• Cynthia Phaneuf

1 0.57%
  • Alisa Czisny

10 5.71%
  • Other

5 2.86%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Miki winning a 2nd World title would officialy paint this as a very weak era in womens skating, and would also dismiss any notion from Asada or Kim fans that neither can match Michelle Kwan's winnings due to harder competition. And winning it past her prime to boot, which in reality she is, would just be the icing on the cake. In fact Miki would be by far the least talented skater ever to win 2 World titles. Someone like Slutskaya would destroy Ando with both in their primes as overall technically and even presentation wise she is leagues better, and she is atleast as consistent, and even she won only 2 World titles.

vCash
    Mao just looks depressed before she skates but joyful in practice.. But still think Mao can get it together later. She does badly at TEB quite often only to come back strong later. We'll just have to see how Japanese nats go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Good God, No
    Miki winning a 2nd World title or Lepisto or Korpi winning a 1st would be equally bad in anycase. I am just guessing the judges might opt for the latter option if things get that desperate but who knows. Lepisto winning would actually be the preferable option by far if she could actually skate cleanly.

vCash
    If one of the current U.S. women wants a world title, they better go all out for it this year. With Rochette out, Mao in the dumps, Ando injured and inconsistent, Kim's status questionable, and Kostner and Lepisto both injured, it's now or never. I would love to see Mirai and/or Alissa on the top of the podium, as unlikely as that seems.

vCash
    I think the judges were ready to give Mirai the World title last year and she blew it. They seem lukewarm on her so far this season even if she skates well. She really should have taken her chance last year and her status would be at a much higher place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I think the judges were ready to give Mirai the World title last year and she blew it. They seem lukewarm on her so far this season even if she skates well. She really should have taken her chance last year and her status would be at a much higher place.
    That's exactly my thought, after watching her performance at TEB.

vCash
    I'm glad she didn't win it last season. I don't think she was ready for it. I don't think we can blame her for her nerves, either. It was the first time she had the lead after the SP in an ISU senior championship event (and only her second ISU senior championship event...ever).

vCash
    You never know how many chances you will have though. Look at Meissner, it doesnt matter if she was ready for it or not in 2006, that was the only year she ever was going to have a prayer of winning it turned out so thank goodness (for her) she did. There is no saying Mirai will ever get another chance that good. The field is weaker this year but the judges dont seem too high on her whereas she had their momentum last year after a great Olympics.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Miki winning a 2nd World title would officialy paint this as a very weak era in womens skating...
    Eys. Death in my soul.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    It was honestly hard to pick. The ladies field is so up in the air this season. But I think Miki Ando, the veteran with rather consistent technical skills, will be able to hold it together. Mao is skating poorly. Mirai seems to be bombing LPs. Carolina is still Ms. Inconsistency. Ashley's not really at that level yet and she may not qualify at US Nats. Akiko messed up either the SP or the LP at the Worlds and Olympics last year. I just can't see the judges letting Rachael win. Laura's injured and struggles with jumps. I doubt Joannie will be there. Cynthia's been having problems lately. Alissa, if she's there, is another headcase like Carolina.

vCash
    You never know how many chances you will have though. Look at Meissner, it doesnt matter if she was ready for it or not in 2006, that was the only year she ever was going to have a prayer of winning it turned out so thank goodness (for her) she did. There is no saying Mirai will ever get another chance that good. The field is weaker this year but the judges dont seem too high on her whereas she had their momentum last year after a great Olympics.
    It's still early and she's been getting fab SP scores for the content she's been delivering. The only senior ladies on the GP with higher SP scores than Mirai are Kostner and Korpi. Her PCS are steadily climbing. I don't think the judges have written her off yet.

vCash
    You know what would be really funny, though? Fumie winning!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    You know what would be really funny, though? Fumie winning!
    If she can even make it out of Nationals
    I swear, the Japanese team is so deep they deserve more than 3 spots.
    Last edited by burntBREAD; 11-26-2010 at 11:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    I swear, the Japanese teams are so deep they deserve more than 3 spots.
    I know, right?

vCash
    In fact Miki would be by far the least talented skater ever to win 2 World titles. Someone like Slutskaya would destroy Ando with both in their primes as overall technically and even presentation wise she is leagues better, and she is atleast as consistent, and even she won only 2 World titles.

Sure, the only female skater to have landed a quad would be the least talented World Champion ever. Miki only had the best 3+3l out there on the ladies field ever; nothing by Tara, Hughes, Slutskaya or even Mao have come close. Actually more of Irina's 3+3l combos have been downgraded than Miki's and Ira had the tendency to take off of more of a flat than a true outside edge on the lutz. Miki's jumps are a thing of beauty and frankly ever time people have written her off she has bounced back stronger than before. I have that you predicted Ando to be overtaken by Suzuki, Nagasu, etc. etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainerb View Post

Sure, the only female skater to have landed a quad would be the least talented World Champion ever.
    Yeah since a jump she last did in 2004 is a good barometer of her current abilities. And when was her last ratified triple lutz-triple toe combo either. If she was doing the big jumps like that still it would be one thing, but she isnt, and hasnt for a long time. She isnt currently doing anything that special even jumpwise, except in the context of this seasons ladies field where a well done solo triple lutz or triple flip somehow is now amazing in a time warp back to 1988, and it goes without saying nothing besides her jumps ever was anything special. As for the Slutskaya comparision considering both are great jumpers, and Slutskaya is far superior in spins (no contest), footwork (Ando is pretty good but Irina definitely better) spirals (since Ando's are so awful), overall skating and performance and command, and that Ando is even worse than Irina in posture, empty choreography, and hitting ugly positions, yeah she is far lesser skater than Slutskaya was. So if she were to equal the # of World title as Irina, it would only indicate that in fact the Kwan era had far tougher competition than the Kim/Asada era, as a skater like Ando wouldnt have even won 1 World title in the Kwan era most likely, let alone two. And your claim Slutskaya has been downgraded more than Ando is the biggest load of BS. As an Ando fan you should know more than anyone she is the downgrade queen, especialy when she even tries a 3-3 combo. Slutskaya in fact had very few downgrades during her time skating under COP. I would be happy to go over their competitions over the years and break down their COP downgrade ratio if you would like. And as for 3-3s I dont recall Slutskaya having even one of hers downgraded under COP albeit in a brief time skating under it.

I have that you predicted Ando to be overtaken by Suzuki, Nagasu, etc. etc.
    Wow you really are clueless. If you actually read my posts you would know I have never predicted big things for Suzuki and I was adamant even last season she would probably never make another World team for Japan. Go back in my old posts and show me where I ever predicted Suzuki to overtake Ando. If I underestimated anyone it would be Suzuki even more than Ando as she is doing far better than I predicted her to do in the off season.

Yes I downplayed Ando's chances but who would have predicted Kim wouldnt compete this season (so far), Asada would suddenly start skating worse than ever after seemingly returning to top form late last season, Lepisto would be out injured, and Nagasu wouldnt follow up on her last seasons breakthrough at all. You are delusional if you think it is Ando's own skating which has put her in her current position, and not everything else that is happened around her putting her there by default. It says something when people are saying that even Rochette could come back and cakewalk to the gold if she were in shape which is something you would normally never say. Or that people are even to the point of speculating on Korpi or Czisny or Christina Gao medalling at Worlds. Ando and her scores and skating havent been anything more than I predicted, just ok to fairly good and which would get buried if the other ladies were around and skating close to what they were in Vancouver. The judges dont even like her much anymore, her PCS are lower than people like Suzuki now, but the field is so weak and depleted by absences/meltdowns that 5 triples programs with ordinary non jump elements and bland presentation (and not very high PCS) are somehow enough to win events now. Which is why it would be a sad reflection on the womens field if Ando were to win Worlds again now as she isnt even capable of more then that that anymore. It isnt like 2007 where she actually won with an outstanding jumping display with 7 triples and a triple lutz-triple loop in both programs (although still needed Kim and Asada to both make huge errors).

Anyway hopefully Kim will be back at 70% in which case this thread should be moot. And if Ando in her current state is her toughest competition that is all Kim would have to be at in order to win.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 11-27-2010 at 01:07 AM.

vCash
    And when was her last ratified triple lutz-triple toe combo either.
    Never, I believe.

vCash
    Yeah since a jump she last did in 2004 is a good barometer of her current abilities. And when was her last ratified triple lutz-triple toe combo either. If she was doing the big jumps like that still it would be one thing, but she isnt, and hasnt for a long time. She isnt currently doing anything that special even jumpwise, except in the context of this seasons ladies field where a well done solo triple lutz or triple flip somehow is now amazing in a time warp back to 1988, and it goes without saying nothing besides her jumps ever was anything special. As for the Slutskaya comparision considering both are great jumpers, and Slutskaya is far superior in spins (no contest), footwork (Ando is pretty good but Irina definitely better) spirals (since Ando's are so awful), overall skating and performance and command, and that Ando is even worse than Irina in posture, empty choreography, and hitting ugly positions, yeah she is far lesser skater than Slutskaya was. So if she were to equal the # of World title as Irina, it would only indicate that in fact the Kwan era had far tougher competition than the Kim/Asada era, as a skater like Ando wouldnt have even won 1 World title in the Kwan era most likely, let alone two. And your claim Slutskaya has been downgraded more than Ando is the biggest load of BS. As an Ando fan you should know more than anyone she is the downgrade queen, especialy when she even tries a 3-3 combo. Slutskaya in fact had very few downgrades during her time skating under COP. I would be happy to go over their competitions over the years and break down their COP downgrade ratio if you would like. And as for 3-3s I dont recall Slutskaya having even one of hers downgraded under COP albeit in a brief time skating under it.

Wow you really are clueless. If you actually read my posts you would know I have never predicted big things for Suzuki and I was adamant even last season she would probably never make another World team for Japan. Go back in my old posts and show me where I ever predicted Suzuki to overtake Ando. If I underestimated anyone it would be Suzuki even more than Ando as she is doing far better than I predicted her to do in the off season.

Yes I downplayed Ando's chances but who would have predicted Kim wouldnt compete this season (so far), Asada would suddenly start skating worse than ever after seemingly returning to top form late last season, Lepisto would be out injured, and Nagasu wouldnt follow up on her last seasons breakthrough at all. You are delusional if you think it is Ando's own skating which has put her in her current position, and not everything else that is happened around her putting her there by default. It says something when people are saying that even Rochette could come back and cakewalk to the gold if she were in shape which is something you would normally never say. Or that people are even to the point of speculating on Korpi or Czisny or Christina Gao medalling at Worlds. Ando and her scores and skating havent been anything more than I predicted, just ok to fairly good and which would get buried if the other ladies were around and skating close to what they were in Vancouver. The judges dont even like her much anymore, her PCS are lower than people like Suzuki now, but the field is so weak and depleted by absences/meltdowns that 5 triples programs with ordinary non jump elements and bland presentation (and not very high PCS) are somehow enough to win events now. Which is why it would be a sad reflection on the womens field if Ando were to win Worlds again now as she isnt even capable of more then that that anymore. It isnt like 2007 where she actually won with an outstanding jumping display with 7 triples and a triple lutz-triple loop in both programs (although still needed Kim and Asada to both make huge errors).

Anyway hopefully Kim will be back at 70% in which case this thread should be moot. And if Ando in her current state is her toughest competition that is all Kim would have to be at in order to win.

You're just vapid because Ando on the podium at Worlds isn't that far of a shot when you have been anticipating her downfall since you joined FSU.

vCash
    And you anticipated atleast a silver medal and quite possibly a gold for Ando in Vancouver. Ooops.

Ando is still overrated in this thread even now. If any of the other decent women actually get their act together she isnt winning anything. Not with her current level of skating anyway.

If she were to be crowned a 2 time World Champion while past her prime people will automatically look at this period as a very weak era in womens skating (and rightfully so), ending any real discussion of Kim or Asada having "tougher" competition as some of their ardent fans have claimed, especialy compared to the Kwan era which was full of stars.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 11-27-2010 at 01:19 AM.

vCash
    Miki doesn't seem past her prime to me

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast