Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonDudd View Post
    This post cracks me up! I watched the tivo'd version of the show and was unimpressed! But reading your comments made me look at it as "entertainment" rather than an actual competition, if that makes any sense?
    Surely, you never considered this an actual competition. I don't think that was even remotely intended by the producers. It's entertainment pure and simple.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    No, I was making a lame attempt at snarkiness...I consider the posts here more entertaining than the skating, for whatever that is worth!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    There are people who think it's a joke and compare it to World Wrestling. I think every effort should be made to present skating in a positive light. I don't think this badly produced show will accomplish that.
    ITA. It seems so clearly fixed to me, and so cheesy, that World Wrestling does come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Roller skating on quad skates is a challenge! There's no front toe pick/back edge, so it's easy to lean a bit too far in one direction or the other and go right over. I've been ice skating for years, and bought a pair of roller skates thinking I could learn it quickly - no way. OMFG.

I've never tried roller blades, so I have no idea how those might work for me, if at all.
    I did quad (that's all there was) figures & dance as a kid, and I absolutely do not buy Keauna's performance on 4 wheels. Ice skating for years does not make one an elite skater. When I was a kid, we had ice for one month a year. A bunch of us from our club went, and a talented senior FS and figures competitor went out there and SKATED. The producers did not want to show what an incredible advantage Brandon Mychal Smith has, so they showed Keauna's first couple of minutes on wheels. Guaranteed, in half an hour, she would have been skating, and with a few lessons, wowing us. I also think painting Vince as a former competitive skater is deliberately misleading. He could have won some local basic skills type comp and been on that podium for pretty much nothing. Does anyone actually know?

I don't know what kind of skates you bought, but just like ice skates, tehre are many different degrees of quality. Freestyle skates have a huge toe stop that works as well as a toe pick. Roller blades will work a lot better for you than quads, especially if you get PicFrames, which are designed to mimic figure skates.

Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    All these "pros" must be great coaches.
    Not ALL of them. Skating and coaching are two different skills.

IMO, Dick Button's comment to Bethenny was priceless "Bend ze knees, five dollars please." That alone made the show worth watching. Has anyone ever had a lesson in which they were not asked at least once to bend ze knees more? All I could think the whole time she was skating was "BEND YOUR KNEES!"

I was also sorry to see Sean go. I really thought she was making great progress. The music was so fast that she didn't have time to recover from that first fall, which is what caused the second fall. I give her a lot of credit for continuing the way she did, but I suspect that she may be a bit relieved to be done.

vCash
    Dick Button's odd comments and mismatched number topped "The Soup" show this week. Didn't make him look good at all.

Don't see a clip available yet.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/the_...p_tonight.html

vCash
    Brooke and Keauna seem especially ditzy to me. I don't know if that's the way they actually are or if it's the editing.

So apparently this week Tanith and Ben will be skating? I think they should get more pros on the show-- like 3 or 4 performances an episode from actual skaters. They certainly have time for it in a 90 minute show that otherwise includes about 9 minutes of skating.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbny View Post
    ITA. It seems so clearly fixed to me, and so cheesy, that World Wrestling does come to mind.
    Skating wishes it had a third of the audience of the WWE. I'm just sayin'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    So apparently this week Tanith and Ben will be skating? I think they should get more pros on the show-- like 3 or 4 performances an episode from actual skaters. They certainly have time for it in a 90 minute show that otherwise includes about 9 minutes of skating.
    The more they show actual skating, the more the celeb skating will pale in comparison. The focus of the show of course has to stay on the contestants.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    The more they show actual skating, the more the celeb skating will pale in comparison. The focus of the show of course has to stay on the contestants.
    I have no problem with them having skating exhibitions as filler, but not people who fill other roles on the show, meaning Tanith and Johnny. It undermines their credibility.

vCash
    Putting out an early plea for detailed pbp tonite. Pats/Jets are taking over on ABC in our market.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Putting out an early plea for detailed pbp tonite. Pats/Jets are taking over on ABC in our market.
    Really? Are you in New England or something? I'm in New York, and they'll be showing the game on "My Nine", not on the major nets. So luckily, I'll be able to tape this show while we watch the game. That does mean I can't give you live PBP, though, so I hope others can come through for you.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    You are getting Monday Night Football on ABC?? It's only on ESPN around here! I'll have to check because a friend of mine won't pay for cable and he's always complaining because he can't get the "really good games anymore. "

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonDudd View Post
    You are getting Monday Night Football on ABC?? It's only on ESPN around here! I'll have to check because a friend of mine won't pay for cable and he's always complaining because he can't get the "really good games anymore. "
    If the team playing is local, the local affiliate will show the game, in that market only.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Really? Are you in New England or something? I'm in New York, and they'll be showing the game on "My Nine", not on the major nets. So luckily, I'll be able to tape this show while we watch the game. That does mean I can't give you live PBP, though, so I hope others can come through for you.
    Correct. Channel 5 and WMUR (Manchester, NH) are both carrying Pats/Jets.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Correct. Channel 5 and WMUR (Manchester, NH) are both carrying Pats/Jets.
    Come on, don't say that like it's a bad thing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Come on, don't say that like it's a bad thing!
    It's not a bad thing! Go, Pats!

Aceon: If you have cable or satellite, check to see if you can access ABCE - the main ABC feed for the east coast. That's the feed out of NYC, and they aren't showing the game on ABC here.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Time for a new thread for week three.

vCash
    I finally got around to watching last week's show. (How dumb is this....I was babysitting with my 6 month old grandson so that his parents could GO to the show, and I was so busy, making sure they could be there that it never occurred to me to watch!)

Jonny made me smile from the moment he came on the screen. He is really out there giving it his all. And, of course, it was pretty fun to see my daughter in the audience!
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    His parents went to Skating with the Stars? What did they think?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Watched the video of last week.. OMG... it's worse then I possibly imagined! Can I stand tonight.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920