View Poll Results: Who is the female Patrick Chan?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kiira Korpi

18 10.34%
  • Carolina Kostner

97 55.75%
  • Alissa Czisney

30 17.24%
  • Other

29 16.67%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I felt the same about that FS as you did. I don't think it's your brain.
    I agree too. Its a pretty close fight for bronze between Joannie and Marai. I would have give it to Marai. If Marai has more successfully GPF series, she would have more brownie points from the judges. Her SP was totally underscore and deserved to be at least 68-70 range. Also there is the questionable tech call on one of her spin (i think its the layback spin) where she got level 4 and huge +GOE on SP, but was only marked Level 1 in the FS.
    I think the Olympics podium was pretty much already picked out, just like in 2006.

vCash
    No ladies ever land on podium with 3 splats (4 if you include SP) too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Chan = Kim - OGM, definitely
    Really think so? I prepared this for you. Guess who's protocols below were?

Program......... TES....... PCS.... Ded
    Event 1 SP..... 20.00.... 28.95.... -1
    Event 1 FS..... 32.23.... 56.22.... -3
    Event 2 SP..... 24.66.... 27.44.... -2
    Event 2 FS..... 41.70.... 56.22...... 0
    Total............. 118.59.. 168.83.... -6
    PCS%TES....... 142.36%
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Belows were Miki ANDO's protocols who won both CoC and CoR.
    10 CoC SP...... 27.99.... 28.12... 0
    10 CoC FS...... 60.50.... 55.60... 0
    10 CoR SP...... 27.03.... 26.97... 0
    10 CoR FS...... 62.65.... 57.82... 0
    Total............. 178.17... 168.51.. 0
    PCS%TES....... 94.58%

Actually I didn't pay attention on this issue but if falls and deductions REALLY matter, the skater also matters. NMURA, if you need some more statistics then ask me, I'll post it for you.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen View Post
    I agree too. Its a pretty close fight for bronze between Joannie and Marai. I would have give it to Marai. If Marai has more successfully GPF series, she would have more brownie points from the judges. Her SP was totally underscore and deserved to be at least 68-70 range. Also there is the questionable tech call on one of her spin (i think its the layback spin) where she got level 4 and huge +GOE on SP, but was only marked Level 1 in the FS.
    I think the Olympics podium was pretty much already picked out, just like in 2006.
    It's too bad Mirai wasn't there as even the US's champion. That might have worked in her favour if she'd won US Nats instead of Rachael.

vCash
    Oh my. Y'all are terrible at this.

This one's easy-peasy.

YUKA SATO

*struggles with the toughest jumps and never mastered them although she did excute them sometimes in competition
    *known as a skater's skater
    *extremely clean edges
    *strong lower body
    *effortless speed and flow
    *never skated clean
    *always marked higher than her peers who had comparable technical content
    *could express the music but was never known to be fully/emotionally invested such that she was known as a sensational artist
    *decent spins but never the best in the business
    *fast, intricate footwork

And if that isn't enough with a different haircut they'd look alike

Thank you. Thank you very much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post

This one's easy-peasy.

YUKA SATO

*struggles with the toughest jumps and never mastered them although she did excute them sometimes in competition
    *extremely clean edges
    *strong lower body
    *never skated clean
    *could express the music but was never known to be fully/emotionally invested such that she was known as a sensational artist

Actually Yuka had great spins. Her camel was one of the best. She was one of the best spinners back then.

vCash

This one's easy-peasy.

YUKA SATO

*extremely clean edges
    *strong lower body
    *never skated clean

The big difference is that Yuka hardly ever won anything. Her gold at 1994 Worlds was actually her first and only time on the world podium....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RunnersHigh View Post
    Really think so? I prepared this for you. Guess who's protocols below were?

Event 1 SP..... 20.00.... 28.95.... -1
    Event 1 FS..... 32.23.... 56.22.... -3
    Event 2 SP..... 24.66.... 27.44.... -2
    Event 2 FS..... 41.70.... 56.22...... 0
    Total............. 118.59.. 168.83.... -6
    PCS%TES....... 142.36%
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Belows were Miki ANDO's protocols who won both CoC and CoR.
    10 CoC SP...... 27.99.... 28.12... 0
    10 CoC FS...... 60.50.... 55.60... 0
    10 CoR SP...... 27.03.... 26.97... 0
    10 CoR FS...... 62.65.... 57.82... 0
    Total............. 178.17... 168.51.. 0
    PCS%TES....... 94.58%

Actually I didn't pay attention on this issue but if falls and deductions REALLY matter, the skater also matters. NMURA, if you need some more statistics then ask me, I'll post it for you.
    Umm ... well I had to go looking at who skated this season - yes, I'm assuming it was this season and since the numbers matched up, my answer to the question of who is the first skater -- Asada. Her first comp was NHK where she placed 8th in the short, the free and where she finished. Her second was in France where she was 7th in the short, 5th in the free and finished in 5th overall.

So are you saying - using these examples - that reputation gets you decent to good PCS inspite of how poorly your TES may be in a competion?
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    To be honest, I don't think there is a female equivalent of Patrick Chan. This thread has certainly been interesting, however, because I'm reading answers I never imagined would be put forward!

I personally voted for Carolina Kostner because of her dubious 2nd place finish at 2008 Worlds. If not her, then maybe Laura Lepisto.

Michelle...Irina...Yu-Na...Yuka...Joannie...Mao...noooooooooooo.

vCash
    The question in the original post was "Meaning who can have major falls/errors and still win?"

Any other connotations of what being "the woman version of Patrick Chan" might mean would be added in the mind of the poster, beyond the original question.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    Michelle Kwan is one of the most consistent skaters in the history of sport, in my opinion.
    I completely agree with you. I don't know any other ladies skater who skated as many clean programs (especially FS) as she did

Female version of Chan? Hmmm... difficult question. First time I thought about Yuna and her programs at worlds (FS with 2 serious mistakes ahead of Mao's nearly clean program), but I don't know if it's good comparison... Chan has always been a weak jumper meanwhile Yuna...

So my answer is: Carolina Kostner.

And Lepisto...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extranjera View Post
    I completely agree with you. I don't know any other ladies skater who skated as many clean programs (especially FS) as she did

Female version of Chan? Hmmm... difficult question. First time I thought about Yuna and her programs at worlds (FS with 2 serious mistakes ahead of Mao's nearly clean program), but I don't know if it's good comparison... Chan has always been a weak jumper meanwhile Yuna...

So my answer is: Carolina Kostner.

And Lepisto...
    There is no female verison period. LOL While Carolina and Lepisto bomb badly, I don't think they ever fall 4 times in the one competition and 8 times over two GP series. In fact, I can't think of any skater, male or female.
    Also regarding their, PCS its a little generous, but no where near over the top like PChan. Ladies equavilent of 86+ PCS would be over 63-64+ PCS and i don't think neither of them ever crack that. Laura only got high PCS during her Olympic FS, which was rightly deserved and on world championship, maybe a little generous. I can't remember the last time Koster get 63+ PCS mark with 3 falls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen View Post
    There is no female verison period. LOL While Carolina and Lepisto bomb badly, I don't think they ever fall 4 times in the one competition and 8 times over two GP series. In fact, I can't think of any skater, male or female.
    Well, Carolina and Laura often pop their jumps, but don't fall 4 times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Well, Carolina and Laura often pop their jumps, but don't fall 4 times.
    Sort of.
    Carolina has had some amazing splats in her day! I wouldn't be surprised if there's a video collage somewhere. If not, it's about time!

vCash
    If we're talking overrated enough to land on the podium with CRAPTASTIC skates: Laura Lepisto, Irina Slutskaya (usually sloppy), and, sorry everyone, Yu-Na Kim.

When Yu-Nam's jumps are off, I really can't get past the horrible positions, lack of toe point, musceled ugly spins, lack of 3 loop (just to play it safe and rest on her laurels), and fake "emotions" on the ice... constant open mouth doesn't equal expression to me. At the end of her Olympic LP, there was such a lack of excitement with her (and everyone else, IMO) that I couldn't believe that she would end up winning. I mean, I don't HATE her, but she is far from the best ever.

vCash
    Kostner in her heyday, but if she stays on her feet, she will probably be propped up by the judges again. The similarities between her and Chan is that they are both known to have great skilling skills and artistiry. The latter I never really got. I just don't see the artistry in Chan's skating. Sometimes, I feel he tries too hard to impress the judges and he does not really reach out to the audience.

vCash
    lepisto, but she her SS are not comparable

vCash

This one's easy-peasy.

YUKA SATO

*extremely clean edges
    *strong lower body
    *never skated clean

Except Yuka was never a judges pet or a held up skater. Her LP at the 94 Olympics was underscored. She should have been top 3 in that phase and maybe 1st. It was way better than Baiul and competitive with Kerrigan and Chen. Yet she was placed 5th in that phase.

She definitely deserved her World title IMO and I never felt it was even that close that night either.

Yuka could only hope to do well skating nearly perfectly. She never could do anything with falls, let alone many of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Kostner in her heyday, but if she stays on her feet, she will probably be propped up by the judges again. The similarities between her and Chan is that they are both known to have great skilling skills and artistiry. The latter I never really got. I just don't see the artistry in Chan's skating. Sometimes, I feel he tries too hard to impress the judges and he does not really reach out to the audience.
    I agree. Chan is not even an amazing artistic skater. His expression, musicality, and performance abilities, are far below a Takahashi or Lambiel. Johnny Weir also correctly pointed out his fish hands when skating which are somewhat annoying. He doesnt have the most beautiful positions or most elegance of any skater either, they are good, but I have seen better. The only thing he stands far out in are skating skills and difficult transitions (though a few others have transitions possibly as hard). And that is the craziest thing. A guy without even truly great artistry, with good but not the best spins, without big or great jumps when he lands them, can somehow afford a whole bunch of falls and still be winning everything. And some wonder why most of us dont readily accept that is fair and not corrupt somehow. Skaters who Chan isnt yet even worthy to carry the skate gaurds of could never win in the past with so many falls.

vCash
    Irina Slutskaya especially Grand Prix 2005 & 2006

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast