ruh did.)

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,173
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    One nitpick about Czisny's spins - it always takes her forever to grab her free foot when geting into the donut position.

    Otherwise, she is the perfect spinner. There's this one huge combo spin she did in her exhibition pieces with about a million changes of positions that I love so much.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,938
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    852
    Everytime I see the position on Sawyer's I spin, I see future hip replacement! There's something absolutely un-natural about it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •