• Miki Ando's 2 wins

5 2.76%
  • Plushy not being there

0 0%
  • Other

9 4.97%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

What was the most surprising thing this season?

?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I voted for Mao. The judging of Patrick Chan should be the surprise, not his actual skating as he has never been Mr. Consistent.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I have to go with Mao. I never thought she could consistently place this low. It is sad, and I hope it is a temporary setback.

vCash
    How come the Tomas Verner Renaissance was not on the list? Seeing him skate so close to clean at both events and win COR was very surprising in the best way possible! Hope he kicks some butt at the GPF! Oh how I love Tommy

vCash
    For me it was a split between Yuna and Orser.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Of the list, for sure the Zhang's flip. Mao was of the podium last year, and we knew she's reworking the jumps, so no big surprise there. But For Caroline to fix the flip in few months the way she has really took me by surprise. She still needs A LOT of work, but good for her for trying

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    I'm shocked so many people are voting Mao's dismal GP performances as being surprises. Every press conference from her and her coach was that her jump technique was being overhauled and that she wasn't expected to dominate or even be ready for the GP season. Then, we saw firsthand evidence of that at the Japan Open where she fell to a 5th place finish out of 6 skaters.

Zhang's reworked flip has to be the biggest surprise of the season so far! I never thought the horrendous mule kick and the scary corkscrewed torso would go down without a serious fight, but her progress on this jump has been pretty impressive thus far.

vCash
    I´m very surprised about the state of Asada´s skating. Especially as there were changes in scoring system that were seen as benefitting specifically her... If the situation would not be so sad, I´d see it as really funny.

I´d suppose that best for her would be to leave the triple axel out for a while and concentrate very hard on her other jumps. To take the Verner route, so to speak.

vCash
    Zhang's flip. Never expected that!

Mao, no surprise there. Reworking technique. Last year she placed about the same in her GP efforts: just about everyone on these boards wrote her off and said she should give up on the triple axel. Lots of people thought (at the time) that she had no shot at an Olympic medal.

vCash
    Mao, definitely. I wasn't expecting she would have been unable to rotate and land almost any jump !
    Caroline Zhang is the second one ! Still not a fan of her skating, but I couldn't believe she would be able to fix her flip technique ! Everything is possible !

moving right along
    vCash
    Is the season over?

Not ready to vote yet. I'm hoping for MORE surprises.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    What was the most surprising thing this season?
    Mao, for sure.

I'm just sad that the season is over. It seems like it just started six weeks ago...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Men

So far, the biggest pleasant surprise has to be Kozuka finally getting his deserved range of PCS. It's almost like the judges are slating him (OK, and Chan) as the ones to beat in this Olympic quad.

Rippon and even Abbott probably need a whole consistent season before the judges give them the Kozuka treatment.

Ladies

Czisny's fresh skating style for her long program.

Zhang's flip improvement came about 4 seasons too late. And one improvement does not compensate for about 100 regressions.

Asada's struggles are also hardly surprising - but it's going to be good in the long run. I just wish she wouldn't waste her wonderful programs on this inconsistent season. Would have been great if she swapped this season's programs with last season's.

I expect judges to start giving Ando the cold shoulder starting next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
    For me it was a split between Yuna and Orser.
    Mine too.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    I'm gonna say Alissa winning Skate Canada. I really thought she was washed up now, but I'm happy she's coming back. Carolina's wins were sort of surprising but she WAS a top world contender like three years ago. Patrick Chan's overscoring was not surprising since it was going on before. I don't know why Mao's troubles didn't really shock me but I think I heard some stuff about it on this board before even seeing her so I was prepared for it? Idk. I was expecting Caroline Z. to try and fix her flip, and I didn't think Plush was gonna be here anyway, so neither of those were surprising. Neither was Miki winning twice, not really anyway since she has been a top contender.

vCash
    Definitely Mao. She's doing this on purpose?

vCash
    For me, the most suprising was the performances we saw in pairs by Moore-Towers/Moskovitch, Gerboldt/Enbert, Bazarova/Larionov, Iliushechkina/Maisuradze, Sui/Han and Takahashi/Tran. I honestly did not expect such solid performances from such young, new and unexperienced teams. I was pleasantly surprised and I must say I enjoyed having new faces on the podiums.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Definitely Mao. She's doing this on purpose?
    100% her choice and her fault. She's not injured or anything.

Thank to the full set of "Mao rules", she and her camp have gotten too optimistic and ambitious. Kim was so afraid of "invincible Mao" and withdrew from GPS. There's no rival anymore. Actually, the number "228.5" is the real rival. To beat it, Mao needs to be "perfect" in everything. "Fixing jumps" or "bringing back the lutz" shouldn't be much difficult, compared to three 3axels. I must say they have overestimated Mao's capabilities.

vCash
    Can't wait to see "Invincible Mao"
    Last edited by Lookingood; 11-30-2010 at 03:58 PM.

vCash
    Alyssa got my vote. I was totally not expecting her to win at Skate Canada...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast