Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    NM: It is unspeakable, when Patrick Chan wins after falling three times, as it was in Grand Prix in Canada.
    So it's not just fans who think this.

EV: Among all the programmes your choreographed there are some that are remembered more.
    NM: I know. This season it's Floran Amodio's LP, which, in my point of view, is ten times more memorable than Takahashi's `Hip Hop'. I think it's the best thing ever in the male figure skating as far as the choreography goes.
    The man is clearly deluded.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    You gotta give it to him. This interview is quiet entertaining..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dupa View Post
    Sounded that way to me. Good to know there are no good looking Japanese men.
    Guess he's never heard of the gymnast Hiroyuki Tomita. That man is

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I think Daisuke is quite cute.

ETA:
    Question for Japanese speakers: in English, Daisuke's last name is of course TakahaSHI, last syllable pronounced (SHEE). In Russian it is transliterated as TakahaSI with the last syllable pronounced SEE. What is closer to the actual Japanese prononciation?

I also wondered why Yuko Kawaguchi had to change her last name to Kavaguti when she came to Russia (and accepted Russian citizenship). I don't really see is russification of the name. While there is no "w" sound and all w's become v's in Russian (Vot is your name?), there is a ch sound as in "cheers".
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 11-26-2010 at 06:32 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post

The man is clearly deluded.
    So if he's deluded, does that mean the fans are too?

Quadless
    vCash
    Deluded about his own talents, but he's clearly spot on in his opinion of Chan's marks.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Deluded about his own talents, but he's clearly spot on in his opinion of Chan's marks.
    Morozov may be a slimy douchebag but he did create quite a few masterpieces as referenced in the article.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I think Daisuke is quite cute.

ETA:
    Question for Japanese speakers: in English, Daisuke's last name is of course TakahaSHI, last syllable pronounced (SHEE). In Russian it is transliterated as TakahaSI with the last syllable pronounced SEE. What is closer to the actual Japanese prononciation?

I also wondered why Yuko Kawaguchi had to change her last name to Kavaguti when she came to Russia (and accepted Russian citizenship). I don't really see is russification of the name. While there is no "w" sound and all w's become v's in Russian (Vot is your name?), there is a ch sound as in "cheers".
    Russian transcription of Japanese names is phonological rather than phonetic. It's a tradition that started, IIRC, in the 1920s (the so-called Ivanov&Polivanov's system) Phonologically, it's /t/ and /s/ there, which surface phonetically as alveolo-palatal [tɕ] and [ɕ] before /i/. I'd say that the English transcription is closer to the actual pronunciation but the Japanese sounds are still quite different.

Quadless
    vCash
    Morozov may be a slimy douchebag but he did create quite a few masterpieces as referenced in the article.
    I agree, but I don't think that either of Amodio's current programs fall into that category.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by equatorial View Post
    Russian transcription of Japanese names is phonological rather than phonetic. It's a tradition that started, IIRC, in the 1920s (the so-called Ivanov&Polivanov's system) Phonologically, it's /t/ and /s/ there, which surface phonetically as alveolo-palatal [tɕ] and [ɕ] before /i/. I'd say that the English transcription is closer to the actual pronunciation but the Japanese sounds are still quite different.
    Thanks! Tha Ivanov/Polivanov system made me think of the English Wade-Giles vs. pinyin systems.

from Speedy Death

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I agree, but I don't think that either of Amodio's current programs fall into that category.
    Haven't seen it but will look for it now. This thread reminded me of "Winter" so I watched it (again for the 1,000,000th time) and just that program alone carves out a place in skating history for the choreographer. And of course, the fact that Yags was the perfect storm of athleticism, power and artistry helped.

ETA: saw Florent's LP (the MJ one, right?). Well, the first part is the rehash of what has been already done with Takahashi. The second part was not choreographed by Morozov but by Michael Jackson. Morozov just transcribed it to the ice.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 11-26-2010 at 07:58 PM.

from Speedy Death

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    Thanks! Tha Ivanov/Polivanov system made me think of the English Wade-Giles vs. pinyin systems.
    The I/P system is not entirely consistent: the Russian counterpart to "Fujisawa" would be "Fudzisava" instead of "Hudzisava" as is expected were a system based entirely on phonology.

YEAH!
    vCash
    One can't only focus on jumps or foot work. And we've seen those opposites many times before. Take Takahashi: it happened he received 8.5 in components even though he fell 7 times during the skate.
    Um, what?

NM: It's the only place you get to see a skater who can land a wonderful triple Axel, yet has no idea how to jump a triple Toeloop. It's almost as knowing how to use a fork, yet not to have a clue what the spoons is for.
    Ok, that was kind of hilarious. {{{Mao}}}

vCash
    Well clearly Morozov knows nothing about skating....Its immature thinking that somehow three falls is a bad performance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by equatorial View Post
    The I/P system is not entirely consistent: the Russian counterpart to "Fujisawa" would be "Fudzisava" instead of "Hudzisava" as is expected were a system based entirely on phonology.

Japanese man's name: To-kanava To-ki-yama
    Japanese woman's name: Ato-mu-lee Ya-da-la
    Japanese child's name: Hochu-piseu Hochu-kaki

Oh, please do “Beijing” and “Peking” explanation too………

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    Guess he's never heard of the gymnast Hiroyuki Tomita. That man is
    He is not talking about “every Japanese man”. He is talking about current group of top Japanese male skaters, he has worked with or familiar with.

Just to give another option on translations of this issue……

Tanya’s translation (nothing is wrong with it).
    Another reason it's hard working with the Japanese male skaters is because they lack any special physical appearance. When the skater is really good looking it doesn't matter what he does - it will look good even if the programme is changed every day.

Russian text
    Работать с японскими мальчиками тяжело еще и потому, что они редко отличаются какими-то выдающимися внешними данными. Когда спортсмен красив, ему что ни поставь - все хорошо смотрится. Хоть каждый день программы меняй. .

Alternative translation
    Working with Japanese boys (today’s group of male single skaters, not Japanese men in general) is also difficult because they rarely stand out for their striking physical features/ beauty/handsomeness. When an athlete is beautiful/handsome, no matter what you create for him, even a brand-new programme every day, it will still over-all look harmonious.

Morozov is referring to a classic Russian proverb:
    Молодцу – все к лицу. Molodtzoo – vse k litzoo.

Meaning: On a Handsome everything is “handsome”.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    I don´t really see any difference between what Tahbka wrote and what you wrote. You both have him saying the same thing.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    I don´t really see any difference between what Tahbka wrote and what you wrote. You both have him saying the same thing.
    Here we go again. I know you don't mean anything by this, I was just reminded of something.

from Speedy Death

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    Just referring to a recently deceased thread where accuracy of several versions of translation was "debated". Look at your rep for more info.

from Speedy Death

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Oh well, not sure what thread that is but I'm not interested in debating. Just made a comment that they seem to be saying the same thing.

But if it's going to spark a debate I'll just put out now I'm not interested in playing

eta...Ok, see now what you were talking about

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast