Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

No Oprah finale thread?

So Oprah's show is finally over, right?

Not that I care... I really, really, REALLY can't stand the woman.

Just surprised I haven't seen a discussion.

vCash
    I enjoyed the shows she did that were of some substance and relevant to the viewer, but I couldn't stomach one minute of the overindulgent/celebrity-worship lovefest that marked the last 2 shows, nor the borderline sermon she gave for her final sendoff. Just too self-important for my tastes and the exact opposite of humbled gratitude.

Still, I think she's done a lot more good in the world than bad, no doubt, so who am I to judge I guess.

vCash
    I'll miss her show, I watched yesterday and loved that part where all the black men who were under Oprah's college scholarship walked around her holding candles. I was in tears!!

Kathy Griffin once said it best, "with Oprah we kind of do what she says"

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I thought it was kind of dull and boring. Ok, I thought it was REALLY dull and boring. She just stood there and talked. It was her finale so she can do it how she wants, lord knows she earned it. I just felt like it came across as a commencement speech. I'd have preferred more videos and memories but I know she has been doing that the last couple of weeks.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Nice that she was finally able to do a couple of shows that were all about her.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I just heard the excerpt on the radio from the children talking about how they are part of the Oprah generation or something like that. It was enough to turn me off.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I tuned in yesterday and was bored out of my mind. It didn't hold my attention at all. Also, it was way over the top IMO how she acted like this was the "end" and she was saying good bye. Um, the woman has her OWN network now, so it's not like she is disappearing off of TV. If anything, she has now expanded her self-important empire. So it's really not the end of anything. Just a bunch of hype over someone who thinks she has made more of a difference in the world than she actually has. I almost vomited when she said she always wanted to be a teacher and this was her 'classroom'. As a teacher myself, I hardly think that hosting a talk show and making gazillions of dollars is anything like what I do on a daily basis (for far less money). She probably wouldn't last a week in a real classroom by herself especially without a staff full of people writing her lesson plans .

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I have all the respect in the world for the woman and her abilities. But I have never watched a single show. I'm just not into that type of show, and I was always working when it came on anyway....I did watch part of one show while I was walking a treadmill at a gym, and I thought it was the silliest thing I ever saw. But more power to the O! She's a brilliant business person.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
    I enjoyed the shows she did that were of some substance and relevant to the viewer, but I couldn't stomach one minute of the overindulgent/celebrity-worship lovefest that marked the last 2 shows, nor the borderline sermon she gave for her final sendoff. Just too self-important for my tastes and the exact opposite of humbled gratitude.

Still, I think she's done a lot more good in the world than bad, no doubt, so who am I to judge I guess.
    That part made me want to hurl....especially when Jada Pinkett was onstage, and that patronizing comment she made about Oprah not having children of her own, but being a "mother to millions". Maybe it's me, but I had a real problem with the way she said it, the words and the tone.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    It seems that the phrase "she's a brilliant businessperson" is the modern world's answer to "bless her heart."

I don't like Oprah, either. Except in The Color Purple.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    It seems that the phrase "she's a brilliant businessperson" is the modern world's answer to "bless her heart."

I don't like Oprah, either. Except in The Color Purple.

She was pretty good in The Women of Brewster Place too.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I like Oprah ok...she has done a lot of good. As far as celebrities go, she's one of the least annoying IMO. That being said, I hadn't watched her show more than once or twice in the last 10 years. I was always working when it was on..and if I was at home, I had something else I'd rather be doing.

vCash
    I taped the show and am glad I did. She posed some serious questions and made me think. She's my inspiration. She also emailed me. We can all try to be more like Oprah and follow her way of thinking.

vCash
    Unlike Cupid, I was underwhelmed by the final show. I'm not really an Oprah uber, but enjoy some of the topics she has presented. She loses me when she gets all preachy. That said, the Men of Morehouse segment on the penultimate show was really something. Imagine having the wealth to be able to do that much for so many? I can only dream.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    I'll miss her show, I watched yesterday and loved that part where all the black men who were under Oprah's college scholarship walked around her holding candles. I was in tears!!

Kathy Griffin once said it best, "with Oprah we kind of do what she says"
    Was she canonising herself? I actually hope this shows up on youtube just so I can see this unbelievable essay in self-agrandisement for myself. The clips on the news here - yes the UK news actually thought we'd be interested, despite the fact her show was dropped by mainstream UK networks eons ago - were just beyond hysterical!

vCash
    How will we know what books to read without Oprah suggesting titles for us?
    If ignorance is bliss, I'm overjoyed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
    I couldn't stomach one minute of the overindulgent/celebrity-worship lovefest that marked the last 2 shows
    Definitely won't miss how she would announce the celebrities before they came on stage. E.g., "Celine Diioooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnn!" "Julia Robbbbertttttttttts"
    If ignorance is bliss, I'm overjoyed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    Definitely won't miss how she would announce the celebrities before they came on stage. E.g., "Celine Diioooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnn!" "Julia Robbbbertttttttttts"

vCash
    Goodbye, Oprah!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Good lord the woman's been leaving forever. She's the house guest from Hell.

I worked with a radiology resident who was a TV weather guy in his first incarnation of himself. He worked with Oprah way before she was *Oprah* at a small Chicago TV station. He said she was a really nice person with an incredible work ethic which explains why *she's a brilliant businesswoman.* Bless her heart.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast