• Cynthia Phaneuf

1 0.57%
  • Alisa Czisny

10 5.71%
  • Other

5 2.86%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Who will be ladies world champion in 2011 if Yu na does not compete?

If Yu na Kim competes at worlds in 2011, I think she will most probably be the winner. However, if she does not compete, who do you think will win the world title in the ladies event?

vCash
    There are so many questions. Will Kim be at Worlds, will Rochette be there, will Asada even make the team. If none of those are there I am thinking the European judges will group together and give it to the Euro lady who skates best. Their first preference would be Lepisto but if not they will look for other options.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    There are so many questions. Will Kim be at Worlds, will Rochette be there, will Asada even make the team. If none of those are there I am thinking the European judges will group together and give it to the Euro lady who skates best. Their first preference would be Lepisto but if not they will look for other options.

The stated question was- who will win if Yu na does not compete? So that excludes her. I was not going to put Rochette on the list because she has not competed this season, but at the last minute I decided to add her name, still not knowing if she will be there.

I am almost certain that the Japanese fed will give Mao a chance to defend her world title.

I actually think this may be Carolina's year unless injuries make it impossible for her to do the 3Lutz and 3flip. In that case I like Mirai's chances.

vCash
    Mao,if she can fix her jumps successfully as she said in the recent interview.

vCash
    I really dont know who to pick. I know the question was if Yu Na doesnt compete but the hard thing is even if she doesnt there are similar questions to whether or not Rochette or Asada will. Rochette I dont think was reportedly planning to but I dont think she closed the door on the possability either. And if she sees Ando as the top skater so far this season and knows she easily beat Ando at the Japan Open and probably can anytime she skates well, and knows in her mind she hasnt won Worlds yet, well it wouldnt surprise me if she decided to return for Canadians and Worlds. Yeah I think you are probably right on Asada but who knows especialy if she skates poorly again at her next GP event and at Japanese Nationals.

Even if all 3 are out I am still unsure. Miki could win I guess but I would still be surprised if she did. I dont think she is a big judges favorite at this point and I think she is a last resort kind of option for them. I am not sure if Suzuki or Murukami have the consistency or scoring potential to win, even though Suzuki has progessed this season she cant even beat Ando yet. No way could I see the judges letting Flatt win no matter how well she skated well.

Mirai could win if she gets it all together and skates like she did at the Olympics but that is a big if. If none of the big guns are there Lepisto could also win if she could have a performance like she did at the Olympics but we havent even seen her yet this season. I dont know what to think of Carolina's chances, will she start doing the hard jumps again and be consistent with them which she never really has been. Last years Worlds she had one of her better competitions for awhile and still didnt medal. Could a real long shot like Korpi or Markova win if they skate well, as I said I have a feeling the judges might want a Euro lady to win this year if the big guns are out. It might end up such a weakish field if the big guns dont skate that Korpi could actually win if she did 2 clean programs with her full content but what are the odds of that given her history. And should we really go crazy and start considering Czisny or Leonova now.

I really would need to take some time to think this all out more. Maybe would rather wait another month to vote.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Joannie has signed on to do the entire US and Cdn SOI Tour so, no, she won't be at worlds.

vCash
    From the beginning of this season, I've seen several ice shows held in Japan, and Miki was excellent everytime I saw her. So far, I can't say she has performed well enough at GPS, but I believe she'll do a gread job at Worlds.

As for Mao, it might be a difficult season for her, for she is now trying to change her jumping style. But I hope her effort will be successful in the near future.

vCash
    Anyone from the poll can win. But I think Mao is still the favorite, also it depends whether Mirai can recover and Miki's injury is not serious.

vCash
    Miki again unless she is still being hampered by her training. My guess is she will have a new SP come GPF in an attempt to score higher in that segment.

vCash
    CZISNY CZISNY CZISNY!!

vCash
    Miki. Also, even if Kim did come back we do not know exactly what form she is in and if she skates like she did at Worlds last year than Miki could still have a chance. IMO though the judges seem to be holding Miki back in the SP, but then after everyone lands on their asses or pops in the air then they don't have much of a choice other than to reward her clean long programs.

vCash
    I thought I would be the only one to vote for Kostner...and No ! We are 3 !
    In fact, I have no clue. Ladies are too inconsitent these days, really difficult to predict.
    If consistent, Mirai Nagasu and Mao Asada are the best for me !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainerb View Post
    Miki. Also, even if Kim did come back we do not know exactly what form she is in and if she skates like she did at Worlds last year than Miki could still have a chance. IMO though the judges seem to be holding Miki back in the SP, but then after everyone lands on their asses or pops in the air then they don't have much of a choice other than to reward her clean long programs.
    Which is why I think she changes her SP before worlds. She said after she won COR that she was definitely going to work on her SP between now and the GPF and might get a new program entirely. Miki's SPs from last season and the season before worked pretty well for her and she usually managed to get pretty good marks for them when she skated well.

vCash
    I picked Miki i think Miki have good chance winning other WC if Yuna or joannie not compete this year.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Alissa......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainerb View Post
    Miki skated first in the LP because of the reverse order and she got good score. Her LP is decent and so far none of the ladies program stood out on top. By world championship, i am sure all the score will goes up a little bit.

Remember in 2008, where all the top 3 score are just a little over 180+ mark. With one less element for ladies, the score will prob around there.

vCash
    I'm gonna be completely overly positive about Lepisto's potential and claim it's her. I guess I hope it more than believe but think: coming out of a hip AND achilles tendon injury and win a world title!!!!!!!! (Yes I know, very unlikely)

vCash
    I can't expect how much Kim can score under those well-argued "extremely unfavorable" new rules, and in the most unfriendly "away". I think Ando can be the favorite even if Kim is there. She has almost beaten subpar Kim with equally subpar performances at GPF in Tokyo. If Asada is absent, Ando's PCS will roughly tie with Kim.

No lady has won worlds without participating GPS.

Asada should be the favorite if she can sacrifice her ideals for winning. We can have better pictures by Japanese Nationals.

As I wrote on the PC thread, "clean performances" tend to be valued higher at prestigious competitions like WC. In this sense, Ando has some advantages over others. Skater like Lepisto or Rochette has no chance unless it becomes a major splatfest. And they are the first ones to create that.
    Last edited by NMURA; 11-25-2010 at 11:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    I wrote on the PC thread, "clean performances" tend to be valued higher at prestigious competitions like WC. In this sense, Ando has some advantages over others. Skater like Lepisto or Rochette has no chance unless it becomes a major splatfest. And they are the first ones to create that.
    ITA. Looking at the last past world championship medalists, not many ladies land on the podium with splat feast. I'm gonna exclude underrotation and double jumps or step out/touchdown here. Only two skaters, Kim and Cohen managed to hang on to bronze with one or more falls.

2010: 1 fall (Kim)
    2009: none
    2008: 1 fall (Asada)
    2007: 2 fall (Kim)
    2006: 2 fall?? (Cohen)
    2005: none
    2004: none
    2003: none
    2002: none
    2010 G

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen View Post
    ITA. Looking at the last past world championship medalists, not many ladies land on the podium with splat feast. I'm gonna exclude underrotation and double jumps or step out/touchdown here. Only two skaters, Kim and Cohen managed to hang on to bronze with one or more falls.
    This thread is about "who wins", isn't it?

Anyway, Asada is the first lady to win with a fall since Yamaguchi in 1992, IIRC. That was very close. When it's close, the judges consider the whole season's performances (and contributions to the ISU) to decide who wins.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast