View Poll Results: Who is the better spinner -- Shawn Sawyer or Alissa Czisny

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shawn Sawyer

17 16.04%
  • Alissa Czisny

89 83.96%
    vCash

Who Is the Better Spinner: Sawyer or Czisny?

A poll created because I misread the results of the other active poll on spinning.

The best currently eligible man and woman spinners: Shawn Sawyer and Alissa Czisny.

If multiple choice isn't an option, which one would you vote for as the better spinner?
    Last edited by Squibble; 12-01-2010 at 12:20 AM.

vCash
    Alissa. Shawn has crazy flexibility, but Alissa has the whole package when it comes to spinning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Alissa. Shawn has crazy flexibility, but Alissa has the whole package when it comes to spinning.
    Shawn has one beautiful spin -- that one with his leg fully extended. The others are fast, and well centered, but not amazingly beautiful positions. I'm trying to remember a spin variation of Alissa's that I didn't like, and I can't. They're all gorgeous. Maybe she has a future as a spin doctor.

vCash
    I went with Czisny. Her spins have everything: centering, speed, flexibility, stability, beautifully chosen positions, clean entrance and exit, quick and effortless changes of position.

I would say Shawn Sawyer is the most flexible man, I wouldn't necessarily say he's the best spinner. I don't find him overall better than Kozuka, Abbott or Chan.

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    Shawn Sawyer can get into positions no other man can..and I mean that in the best way!

Alissa currently, is the best female spinner though. Clean technique, capable of nice variations, and nicely pointed toes...I hope it's not so terrible of me to want her to just..spin. Nothing...else......
    Last edited by Fallcolor; 12-01-2010 at 01:58 AM.

vCash
    I've seen Czisny live and her spins are phenomenal- meanwhile Daisuke does not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by piano18 View Post
    I've seen Czisny live and her spins are phenomenal- meanwhile Daisuke does not.
    Uhh--who mentioned Daisuke?

vCash
    Uhh--who mentioned Daisuke?
    I saw it and didnt please me. Anyways, maybe someone can do a comparison on youtube video of the best spinners.

vCash
    Is Alissa the only skater ever to receive a perfect score on a level 4 spin (+3 across the board in her FS at TEB)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Shawn has one beautiful spin -- that one with his leg fully extended. The others are fast, and well centered, but not amazingly beautiful positions. I'm trying to remember a spin variation of Alissa's that I didn't like, and I can't. They're all gorgeous. Maybe she has a future as a spin doctor.
    She already is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Is Alissa the only skater ever to receive a perfect score on a level 4 spin (+3 across the board in her FS at TEB)?
    No, Caroline and Mirai have done it before. And I'm sure Stephane has as well.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc..._SP_Scores.pdf -- Mirai's Layback

Eesh, I can't find Caroline's right now, but I'm very certain she's done it before...
    Last edited by smarts1; 12-01-2010 at 02:02 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    No, Caroline and Mirai have done it before. And I'm sure Stephane has as well.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc..._SP_Scores.pdf -- Mirai's Layback

Eesh, I can't find Caroline's right now, but I'm very certain she's done it before...
    It was her Ave Maria LP at the 2009 WTT, it was gorgeous, she held the bielmann forever.

vCash
    Alissa's spins are so well centered, fast and with beautiful positions. That's amazing.

vCash
    It was her Ave Maria LP at the 2009 WTT, it was gorgeous, she held the bielmann forever.
    And Caroline's Layback at the end of her Ave Maria at 2007 Skate America, no ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    And Caroline's Layback at the end of her Ave Maria at 2007 Skate America, no ?
    Yup, yup, though I preferred when she ended her programs with the layback since it really is her signature move.

vCash
    Shawn is definitely the best of the men. I think he might be a bit better than Alissa but they're both pretty awesome. Neither is as good as Lambiel in his prime (around like 2005) or Ruh!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Shawn is definitely the best of the men. I think he might be a bit better than Alissa but they're both pretty awesome. Neither is as good as Lambiel in his prime (around like 2005) or Ruh!
    Ruh had amazing spins, but for me they were more about speed (better than anyone else I've ever seen live) and centering -- I still think Alissa wins on the beautiful positions, entrances and exits. (Though I do wish some of the women would try to learn the sideways leaning spin Ruh did.)

vCash
    One nitpick about Czisny's spins - it always takes her forever to grab her free foot when geting into the donut position.

Otherwise, she is the perfect spinner. There's this one huge combo spin she did in her exhibition pieces with about a million changes of positions that I love so much.

vCash
    Everytime I see the position on Sawyer's I spin, I see future hip replacement! There's something absolutely un-natural about it