Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    Would he want - or tolerate - a dish he made being described in the way he referred to Fabio or Stephen's dishes?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Would he want - or tolerate - a dish he made being described in the way he referred to Fabio or Stephen's dishes?
    Who knows? But I kind of think if he cooked a bad dish, he'd take it.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Food shows are tough for viewers, think about it. We can only see what the contestants are offering up; we have no other way of judging for ourselves. We can't smell or taste it. Without someone like Bourdain to really tell us how horrid something is, we'd get various forms of "that wasn't really very good" from the other three. It's not that we're not capable intellectually of making the judgment for ourselves, it's that we're not given the goods to judge. Not like skating or American Idol or Project Runway where we can make our own judgments because we can hear or see what is being judged. Here we have to go with what the judges say, and Bourdain was the one for me this week who really pointed out the painfully bad ones best. Otherwise it would have just been shades of grey from the other three.

"Would he want - or tolerate - a dish he made being described in the way he referred to Fabio or Stephen's dishes?"

I think he's past the point of cooking that horribly and if he did, he's past the point of trying to pass it off as good, but I also think he's enough of a chef that he'd own up to it being that horrid if he's called on it.

vCash
    People, this is Anthony Bourdain we're talking about.

Enough said.

vCash
    I think TB was only pointing out the obvious... that the dish looked bad and that pasta isn't served on paper anywhere, even in the poorest households.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I liked Spike during season 4, but I didn't think he should have made it as far as he did this season, so I was glad he brought it and was in the top. Makes it easier to root for him!

It's hard to predict who will stay around for awhile. I thought Jennifer would have done better. I'm guessing Richard will probably make it the finals.

@Beefcake - you missed season 6? How could you have missed the Brothers Voltaggio?!?

vCash
    Oh Elia...bitter pill-ness does not become you. Even though it seems like it's all you know how to do.

Elia Blasts Tom Colicchio Interview

Yeah, not sorry at all to see her go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    Oh Elia...bitter pill-ness does not become you. Even though it seems like it's all you know how to do.

Elia Blasts Tom Colicchio Interview

Yeah, not sorry at all to see her go.
    It's weird, I liked her on the actual season. She seems to have really changed and not for the better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    It's weird, I liked her on the actual season. She seems to have really changed and not for the better.
    I got a really "full of herself" vibe. Did anyone catch the Christian Laboutin shoes she wore to judging? Who wears $600+ shoes in the stew room?
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    I got a really "full of herself" vibe. Did anyone catch the Christian Laboutin shoes she wore to judging? Who wears $600+ shoes in the stew room?
    I thought they were Laboutin's because of the sole, but convinced myself that they were not. I've heard some of the comments about Tom C from other chefs, so that didn't surprise me tremendously.

I did, however, wonder about the people in the challenge that left out ingredients from the original dish or added components that weren't there.

vCash
    I just watched the first episode online and really enjoyed it. I think the right person was eliminated first, although Steven sometimes came across as out of place among the other chefs. I couldn't stand Angelo for the first half of his season, but by the end I was hoping he would win and I'm happy that he won the first challenge.

I still like Carla, hootie who's and all. Jen still bugs me because she comes across as so arrogant.

Looking at the previews, I think this will be a very entertaining season!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I liked her at the beginning of S2, but towards the end, she started getting on my nerves. She pings my "not quite right" button. Tom C. hit it on the head when he said that she expected special treatment because she worked for him for a few days. IIRC, a lot of former cheftestants have worked for/with Tom C. I repeat what I said earlier--Elia knew there was something wrong with her dish when she refused to watch the comments and when she begged them not to send her home; that was a personal plea, not one based on her food. The story hamster can spin alternative endings in her mind all it wants, but her food didn't even LOOK good, and no one liked it. Not any of the judges, not any of the contestants. And really, she got as far as she did in S2 because Cliff was kicked off (and rightly so, but I think had he stayed on, he would have won) and it was a weak season. Had Elia been in seasons 3, 4, or 6, she would have been gone pretty early.

As for her complaining about the rules not being followed...well...they were told to improve it. To me, improving it means maybe adding/deleting some of the original ingredients, so long as the main protein was left in-tact. Obviously, none of the chefs were going to do it the exact same way. If all the chefs (besides Elia) changed ingredients, then obviously there was some leeway there. It doesn't even seem reasonable to me that the challenge was to make the dish the exact same way all over again. Elia liked the original dish, she didn't think she should have been eliminated, and she paid for her stubborness.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    The story hamster can spin alternative endings in her mind all it wants
    As an aside, this is the funniest thing I've read online in ages!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    And really, she got as far as she did in S2 because Cliff was kicked off (and rightly so, but I think had he stayed on, he would have won) and it was a weak season.
    Actually, no he wouldn't have. In several interviews, Tom and the other judges have all said that Cliff had the weakest dish of that challenge and was most likely the one going to be sent home that night anyway. If you go back and watch the episode, their comments during the meal basically infer the same thing.

The incident in question took place after the challenge but before judges table if I remember correctly. Or at least wasn't dealt with until after the elimination challenge took place.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    It makes absolutely no sense to not change ANY of the ingredients in your original dish. Then the challenge would be to simply replicate your worst dish and hope it isn't the worst one again today. She either didn't listen or she is spinning this because she has regrets. I am betting very big on the latter.

What happened with Cliff? I didn't watch that season. Did he get DQ'd?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    What happened with Cliff? I didn't watch that season. Did he get DQ'd?
    I don't know if dq'd is the right term, he was removed from the competition because he and Ilan thought it would be funny to shave Marcel's head, so Cliff physically accosted Marcel and held him down. Tom came in pretty quickly and told him he was out of the competition for manhandling Marcel.

vCash
    I still find it completely incomprehensible that a grown man would assault someone who was sound asleep. It seemed like something a group of 9 year old bullies might attempt at summer camp. Cliff was very, very lucky that Marcel did not press charges.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by meggonzo View Post
    Beefcake - you missed season 6? How could you have missed the Brothers Voltaggio?!?
    Ah, yes, I "do" know of the brothers' iness ... as I've seen some pics and vids.

I actually missed four seasons. I got pissed off at the Season 3 repetitiveness and auffings (CJ's especially), and quit the franchise.

But, then my Christine-esque DVR picked up marathons of Seasons 4, 5, and Masters and sucked me back in.

Whee, just in time to see Angelo's season in real-time! Hooked, again. For now.

vCash
    CJ deserved his auffing though, that was a terrible dish.

vCash
    I didn't say CJ's squishy broccolini-induced elimination* was undeserved, just that it pissed me off! CJ got the short end of the stick on the dishes distribution for that challenge. Shafted!

Nothing left of interest to me so I skipped the next two episodes, merely FFd through the finale, and then forgot about Top Chef until said eville DVR shennigans.

(*To wit, that dish looked like something that would come out of Swamp Thing )

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast