Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Programs that audiences have never seen

Watching Carolina Kostner perform "Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun," I wondered how Angela Nikodinov's competitive program to that program would've turned out. She was planning to skate it at 2003 nationals before withdrawing after the short program. It was performed as a interpretive free at the Sears Open that season, I believe, but the competitive version has never aired.

Ditto with Michelle Kwan's 2006 free skate to "Prelude in C Sharp Minor Op. 18" program. Many really wanted to see a full-realized free skate under COP (rumor was it included 2 Lutzes and 2 flips).

Finally, Nicole Bobek reportedly had a free skate to "Titanic" planned in 1999. I'm not a huge fan of the music, but Nicole was such a powerhouse. Shizuka Arakawa had a great program to this in 2003.

Any other programs that audiences have never seen?

vCash
    Interesting topic! I thought the topic would be more like programs that were so bad that after a few tests they were aborted! LOL! People did see Sale/Pelletier's -was it called "Orchid" but they stopped doing it!

I have to see what Yagudin was planning for the 2002-2003 season free skate.
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 11-28-2010 at 11:48 PM.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Johnny's Liebstraum He dumped it for the putrid Mvirca.

vCash
    Lu Chen's 1997 LP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post

Ditto with Michelle Kwan's 2006 free skate to "Prelude in C Sharp Minor Op. 18" program. Many really wanted to see a full-realized free skate under COP (rumor was it included 2 Lutzes and 2 flips).
    Was this the LP choreographed by TT, and I thought it was to Rach? Michelle did two lutzes and 2 flips for Bolero at Worlds. I don't think Michelle's spins would ever be fully realized under COP though; She never had the flexibility required for it.

vCash
    Kimmie's "Ever After" before she dumped it in favor of gawdawful Nessun Dorma.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Was this the LP choreographed by TT, and I thought it was to Rach? Michelle did two lutzes and 2 flips for Bolero at Worlds. I don't think Michelle's spins would ever be fully realized under COP though; She never had the flexibility required for it.
    One report that summer said her layout included a 3flip3toe, 6 triples in total and 2 2axels. There was a trick where she would land a 2axel and go immediately into a catchfoot spin combination on the landing foot. There were also some successful camel and sit variations developed for her.

Honestly though, after seeing Asada's version, I was half glad I never get to watch (or listen to) Kwan's version. Not sure I could take on more crap from her after having to swallow Bolero from the previous season.

[still, I would love to see what Bolero and Bells would look like if she skated the choreography full out, even if it means just doing doubles]

Clueless American
    vCash
    Silverstein and Pekarek were supposed to do a Christopher Dean choreographed program to Cirque du Soleil music (if I'm remembering correctly) before they announced their split. Not sure if they actually had the program done or if it was only in talks, but I was looking forward to it.

I guess Davis and White's short dance to Amelie music would be another program unseen by the public. Or did they ever perform it other than at Champs Camp?
    Last edited by love skating; 11-29-2010 at 03:02 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    One report that summer said her layout included a 3flip3toe, 6 triples in total and 2 2axels. There was a trick where she would land a 2axel and go immediately into a catchfoot spin combination on the landing foot. There were also some successful camel and sit variations developed for her.

Honestly though, after seeing Asada's version, I was half glad I never get to watch (or listen to) Kwan's version. Not sure I could take on more crap from her after having to swallow Bolero from the previous season.

[still, I would love to see what Bolero and Bells would look like if she skated the choreography full out, even if it means just doing doubles]
    What other skater could pull off a piece like Bells other than Michelle? That layout and those spins sounds brilliant. She totally could have won the 2006 Olympics

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    What other skater could pull off a piece like Bells other than Michelle? That layout and those spins sounds brilliant. She totally could have won the 2006 Olympics
    Don't say that. I will always wonder what would've happened if Kwan had taken the 2005 season off to heal her body.

vCash
    There were a couple of rumors about unseen programs from way back that I always wanted to know whether they were true or not.

The first rumor was that before doing the MLK FD for the 2002 Olympics, Anissina and Peizerat were doing a "Fire and Water" themed FD and were using original music by Maxime Rodriguez that, since it went unused, later got handed off to Delchoes for their 2004 "Merlin" FD.

The second rumor was that in addition to K&O, Grishuk and Platov were also originally working on a Carmen FD for the 98 season, but then changed it to Bolero(gasp!), and then settled on Memorial with the Bolero rhythm mixed in, and all the changes is why the program seemed really unfinished when it debuted on the GP.

I'm interested to know if either of those are true. The A&P one was based on a comment from just one poster, but I remember a few people who said they observed G&P working on a Carmen program in practice at the time.
    Last edited by casken; 11-29-2010 at 04:23 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    The second rumor was that in addition of K&O, Grishuk and Platov were also originally working on a Carmen FD for the 98 season, but then changed it to Bolero(gasp!), and then settled on Memorial with the Bolero rhythm mixed in, and all the changes is why the program seemed really unfinished when it debuted on the GP.
    What was Tarasova smoking in 97 to think that Bolero would have ever work? I guess someone finally informed them that the program would be compared to the most well known free dance in skating history.

vCash
    On the subject of Platov, I'd have loved to have seen the programs from when he skated with Navka for a couple of months in the summer of 1992.

vCash
    I wish so much that we could have seen MK's 2006 programs. (Heck I even wanted to see her costumes.) The rumors of what her long program was like were so provocative, I'll never get completely over not seeing it. In fact I keep hoping videos of it or parts of it will show up someday. I'm sure she has some, and hard to believe none were made of the test skate the USFSA did to determine if she would be good to go. After all the speculation of that season and all the suspense over what would happen, never seeing her programs in final form leaves me with such a sense of unfinished buisness.

vCash
    Jeff Buttle's Eclogue was planned to be his LP for the 2008/2009 season before he announced his retirement. He did perform it as one of his routines in shows that year, though. It was absolutely stunning. IMO his most beautiful program.

And also speaking of Jeff, we can't forget his 'retired too soon' Glenn Gould LP. Though he's brought it back this year, using it for his program at the Japan Open! As gorgeous as the GG program was, I'll always remember it as the program to which he sliced open his pants at Skate Canada (after which he made some sort of joking comment about thankfully he wore underwear, or how the event would have gotten an R rating or something like that).

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Lu Chen's 1997 LP
    I will forever have hope that some TV station or fan somewhere have a copy of Chen's performance to Debussy's la mer from the 1997 world's qualifying round, and that it would resurface someday. Forever

Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    Jeff Buttle's Eclogue was planned to be his LP for the 2008/2009 season before he announced his retirement. He did perform it as one of his routines in shows that year, though. It was absolutely stunning. IMO his most beautiful program.
    He skated the competitive version at the 2009 Japan open, and it was a clean performance (no 3-axels though.) It really was stunning (But I still like Ararat more )

vCash
    I wanted to see Daisuke's SP that Stephane choreographed this summer...

vCash
    Someone did a montage of what bells of Moscow would have looked like, I think it would have been amazing I bet mk does have video butt so far hasn't shown us any of stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASe0-XmDslI
    Last edited by DickButtonFan; 11-29-2010 at 08:28 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post

And also speaking of Jeff, we can't forget his 'retired too soon' Glenn Gould LP. Though he's brought it back this year, using it for his program at the Japan Open! As gorgeous as the GG program was, I'll always remember it as the program to which he sliced open his pants at Skate Canada (after which he made some sort of joking comment about thankfully he wore underwear, or how the event would have gotten an R rating or something like that).
    That was amazing. Thank you so much for making me aware of that.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Krylova/Ovsiannikov planned to skate to Carmina Burana in 1999/2000.
    Instead they skated their pros routine to it a couple of seasons later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast