vCash

clokcwise jumpers and spinners / artistry

When I think of the skaters I know of who jump and spin clockwise -or "backwards" it seems that they more often than not have above average artistry.

Has anyone else noticed this?

vCash
    Yes, I've noticed that, too--a lot of the "artistic" skaters are CW: Weir, Czisny, Shawn Sawyer. But there are plenty of "artistic" skaters who are CCW: Buttle, Abbott, Matt Savoie.

vCash
    Good point.

We can add the follwoing to that list:

Toller Cranston and Emanuel Sandhu

vCash
    Well, considering that there are far more CCW skaters than CW on the elite level, maybe a higher percentage of CW skaters have above average artistry?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    Well, considering that there are far more CCW skaters than CW on the elite level, maybe a higher percentage of CW skaters have above average artistry?
    Yes! That is what I meant. Thank you!
    Oh and I meant to spell clockwise correctly in the title too. Oops.

vCash
    Don't CW jumpers also tend to be left-handed? There is some correlation between left-handedness and creativity, mathematical and musical ability, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eusebius View Post
    Don't CW jumpers also tend to be left-handed?
    It seems that the correlation is quite week. I am CW and right-handed.

vCash
    I don't think most CW jumpers are left-handed. But I do think there is a correlation between being left-handed and being more creative/artistic. I believe that left-handed people also have shorter life spans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TwizzlerS View Post
    I don't think most CW jumpers are left-handed. But I do think there is a correlation between being left-handed and being more creative/artistic. I believe that left-handed people also have shorter life spans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TwizzlerS View Post
    I believe that left-handed people also have shorter life spans.
    My great uncle lived to be 95 and he was left-handed. Despair not, fellow southpaws!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I think that clockwise jumps and spins give a skater an unusual look on the ice, which can make them more noticed, although I don't know about being more artistic.

vCash
    Hughes and Kostner are both gawky skaters to me (although I do enjoy their musicality).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    I think that clockwise jumps and spins give a skater an unusual look on the ice, which can make them more noticed, although I don't know about being more artistic.
    I'm a CW skater but I can't get the hang of CW jumps because they always look backwards to me. :/ No clue what the disconnect is there.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    What about me? I jump CW but spin CCW. I'm a troubled soul!! lol
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    When I think of the skaters I know of who jump and spin clockwise -or "backwards" it seems that they more often than not have above average artistry.

Has anyone else noticed this?
    You obviously don't know me. I "spin" clockwise and "jump" counterclockwise and my artistry is in the negative numbers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I'm a CW skater but I can't get the hang of CW jumps because they always look backwards to me. :/ No clue what the disconnect is there.
    I'm a CW spinner, and thus jump CW too (skate director said she didn't care which side, but told me I had to pick one). I blame this on why I can't do a loop- I am NOT left side dominant, and I just don't have the muscle to get into the air.

Really? Except in pairs where they have to mirror, I have never noticed a difference at all. It's just easier for me to call jumps CW, I get confused the other way.

Personally, I haven't noticed a high correlation to artistry, though there certainly are a few key examples that may make it seem that way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA View Post
    You obviously don't know me. I "spin" clockwise and "jump" counterclockwise and my artistry is in the negative numbers.
    LOL, I do the same. Weird to rotate differently in spins and jumps...But I won't say anything about my artistry.

Anyway, I don't think there is any link between hand and artistry ! Ashley Wagner skates CW, as well as Tanja Sczeczwenko (sp ?) !

vCash
    Susanna Pöykiö skated CW, too.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Despair not, fellow southpaws!
    Did someone call my name?

I used to spin CW and jump CCW. I never had an issue with it. Then one day a coach told me I needed to pick a side. I said pfft, I don't care if I'm a little cockeyed. She said no, you don't understand. Jumping is just spinning in the air and you're going to hit a wall one day and you're just going to have to pick a side at that point and then learn it all. over. again. She spoke from experience so I started jumping CW and wouldn't ya know? I had an easier time with it so now I spin and jump CW.

It's funny when I watch CCW skaters and "feel" what they're doing because my body thinks they're going the wrong way.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket