Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    overlooked mistakes on most skaters. the rigging of the events.
    but most unsatisfied that adam/jeremy didn't
    make into final-yes they are alternates, but they could have got in. if the fought.

bright spots. ashleys lp in cor--good for her--keeps it up and gets more flow will be better skater-factor at nationals
    rachel--good skates in season -nice for her in final-will be factor at nationals-
    mirai--good teb-will be factor at nationals-should
    alissa-nice for her to make it in.
    overall-pleased at most outcomes in gp events.
    nice season for most skaters.
    mao-feel bad.
    miki--good skate-given cor in my opinion-but good skate nonetheless.

dance-decent skates from all,
    pairs, good skates from most.

vCash
    Alissa Czisny doing good : for once a skater who has the full package manages to reach the top (after Yu Na and Mao as the most recent exemples).

vCash
    Men - JPN men dominate!
    Joubert - a bridge too far. I think the clock is ticking and he should retire. He's had a good run but he hasn't shown much this year.
    Verner - leaves out the Quad and changes his training, thus gets some consistency back. I also think he caught a break that Brezina is out injured, so he might have the momentum to medal by Worlds.
    Chan - If he even gets a little more consistent, he and the JPN men will be fighting for the Worlds podium most likely. I also am uncomfortable with multiple falls getting those scores this year.
    Abbott, Rippon, Mroz - Paled in comparison to previous GP seasons for US men, so I hope they can start pulling it together by Worlds.

Women -
    Ando - jump clinic dominates. But, still battling injuries. I somehow don't feel going forward she'll win Worlds once everyone else gets their act together
    Suzuki - still going strong.
    Czisny - it was nice to see her atop the podium at SC with a big score, yet she's reverted to form more recently *sigh*
    Asada - is she merely repeating last season where she'll be strong by Worlds? Or is there something more serious going on??
    Murakami - OK. Decent debut. Nothing special for me...yet.
    Flatt- pretty much where she was at this point last year; most stable of the US ladiezzz but I'm more pleased with her packaging- going for an entertaining, cutesy look, and not a balletic or classical look that she can't pull off.
    Nagasu - Also where she was last year at this point. Maybe a little better.
    Korpi - OK I guess. Improved but perhaps a little overscored IMO.
    Kostner - Performed well considering her injury and she is lovely to watch when she's relaxed. But like Ando, will she do OK by Worlds? Will she revert back to form when attempting more ambitious programs?? Has she been around for too long??

Pairs
    S/S- still dominate although not as invincible
    Biggest story is the re-emergence of Russian depth -B/L, K/S, I/M. V/T may round it out later this season.
    Chinese are hitting a blip with subpar performances by P/T, Z/Z out and S/H doing well and are a bright spot, but not eligible for Worlds [I think]
    Americans OK and actually better than last 2 seasons, but probably buried again this season with the re-emergence of certain other Russian and Canadian pairs

Ice Dance
    D/W - leaders after the GP series, but P/B awfully close point-wise. I wonder if the judges have some reservations about establishing D/W as the lead contenders with V/M out. C/P were picking up the points but I think some of this was the result of them being the #1 CAN team. I expect Russia with B/S to only get stronger.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Chinese are hitting a blip with subpar performances by P/T, Z/Z out and S/H doing well and are a bright spot, but not eligible for Worlds [I think]
    You are correct.

Sui was born July 18, 1995 and she had to be born before July 1, 1995 to be eligible for ISU Senior Championships this season.

S/H can go back to Jr. Worlds this season, but not to 4CCs or Worlds. S/H can also compete in International Senior Competitions (like the Sr. GP and Senior B competitions).

vCash
    I don't understand why people are freaking out about the lack of quality on the ladies GP this year. It's like this every year! Last year Granny won a bronze medal at Skate America with a 4 triple freeskate in AN OLYMPIC YEAR! Not every competition is going to be as well skated as the Olympics and Worlds, and that's especially true for the ladies. I've actually found the skating level to be acceptable, especially in a post-Olympic year. The exciting part is that Euros, Worlds, and 4CC are wide open!

vCash
    Ice Dance is boring this year. I thought P&B were finally being seen as contenders by the judges, but no. Apparently, D&W have no competition, so meh. Maybe I'll start caring about dance again in the back half of the quad when there should be some actual competition. At least the juniors are competitive. At least the battle between the Russians should be decent though.

I'm enjoying Pairs, esp. the resurgence of the Russians. Russian Nationals is gonna be fierce.

I'm still not sure on Ladies and Men. There are a lot of good men, but the ladies are still a bit boring. Though I'm thrilled that Alissa appears to be slowly getting more consistent.

vCash
    I was struck by the large number of empty seats in all of the arenas even in Japan with 2 world champions competing. Yet the announcers kept talking about how BIG skating is in China and Japan. Maybe they should book the events in smaller arenas.

I could barely hear the music for the single skaters on Universal Sports. Just me?

Don't know how I feel about Chan winning the men's final.
    He stayed on his feet for once, but did he deserve to be there in the first place?

The best event was the men's short at NHK.

vCash
    The camera work at the GPF was horrid. Most of it was too far away and I hated the overhead cam. Of course it wasn't as bad as the GP event that zoomed in on the skater's feet several times a program.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I was struck by the large number of empty seats in all of the arenas even in Japan with 2 world champions competing. Yet the announcers kept talking about how BIG skating is in China and Japan. Maybe they should book the events in smaller arenas.

:
    Nobody is watching FS anymore. The reality is that CoP is killing this sport. The only benefit CoP has brought about is for ardent FSUers to download those stupid protocols after each competition and argue which underrotation call is fair or unfair, obviously for the futile purpose of 'convincing' the detractors of his/her favourite skater.

With Kim gradually fading away, the South Koreans will definitely abandon FS in mass. Japan? It's already quite saturated there. China? Forget about it. U.S., Canada? It's already dead there.

Any hope in Russia?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    The camera work at the GPF was horrid. Most of it was too far away and I hated the overhead cam. Of course it wasn't as bad as the GP event that zoomed in on the skater's feet several times a program.
    I got a text from a friend who loves skating and doesn't follow it closely: "is this the way they always film skating?"

vCash
    I'm sad for Mao's GPseries,but I think she's keeping improving.
    Murakami is really impressive.I love all of her numbers,especially her EX number.soooooooo cute!

about pair,I really enjoy SS's LP,but...I think Rubin is a little old ,that made them not too harmonious....and the junior champion's basic skills are pretty good,they may have good chance from this season.

without VM and Kerrs,I don't feel very good about the ice dance.DW are good,but can't make me crazy.

man
    I really hope to see more European skaters....they used to have more intersting programs and variety types
    I love Dai-chan,hope the collision with Kozuka during GPF practice didn't hurt him too hard...
    for Chan,I don't love him.but after watch him in person,I must say he deserved to win.his skating skills are so impressive,high speed,lagest coverage,free and energatic.I feel comfortable and joy while watching him skating.the only other made me feel this way is Kozuka's SP.
    I once thought Oda will win the GPF,his practice was soooooooooooooooo good.the second fall is really strange....and he seemed got hurt.even in Gala his jumps had some problems...

vCash
    5 ladies scoring within 7 points at the GPF and all above 170 bodes well for at least a closely fought European, 4CC and World Championships - maybe not the highest quality ever, but at least very competitive amongst 8-10 ladies (+ Nagasu, Korpi, perhaps Makarova and Phaneuf on a good day, etc.)

But at least the top ladies are bunched closer than the other disciplines (where it looks like the judges have already predetermined the top 2-3 men/pairs/dance already based on the huge gap in component scores vs. the others).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dundas View Post
    Nobody is watching FS anymore. The reality is that CoP is killing this sport. The only benefit CoP has brought about is for ardent FSUers to download those stupid protocols after each competition and argue which underrotation call is fair or unfair, obviously for the futile purpose of 'convincing' the detractors of his/her favourite skater.

With Kim gradually fading away, the South Koreans will definitely abandon FS in mass. Japan? It's already quite saturated there. China? Forget about it. U.S., Canada? It's already dead there.

Any hope in Russia?
    Sadly, I sort of agree. And I do enjoy downloading and analyzing the protocols.

vCash
    If those Russian girls pan out I don't why FS popularity would go down there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I was struck by the large number of empty seats in all of the arenas even in Japan
    We could not understand that at all - since tickets to NHK were unobtainable here. My friend and I tried several times at different sites to get tickets - no luck. Some other friends also tried - all sold out.

And yet we saw all those empty seats at the competition and were about it.

I can only guess that scalpers bought boatloads of tickets hoping to make a killing and then got stuck with them???

I do not understand why we couldnt buy tickets when there were so many empty seats - but had those seats been for sale, believe me, there were plenty of people here who wanted to buy them.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    This! I'm generally appalled by the camera work. And not just the GPF, and not just this year. Bad camera work happens a lot and I'd like to be able to do something about it. The camera work from TEB was absolutely appalling for almost all the competition. Similarly the camera work for worlds last year (where were they again?) was dreadful. And it's always bad when it comes from China.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how we go about getting the ISU to put basic requirements in the contract with the host country (eg full-body shots only, no long distance shots, NO overhead cameras, etc)?

vCash
    ISU could hire camera crews themselves are require the event organizers to pay the camera crews. That way ISU could make some money, and we could insure decent camera work.

Heck, the ISU already sends a camera person that films for the judges/tech committee. Based on the GPF stream, I'd rather see the judges version.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Having a specific FS camera crew would be heaven - they could become experts at it.

But even if this is not the solution, somehow we have to get the message to ISU that they have to do something!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    We could not understand that at all - since tickets to NHK were unobtainable here. My friend and I tried several times at different sites to get tickets - no luck. Some other friends also tried - all sold out.

And yet we saw all those empty seats at the competition and were about it.

I can only guess that scalpers bought boatloads of tickets hoping to make a killing and then got stuck with them???

I do not understand why we couldnt buy tickets when there were so many empty seats - but had those seats been for sale, believe me, there were plenty of people here who wanted to buy them.
    It is also possible that the organizers reserved seats for sponsors and VIPs who didn't use them. I had that experience when the World Championships were in my hometown.

I'm sorry you didn't get to attend. The NHK was the best event in my opinion!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12