Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by meggonzo View Post
    I don't know if you watched "Watch What Happens Live" afterwards, but Mike actually did say if it hadn't been for Richard, he probably wouldn't have made the finale. He said that Richard made them all be better chefs. Not that I'm a Mike fan, but he's probably not as big a jerk as people make him out to be!
    I didn't see that. We were talking about his statements at the end of the finale episode. We really don't know just how nice or terrible people on these shows are. But, you can only do so much with editing. So, to me, the only real issue is just how big of a jerk Mike is.

vCash
    I think it was kind of awesome that in a BLIND taste test, Mike the Chauvinist picked all girls, and Richard picked Antonia besides saying some pretty negative things about her.

It makes me wonder if maybe all the judging in Top Chef shouldn't be blind--I wonder how different the outcomes would be...
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by meggonzo View Post
    I don't know if you watched "Watch What Happens Live" afterwards, but Mike actually did say if it hadn't been for Richard, he probably wouldn't have made the finale. He said that Richard made them all be better chefs. Not that I'm a Mike fan, but he's probably not as big a jerk as people make him out to be!
    I agree. If it wasn't for Richard...and Mike stealing from him, Mike wouldn't have made it that far.
    Mike should send a dozen roses and fine chocolates to Tom every month.

vCash
    My, what a sour-grapes title change of the thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    My, what a sour-grapes title change of the thread.
    Seriously? You're serious?

It's an homage -- note the "Genuis" part -- and it's definitely unshocking to anyone who watched Cocky Elfin Lesbian Boy Genius.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Yeah, the title makes perfect sense. It is mostly a joke. Since he first appeared in his season everyone said he looked like a lesbian, I know I did. Then the elfin part got brought up and it made sense. He is cocky, he is a genius and it was NOT a shock that he won. Therefore...
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Seriously? You're serious?
    As a heart attack. Well, not that serious.

Really, I only have a problem with you calling the end "unshockingly", because I don't think this was at all unshocking. Tom usually gets his way, and with him seeming to be a Mike fan, I thought the outcome favored Mike. I actually think that if it were not known that Wolfgang changed his vote from Antonia to Mike making the finals after speaking with Tom (which, I hope, did cause an uproar among fans of the show), Tom's boy Mike would have won Top Chef. Perhaps Mike actually had the best final dishes and truly deserved the win, but the show feared a serious backlash if Mike had won.

Of course, pure conjecture. I didn't even watch the final show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I think it was kind of awesome that in a BLIND taste test, Mike the Chauvinist picked all girls, and Richard picked Antonia besides saying some pretty negative things about her.

It makes me wonder if maybe all the judging in Top Chef shouldn't be blind--I wonder how different the outcomes would be...
    I agree!! If it really is all about the food this should be how all the challenges are judged.

vCash
    Oh man, a season of BLIND judging on Top Chef would be epic. If they ever did that they should have done it this season since none of these contestants are new to the judges. The only thing is that at least they can defend their food or explain and that has come in to play a few times.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Whee, a thread title ago I asked "AKA 'the Why Isn't Carla Hosting her own Show' Show"? No reaction to that thread title.

Well, anyway, Carla "is in fact" hosting her own show now.

It's one of the replacements for the axed daytime dramas AMC and OLTL.

Tom Gunn is a co-host of the other soap replacement!

So what will you be watching instead? An hour-long show all about food called “The Chew.” It’ll be hosted by “Top Chef” fan favorite Carla Hall, “Iron Chef” Michael Symon, nutrition expert Daphne Oz, “What Not to Wear’s” Clinton Kelly and Mario Batali.

According to the release from ABC, the show will cover all angles of food, examining it “as a source of joy, health, family ritual, friendship, breaking news, dating, fitness, weight loss, travel adventures and life’s moments.”

That one will launch in September.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    It's hard to believe I'm saying this, but I think Carla is almost too hyper to host a show...

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    It's like Oprah, but for food.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    I'll tune in; but, reserve judgement until I see what the show really turns out to be.

vCash
    I'm amazed at the amount of shows former cheftestants have gotten. Marcel has a show on the Sci Fy channel (I saw it. Didn't like it. Even though Marcel was actually tolerable on it.), Blaise has Blaise Off on the Science channel, and there are three former contestants of The Next Food Network Star that have shows on The Cooking Channel, all from the season Melissa D'Arrabian won.

One of them is the guy a lot thought should have won--the concept for his show was to take slightly out of the norm ingredients and adapt them to American cuisine. His show is kind of like a food travelogue from the previews I've seen. Kelsey, the annoying youngun, also has a straightforward cooking show. I still find her a bit perky, but I have to say, I'd have eaten everything that she cooked. When I take a cheat day on my diet, I am SO MAKING her mac and cheese. I forget the third one's name, I just recognized him after the fact that he was a FN cheftestant.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Anyone watching Top Chef Masters? I am. I haven't watched it before, and boy is it . Was glad last week when the annoying uni-browed Canadian was eliminated. But then they had to resurrect him.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Top Chef Masters is usually a lot better. I hate the host--Curtis Stone is so douchy, and I get the impression that the judges for this incarnation are more about what's trendy than what's good. It's a different mentality. Kelly Choi as host was SO MUCH BETTER.

Previously, Top Chef Masters used a different format than the normal TC, and I think the other format worked better since it's not going to have as much drama. What usually happens is, there are only four TC Masters, and the judges give them a score based out of five stars + the average of the diners' stars=who stays and who goes, and at the end the top two go on. There's usually a lot of joshing between the contestants, lots of camraderie, and lots of stuff that's just plain hysterical. Thomas Keller of the French Laundry on TC was hysterical--he hadn't been shopping in decades and seeing him trying to navigate Whole Foods was Other chefs had no idea how to chop quickly or put equipment together simply because it had been so long since they'd had to do it.

vCash
    I am watching Tp Chef Masters. Haven't gotten into it very much but I never do with the Masters. I am rooting for Mary Sue as she is the only one I recognized right away and knew her name. Having said that I probably just doomed her. I haven't seen the 2nd episode yet, it is sitting in my DVR box.

Watching the 2nd episode right now and I have to root for the girl from New Orleans since her charity is the Louisiana SPCA! Yay animals!
    Last edited by BigB08822; 04-15-2011 at 04:37 AM.
    -Brian

vCash
    Yay Mary Sue won an elimination challenge! I guess I didn't doom her after all, she better watch out next week then, haha.

I did, however, doom Sue. I suppose my voodoo had to go after someone.
    -Brian

vCash
    I've eaten in Hugh Acheson's restaurant in Athens, GA a few times and the food is terrific. I do want to run up and wax his unibrow though.

In some ways I like this version of Top Chef Masters a lot and in other ways, I don't. I don't miss Kelly Choi at all. I do miss Gael Green and her hats. What I miss from the old format is all of the really well known chefs like Wylie Dufresne, Anita Lo, John Besch, Marcus Samuleson, etc. I find this group interesting, but I only knew who about half of them were. I've eaten in John Currence and Hugh Acheson's restaurants, both fabulous. I guess over all, I like it. I need some version of Top Chef on Wednesday nights and this works for me
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    I find both formats interesting.
    It's enjoyable to learn something about these renowned chefs; and realize that they are people; not just "cooking machines".

I've followed Mary Sue's career for many years.
    I'm rooting for her.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast