3 3.06%

2 2.04%

65 66.33%
  • She never had a chance really

24 24.49%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I voted none. She was a consistent podium threat from 2002 - 2006 but there was always someone big blocking her path to the top.

In '03, a rejuvenated and no longer coachless multi-medalist Kwan, plus a much-hyped Cohen w/ TT, were going to be competing on home ice and I think the prognosticators at the time were focused on them. Plus, with Slute out and Bute retired, the Russian Fed was going to really be behind Sokolova and her 3-3. It eclipsed Fumie and I don't think she had a chance.

In '04, Shizuka, who was already improving in '03 was now w/ TT. Kwan was defending World Champ and as always, Cohen was much-hyped and her Swan Lake beat Kwan for the first time at a cheesefest in the Fall of '03. The judges would have given it to Cohen with good skates IMO. Again, Fumie was possibly a medal threat based on the last 2 years but not for the top. She didn't have an 'it' factor to move past Kwan or Cohen. I think Shiz was steadily climbing and would've been hard for Fumie to deal with by herself.

In '05, Kwan and Cohen were not in the best shape leading to worlds but Slute was back with a vengeance and would compete on home ice in Moscow for Worlds. Shiz was now defending world champ and had the JSF recognition as #1 JPN lady along with whiz kid Miki Ando. At this point, Fumie wasn't really on anyone's radar, although IIRC she had the best JPN lady finish at '05 Worlds.
    I find Fumie similar to Butyrskaya in that she always seemed like a podium threat but hardly ever a gold threat. The only difference is Maria was seen as a gold threat from 99-2001, but only since she lucked out to win a Worlds with her own erratic skating peaking in a weaker transition year with other than Kwan (who fell anyway) no real competition. And that reptuation carried her to being a bigger threat for awhile, until it began to fade away late in the 2000-2001 season.

vCash
    I remember in 2006 thinking that the gold medal was basically going to be handed to Sasha unless she had a melt down and in that scenario, Fumie would end up with the gold. That was the only time I think I ever considered Fumie a gold medal contender at worlds. never in a million years thought Kimmie would win.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Fumie would have won Worlds in 2006 if underrotations had been part of the scoring system at that time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Fumie would have won Worlds in 2006 if underrotations had been part of the scoring system at that time.
    I agree.

vCash
    I voted 2006, but also 2004 I thought she had a chance

vCash
    I agree on 2006 as well. I like Meissner alot but she was lucky that the UR calls were so leanient at the time.

It is too bad Fumie didnt get the bronze at the 2006 Olympics and gold at the 2006 Worlds. She could have retired in peace rather than going through this tortoreous experience the last 5 years for what exactly I am not sure. Had she not doubled her triple flip she might have gotten the bronze at the 06 Olympics over a very subpar Slutskaya.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I voted none. She was a consistent podium threat from 2002 - 2006 but there was always someone big blocking her path to the top.

In '03, a rejuvenated and no longer coachless multi-medalist Kwan, plus a much-hyped Cohen w/ TT, were going to be competing on home ice and I think the prognosticators at the time were focused on them. Plus, with Slute out and Bute retired, the Russian Fed was going to really be behind Sokolova and her 3-3. It eclipsed Fumie and I don't think she had a chance.

In '04, Shizuka, who was already improving in '03 was now w/ TT. Kwan was defending World Champ and as always, Cohen was much-hyped and her Swan Lake beat Kwan for the first time at a cheesefest in the Fall of '03. The judges would have given it to Cohen with good skates IMO. Again, Fumie was possibly a medal threat based on the last 2 years but not for the top. She didn't have an 'it' factor to move past Kwan or Cohen. I think Shiz was steadily climbing and would've been hard for Fumie to deal with by herself.

In '05, Kwan and Cohen were not in the best shape leading to worlds but Slute was back with a vengeance and would compete on home ice in Moscow for Worlds. Shiz was now defending world champ and had the JSF recognition as #1 JPN lady along with whiz kid Miki Ando. At this point, Fumie wasn't really on anyone's radar, although IIRC she had the best JPN lady finish at '05 Worlds.
    Just also interesting you didnt even mention 2006 which is the year almost everyone voted for. What are your thoughts on that year?

It must have been frusterating for Fumie to never develop into World or Olympic Champion material after reaching podium level much earlier than Shizuka, yet seeing Shizuka who was behind her all those years blow past her and become World and Olympic Champion. It is pretty obvious comparing the two Shizuka is the more naturally talented though, despite that Fumie was above her most of their careers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Just also interesting you didnt even mention 2006 which is the year almost everyone voted for. What are your thoughts on that year?

It must have been frusterating for Fumie to never develop into World or Olympic Champion material after reaching podium level much earlier than Shizuka, yet seeing Shizuka who was behind her all those years blow past her and become World and Olympic Champion. It is pretty obvious comparing the two Shizuka is the more naturally talented though, despite that Fumie was above her most of their careers.
    You know, you are right. I don't know how I totally neglected '06

Actually, this would have been the year for Fumie to grab gold. Pre-competition, the only one standing in her way was Cohen and she bombed the LP. There was really no one else - Slute and Arakawa retired. I think Ando was out [wasn't there a deal with the JSF that year that Ando despite a low finish at JPN Nats would go to Torino but another skater would go to worlds??]

And yes, maybe with a win here she would've retired satisfied with her record, and not become the hot mess we see before us today

vCash
    I got the impression Fumie's motivation to continue at first was the elusive World title and maybe even the elusive Olympic medal (though winning that age age 29 was always going to be a huge long shot) she just missed in 2006. Once it became increasingly clear both goals were out of reach it is strange she has continued on. Or maybe she has another motivation nobody really knows. Unless somehow it isnt clear to her yet these stated goals are completely out of any reach which would be sad if that is the case.

vCash
    I got the impression Fumie's motivation to continue at first was the elusive World title and maybe even the elusive Olympic medal (though winning that age age 29 was always going to be a huge long shot) she just missed in 2006. Once it became increasingly clear both goals were out of reach it is strange she has continued on. Or maybe she has another motivation nobody really knows. Unless somehow it isnt clear to her yet these stated goals are completely out of any reach which would be sad if that is the case.
    Well, she said in an interview that professional skating is next to nonexistent in Japan. I do think she has a point; skaters who enjoy competing should be able to do so on a professional circuit.

vCash
    Unless somehow it isnt clear to her yet these stated goals are completely out of any reach which would be sad if that is the case.
    I think the same reason can be apply to skaters like KVP and Jenna McKordall aso, for example. Why in the heck are they still competing? It's an awful lot of money to spend annually to just compete for the love of competing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12