Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Good for whom? She's in the Grand Prix Finals. How does that translate into *quit skating*?
    Because Rachael has achieved about as much as she can as a skater. She looked like a junior skater compared to all the other ladies today. And how much more improved can she get? She's slower then ever and has no real presence on the ice. If she doesn't have her jumps she has no chance. And as the younger skaters get better they will eventually overtake her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    And as the younger skaters get better they will eventually overtake her.
    Well, this applies to every competitive skater out there and not just Rachael Flatt.

vCash
    But some of the other skaters like Mirai and even Ashley can still improve. Heck look at how Alissa has improved with new coaching.

vCash
    I just felt so bad for Rachael at the GPF.

Alissa!!!

vCash
    Some interesting U.S. ladies-related fun with numbers...

In four attempts this season, Czisny has not scored below 104 in the FS.

In three attemps this season, Gao has not scored below 101 in the FS (and those were junior programs).

Zawadzki has been wonderful in the SP, not scoring below 56 points yet.

Nagasu has been the most consistent in the SP, scoring 58.76 and 58.72 in her two GP events.

More than 35 points separate Flatt's SB overall score (Skate America) and her worst overall score (GPF).

Once the U.S. Nationals sub-forum goes up, I'll post my 2011 Nationals Fun-with-Numbers stuff again. I have all the numbers crunched and ready to go!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    In three attemps this season, Gao has not scored below 101 in the FS (and those were junior programs).
    And in her one Senior (club) competition this past July, Christina Gao scored 51.36 (SP) and 107.71 (FS) for a total of 159.07 to win Skate Detroit.
    ETA: Gao did score 51.19 (SP) and 96.91 (FS) for 148.10 total in winning her Junior group at Thornhill Summer Skate in Canada in August (her pre-JGP warmup competition, landing 6 out of 7 triples cleanly in her Jr. FS, including 3F+3T).

Once the U.S. Nationals sub-forum goes up, I'll post my 2011 Nationals Fun-with-Numbers stuff again.
    Great, looking forward to it! ETA: Just curious, did you use international scores only?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-12-2010 at 01:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Great, looking forward to it! ETA: Just curious, did you use international scores only?
    Nope, I used: all Regionals, all Sectionals, GP/GPF, JGP/JGPF, and Senior B's. Bascially, anything that didn't occur during the summer (so, from the JGP Courchevel and on). Thus, for some of the pairs and dance teams that only competed at Sectionals this fall, the data may not be totally accurate. I'm contemplating using Indy Challenge/Lake Placid IDC info too, but that depends on how much (more) free time I have.

vCash
    Because Rachael has achieved about as much as she can as a skater. She looked like a junior skater compared to all the other ladies today. And how much more improved can she get? She's slower then ever and has no real presence on the ice. If she doesn't have her jumps she has no chance. And as the younger skaters get better they will eventually overtake her.
    I think a new coach and some fresh music would have helped...

I think Rachael tried hard to reconstruct her more artistic side this year, but she just didn't try the right way.

vCash
    Some interesting U.S. ladies-related fun with numbers...

In four attempts this season, Czisny has not scored below 104 in the FS.

Zawadzki has been wonderful in the SP, not scoring below 56 points yet.

Nagasu has been the most consistent in the SP, scoring 58.76 and 58.72 in her two GP events.

More than 35 points separate Flatt's SB overall score (Skate America) and her worst overall score (GPF).

Once the U.S. Nationals sub-forum goes up, I'll post my 2011 Nationals Fun-with-Numbers stuff again. I have all the numbers crunched and ready to go!
    May be a shot in the dark but for those of us without access...could you post it here too?

vCash
    Ironically, despite all the calls for Rachael to retire and/or head off to Stanford, this is actually her most successful senior GP season to date. She's won two silver medals in the Grand Prix, placed first in the long program at both competitions and made it to the GPF for the first time in her career. Not to shabby.

I'm not her biggest fan, but it's obvious she's lost training time due to injury and couldn't perform up to her usual standard(consistent if somewhat lackluster) at the GPF.

The US ladies being as inconsistent as they are, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rachael at the top and/or on the podium at Nationals. Again, not to shabby for someone who is deemed to be so lacking in presence, mediocre etc.

She's never going to set the skating world on fire, but if she manages to accomplish her goals and keeps earning her place, then she should continue as long as she's still happy doing it. JMO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Ironically, despite all the calls for Rachael to retire and/or head off to Stanford, this is actually her most successful senior GP season to date. ... but if she manages to accomplish her goals and keeps earning her place, then she should continue as long as she's still happy doing it. JMO
    Well said.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    May be a shot in the dark but for those of us without access...could you post it here too?
    Subscribe! j/k

The site is worth it though, such an entertaining place for information.

garden freak
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Ironically, despite all the calls for Rachael to retire and/or head off to Stanford, this is actually her most successful senior GP season to date. She's won two silver medals in the Grand Prix, placed first in the long program at both competitions and made it to the GPF for the first time in her career. Not to shabby.

I'm not her biggest fan, but it's obvious she's lost training time due to injury and couldn't perform up to her usual standard(consistent if somewhat lackluster) at the GPF.

The US ladies being as inconsistent as they are, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rachael at the top and/or on the podium at Nationals. Again, not to shabby for someone who is deemed to be so lacking in presence, mediocre etc.

She's never going to set the skating world on fire, but if she manages to accomplish her goals and keeps earning her place, then she should continue as long as she's still happy doing it. JMO
    The voice of reason. I wish Rachael would have skipped the GPF because of injury, but she did earn the trip and she wanted to go. IMO, it is obvious that the injury and lack of training had a bigger impact than she expected. I'm not a big fan of her skating, but the bashing is really bad, especially when you compare it to the "reliable Rachael" theme of all the posts in this thread - prior to the GPF.

vCash
    Well, I suppose we'll see what she is made of at Nats. She could either take the naysay and use it as motivation to blow everyone away, or she can lose confidence in herself, her scoring ability and fold.

She's done a lot to earn the nickname "Reliable Rachel" - amazing how quickly a rep can be destroyed.

vCash
    Just curious, did you use international scores only?
    Nope, I used: all Regionals, all Sectionals, GP/GPF, JGP/JGPF, and Senior B's. Bascially, anything that didn't occur during the summer (so, from the JGP Courchevel and on). Thus, for some of the pairs and dance teams that only competed at Sectionals this fall, the data may not be totally accurate. I'm contemplating using Indy Challenge/Lake Placid IDC info too, but that depends on how much (more) free time I have.
    OK thanks. I'm planning to incorporate some of the significant summer competition scores into my own "Fun With Numbers" statistics for Nationals. The 2011 U.S. Nationals sub-forum has been created, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Just a thought - maybe chipso1 can cross-post the information in his blog?

vCash
    Moving these posts over from another thread since they're relevant here:
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Also she [Amanda Dobbs] is working on her 3t-3t combo and may try it in her SP at nationals.
    Just curious, is there an article link about Dobbs' 3T+3T or another source for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    http://www.formspring.me/jellybeansk8r
    Someone asked about it on her formspring, scroll down to read her response regarding pairs and the 3-3
    Felicia Zhang also has a formspring: http://www.formspring.me/feliciazhang

vCash
    Because Rachael has achieved about as much as she can as a skater. She looked like a junior skater compared to all the other ladies today. And how much more improved can she get?
    But some of the other skaters like Mirai and even Ashley can still improve. Heck look at how Alissa has improved with new coaching.
    So how do you know that Rachael can't also improve - everyone not named Rachael gets the benefit of the doubt in this regard?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    So how do you know that Rachael can't also improve - everyone not named Rachael gets the benefit of the doubt in this regard?
    Rachael may not be the most exciting or mesmerizing skater, but she's got a great head for competition--more so than any of the other U.S. ladies. That may be one of the most important qualities of all. Come Greensboro, I expect we'll be seeing Rachael "Phoenix" Flatt.

vCash
    OK thanks. I'm planning to incorporate some of the significant summer competition scores into my own "Fun With Numbers" statistics for Nationals. The 2011 U.S. Nationals sub-forum has been created, BTW.

Just a thought - maybe chipso1 can cross-post the information in his blog?
    Just saw that -- I'll post it tomorrow night. I think I will use Indy/LPIDC scores also...helps paint a better overall picture for those teams who haven't competed much this season.

And RD, I can cross post it in my blog (good idea, Sylvia!). I'll link that here tomorrow night, too.

vCash
    And RD, I can cross post it in my blog (good idea, Sylvia!). I'll link that here tomorrow night, too.
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

I also might do some tweet-analysis of the ladies leading up to Nats. (you can find it under my username- Homepage). If it comes to it, I hope you don't mind if I use your links for reference.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast