View Poll Results: Which US ladies will make the World Team?

Voters
237. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mirai Nagasu

    206 86.92%
  • Rachael Flatt

    140 59.07%
  • Christina Gao

    11 4.64%
  • Agnes Zawadzki

    8 3.38%
  • Alissa Czisny

    105 44.30%
  • Ashley Wagner

    39 16.46%
  • Amanda Dobbs

    2 0.84%
  • Vanessa Lam

    3 1.27%
  • Samantha Cesario

    3 1.27%
  • Other

    3 1.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 167
  1. #61
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Regardless of who makes the world team, I'm hopeful that the US can get 3 spots back. They've been awfully close the last 2 seasons-

    Despite it all, Alissa was a ur'd 3 loop in the LP short of 8th place at '09 Worlds, which combined with Rachael's 5th place would've given the US 13 pts. for '09 - '10.

    Mirai was a 2x away from the podium even with that mess of an LP, combined with Rachael's 9th place finish, it would've given the US 12 pts.

    Hope springs eternal....

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    12,996
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think it will be Nagasu and Wagner, with maybe Czisny sneaking in. I know she made the GP final but I have a feeling Flatt will end being off the team this year. Particularly if she doesnt do well at the actual final or skate her best at Natioanls. I dont think the USFSA will be too swayed by her showings on the grand prix when she clearly was in the weakest events, and in skating well it only showed her very limited scoring potential relative to the elite skaters as she could not even beat a junior skater with mistakes (Murakami) or Kostner with 80s jump content and mistakes. I dont think after last year they will be as inclined to want to market her as their top skater going into a major event regardless if she is doing fairly well in small events and continuing to be consistent.

  3. #63
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I think it will be Nagasu and Wagner, with maybe Czisny sneaking in. I know she made the GP final but I have a feeling Flatt will end being off the team this year. Particularly if she doesnt do well at the actual final or skate her best at Natioanls. I dont think the USFSA will be too swayed by her showings on the grand prix when she clearly was in the weakest events, and in skating well it only showed her very limited scoring potential relative to the elite skaters as she could not even beat a junior skater with mistakes (Murakami) or Kostner with 80s jump content and mistakes. I dont think after last year they will be as inclined to want to market her as their top skater going into a major event regardless if she is doing fairly well in small events and continuing to be consistent.
    ^Well, remember, she was skating with a nagging injury - Tendonitis and still won the LP both times even without any 3-3, which reportedly is planned later this season.

    Depending on how much deference the judges give her as defending champ at Nats, I have to say she's just as solid a prospect as Nagasu, Wagner and Czisny. Remember of those 4, Czisny is capable of the biggest skating disasters so it could be down to only solid Flatt v. just Wagner and Nagasu.

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I feel that we don't have a definitave top lady at the moment. That may change after the GP Final. If not, then then the World team will be decided solely by what happens at Nationals. It is shaping up to be an exciting event.

  5. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    236
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I voted for Mirai and Rachel. Mirai because she has the most potential to medal, Rachel because they need some they can count on to deliver the jumps (and not leave the US with just one skater at next year's worlds, ala Kerrigan).

    I also think Czisny has a good shot at it, she been skating so well this season, and she's her skating is so COP friendly. But she'll really have to prove she's not a head case at GPF and Nats.
    Yeah, I'm predicting Mirai and Rachael, unless Czisny can bring it at the GPF and Nationals. Then, I think they might bump Mirai off and do Rachael and Czisny.

  6. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Drives me crazy. Because there are aspects of all 4 ladies [Flatt, Nagasu, Wagner, Czisny] which I really can appreciate, and the fact that 2 of the 4 will be left off the team makes me

    I wouldn't feel crushed for either Gao or Zawadzki not making it because they are newcomers to the Sr. scene and have plenty of time left

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    456
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Mirai and whomever places higher in the GPF (especially if whoever that is medals...)

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Olympics withdrawal/exhastion
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,109
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HSGP21 View Post
    Mirai and whomever places higher in the GPF (especially if whoever that is medals...)
    Just curious, why do you think the GPF is going to have so much influence? Last year, the GPF wasn't enough to give the third place finisher at nationals the nod for the Olympics and Worlds. Granted, she didn't medal, but she wasn't last either.

  9. #69
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    Just curious, why do you think the GPF is going to have so much influence? Last year, the GPF wasn't enough to give the third place finisher at nationals the nod for the Olympics and Worlds. Granted, she didn't medal, but she wasn't last either.
    Yeah but Ashley skated pretty much the best she could at the GPF and still couldn't medal, and only ended up 4th because Rochette and Leonova bombed badly. Had those two skated as well as Ashley did there, Ashley definitely would have finished in 5th or maybe even 6th place. Plus her score was only 161ish which wasn't a big increase from her scores put up at her earlier GP events that season, and she wasn't even close to being in 3rd place points wise, let alone 2nd or 1st even though Yuna and Miki did not skate very well.

    I think Mirai skating so well at nationals also played a factor, had she made any visible mistakes, Ashley may have been given the nod over her, but Mirai was awesome and most people thought she deserved to win the title.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    8,838
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Drives me crazy. Because there are aspects of all 4 ladies [Flatt, Nagasu, Wagner, Czisny] which I really can appreciate, and the fact that 2 of the 4 will be left off the team makes me

    I wouldn't feel crushed for either Gao or Zawadzki not making it because they are newcomers to the Sr. scene and have plenty of time left
    Clearly it's time for the USFS to get a new morphing tool out. Create a NagaFlatt and a CzisnyFlatt and we'll win.

  11. #71
    Awaiting Validation
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    154
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Clearly it's time for the USFS to get a new morphing tool out. Create a NagaFlatt and a CzisnyFlatt and we'll win.
    Great idea. A CzisnyFlatt could win the gold.

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    456
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    Just curious, why do you think the GPF is going to have so much influence? Last year, the GPF wasn't enough to give the third place finisher at nationals the nod for the Olympics and Worlds. Granted, she didn't medal, but she wasn't last either.
    Last year at Nationals Mirai and Rachel were clearly the best out of relatively unknown field (minus Sasha Cohen, who bombed the long)...This year, Mirai has made a name for herself on the world scene, so I think USFS will want her to go and continue to do that.

    Rachel and Alissa have both won national titles, but have not 'hit the big time' internationally... placing well at the GPF would show they can hold their own in an international field, giving USFS a reason to send them to worlds....likely a last worlds for either given Alissa's age and Rachel's college plans.

    If Ashley were going to push through, it would have had to be years ago... I don't think it will ever happen at this point. USFS has no reason to promote her, as she has not had major success yet and is not being primed for future success. Christina and Agnes are too young...give them more experience and either could (and should) be on the world team next year.

  13. #73

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Take me back to TEXAS
    Posts
    694
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1112
    Not a prediction- but a hope (and how I voted)

    1. Alissa, 2. Ashley

    Alissa, if she hits her jumps, is without equal in US ladies. Ashley is very determined, and it's time for her skating luck to change.

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HSGP21 View Post
    Last year at Nationals Mirai and Rachel were clearly the best out of relatively unknown field (minus Sasha Cohen, who bombed the long)...This year, Mirai has made a name for herself on the world scene, so I think USFS will want her to go and continue to do that.

    Rachel and Alissa have both won national titles, but have not 'hit the big time' internationally... placing well at the GPF would show they can hold their own in an international field, giving USFS a reason to send them to worlds....likely a last worlds for either given Alissa's age and Rachel's college plans.

    If Ashley were going to push through, it would have had to be years ago... I don't think it will ever happen at this point. USFS has no reason to promote her, as she has not had major success yet and is not being primed for future success. Christina and Agnes are too young...give them more experience and either could (and should) be on the world team next year.
    I actually agree about Ashley. It's too bad she didn't do better at NHK because then she'd be at the GPF and have another shot to prove herself.

    As for Christina and Agnes, I would like to see them both assigned to 4CC regardless of if they go to Worlds/Jr. Worlds or not because I think it would give them a good opportunity to build up their international reputation and hopefully get some good result at a major international competition that isn't on the junior level and isn't worlds where placements often tend to be based on reputation.

  15. #75

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,337
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2731
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    ^Well, remember, she was skating with a nagging injury - Tendonitis and still won the LP both times even without any 3-3, which reportedly is planned later this season.

    .
    Czisny has been planning that 3-3 for the last decade. Great for her that she is doing so well this season, still I think for her 5 clean triples would be a nearly ideal skate, with no 3-3. It's something else for USFS to consider, that Flatt and Nagasu could land 6-7 triples, while that's almost impossible for Czisny. Although Csizny with 4-5 triples could be competitive with Flatt with 6-7 triples.

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Czisny has been planning that 3-3 for the last decade. Great for her that she is doing so well this season, still I think for her 5 clean triples would be a nearly ideal skate, with no 3-3. It's something else for USFS to consider, that Flatt and Nagasu could land 6-7 triples, while that's almost impossible for Czisny. Although Csizny with 4-5 triples could be competitive with Flatt with 6-7 triples.
    I've mentioned it before but I really think Czisny's 'volatility' may weigh on the judge's minds, ie - if Rachael lands 6 triples and Czisny lands 4 triples, the judges may reward Rachael with the spot.

  17. #77
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Olympics withdrawal/exhastion
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,109
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Yeah but Ashley skated pretty much the best she could at the GPF and still couldn't medal, and only ended up 4th because Rochette and Leonova bombed badly. Had those two skated as well as Ashley did there, Ashley definitely would have finished in 5th or maybe even 6th place. Plus her score was only 161ish which wasn't a big increase from her scores put up at her earlier GP events that season, and she wasn't even close to being in 3rd place points wise, let alone 2nd or 1st even though Yuna and Miki did not skate very well.
    True about Ashley, but the same could be said about the current ladies on their way to the GPF. If everyone skated their best, I don't think either would be on the podium. Rachael doesn't win unless others make mistakes. And while I love Alissa, her best would still probably include some jump problems. Also, the competition at the GPF this year is much weaker than last year's field.

    Don't get me wrong. I'm happy for Alissa and Rachael and hope they do well at the GPF. I just don't think it's going to help them if they don't deliver at nationals.

  18. #78
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    True about Ashley, but the same could be said about the current ladies on their way to the GPF. If everyone skated their best, I don't think either would be on the podium. Rachael doesn't win unless others make mistakes. And while I love Alissa, her best would still probably include some jump problems. Also, the competition at the GPF this year is much weaker than last year's field.

    Don't get me wrong. I'm happy for Alissa and Rachael and hope they do well at the GPF. I just don't think it's going to help them if they don't deliver at nationals.
    I think the only way it will help them at nationals is if both/either medal at the GPF and do so in a convincing fashion - ie not coming in 3rd with mediocre skates just because the favorites bombed.

  19. #79
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,017
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    Alissa, if she hits her jumps, is without equal in US ladies.
    That's the thing... Alissa, if she hits her jumps, is pretty much without equal in the world. That's why I don't think she'll ever be completely out of the discussion... the idea is just too enticing.

  20. #80
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    556
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Czisny has been planning that 3-3 for the last decade. ....... still I think for her 5 clean triples would be a nearly ideal skate, with no 3-3.
    From your lips to Alissa's, Yuka's, and Jason's ears....

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •