Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

looking for Mr. Jim Tester (coach)

Hello skaters,

My name is Dale Campbell and I'm looking to reconnect with my first skating coach, Jim Tester. As my parents were divorced Jim taught me more than just skating he taught me about life and being a good person, basically he was a role model for me. I have been looking for him for some years now and came close a few times like finding the rink he coached at a year after he left. I believe Jim is retired from coaching now as he is no longer listed as a coach on USFSA's site. I knew Jim from Birmingham, AL and he trained me from about 1974-1982 before he moved to NY. I believe he has moved around a good bit over the years so that does not help me any.

edit: He may have also been known as James Tester but he went by Jim as I recall.

Thanks in advance,
    Dale

vCash
    I did a google, and found a cached page here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&client=safari
    I would save it as it may be offline soon. You may want to see if you can find the info of Barbara Williams as she says she "first taught under the directorship of James Tester, the then head of the Nassau County Skating School."
    I wonder if USFSA would give you his contact details?

He may now be in Lancaster, PA: http://lancasterbarnstormers.com/news.cfm?newsID=220

Here's a search that pulls up some articles: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

vCash
    Thanks,

You have tracked him down as far as I have at least, I called Lancaster (in 2009) and I had just missed him by about a year.

I appreciate the help though,
    Dale
    Last edited by Ice Ramps; 11-26-2010 at 06:53 PM.

vCash
    Hello Dale-
    It has been years since I've seen you. Tommy Shaw here. The last year Jim was in the PSA was in 2007. He was in PA. He is not listed in the 2008 directory or any after that. The last time I saw Jim, he was living in Brooklyn, NY. Perhaps he moved back there??? I would contact Linda Snow, but she died a few years ago.
    Go online and find the rink in Brooklyn, someone there may be able to give you more info. I doubt that Jim is still a member of USFS as he is not a current member of PSA.

Tell your mother I said hello!

Tommy Shaw

vCash
    Tommy Shaw, WoW! BTW I have become friends with Carrie Ferguson on Facebook. So what do you think of my "little" project? www.iceramps.com

Dale

vCash
    Thanks for the follow up e-mail Tommy, looks like the number and e-mail are both dead links. I have not tried snail mail address yet but odds are that is that is a dead end too. Even if he left a forwarding address that would have expired too by now. I'm guessing that he left Lancaster, PA in late 2007 or early 2008.

Jim was a great coach and was pretty much like a Father to me. I joined the Army at age 18 (I am near retirement now) so I moved around a lot myself and regret losing touch with him, but hind sight is always 20/20.

-Dale

vCash
    Try

http://www.spokeo.com/

I hope your friend is not deceased, but if he is his name and date of death should be on the Social Security directory.
    Last edited by Iceman; 11-28-2010 at 07:37 PM.

vCash
    Thanks Iceman, however those links help but at some point eventually ask for money for their services. I was hoping to avoid that process as it may or may not prove fruitful. What I was really looking for was either student(or their parent), or fellow coach that had stayed in touch with him to either pass along a message or perhaps provide contact information for Jim.

Thanks though,
    Dale

vCash
    FWIW, there is no "James O. Tester" in the Social Security Death Index. However, if he has passed away (let's hope not!) that does not mean he is not listed without a middle initial.

I have some more info. that I will PM you....
    Last edited by LongTimeLurker; 11-29-2010 at 02:39 AM.

vCash
    LTL,

I received your PM, thanks for the information. I will update this this thread and let you know if that is him or not.

Thank you,
    Dale

vCash
    I found this photo. Is this the fellow you're looking for?

vCash
    Very well could be, that's not the best picture since he is looking down but yes I think it is. Granted I have not seen Jim since around 1982 so........who knows. Thanks again for the help!
    Last edited by Ice Ramps; 11-29-2010 at 07:17 AM.

vCash
    I found the person in the photo with him "Karli" on Facebook perhaps she can help.

-Dale

vCash
    I appreciate what you are trying to do but if he doesn't have a Facebook or anything else public perhaps he simply doesn't want to be found by old students/people he knew! There are many many tools out there online to make yourself easily found if you want to be.

In the same way, I'd really hate to think a whole bunch of people on a message board were out there looking up all kinds of records to try to find me if I simply wanted to be left alone.

I understand the feelings of the OP but there comes a point where you have to respect a person's privacy. If he wanted to reconnect with old friends, then he'd join a social network (many coaches have one). If not, then I think you should give him the basic courtesy of letting him be. You've made this post on here now which is the first thing that comes up in Google if you search for the man's name so if he wants to contact you then he will.

I think the internet really goes too far sometimes, and while everyone means well, it's really too far.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    double post
    Last edited by alilou; 11-29-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    I appreciate what you are trying to do but if he doesn't have a Facebook or anything else public perhaps he simply doesn't want to be found by old students/people he knew! There are many many tools out there online to make yourself easily found if you want to be.

In the same way, I'd really hate to think a whole bunch of people on a message board were out there looking up all kinds of records to try to find me if I simply wanted to be left alone.

I understand the feelings of the OP but there comes a point where you have to respect a person's privacy. If he wanted to reconnect with old friends, then he'd join a social network (many coaches have one). If not, then I think you should give him the basic courtesy of letting him be. You've made this post on here now which is the first thing that comes up in Google if you search for the man's name so if he wants to contact you then he will.

I think the internet really goes too far sometimes, and while everyone means well, it's really too far.
    It seems here we're talking about a retired coach who is getting on in years. Just because people are not on facebook, or even the internet for that matter, does not mean they don't want to be found. For your information there are several generations of people out there who were not raised with the internet, let alone facebook or other internet based social networks, or even care about them! I didn't get my first computer until I was into my 50's. I only joined facebook to keep up with my wide spread family (and have no interest in it beyond that), and have no interest in twitter or the like. And it seems Mr Tester is a lot older than I am. Just because he's not visible on the internet doesn't mean he doesn't want to be found. It may just mean he's from a completely different generation who don't put the internet front and centre in their lives!
    Last edited by alilou; 11-29-2010 at 05:42 PM.

vCash

Wow really? I'm fairly speachless so I guess I'll keep this somewhat brief. Jim left both my Mom and I his new address and number, but I was just a kid when he moved and not ready to handle the complexities of long distant relationships (and the internet was not around then). Jim was not just some coach I once had, he and my mother ran the skating skating school together, and he was often a guest in our home, in fact she took over the skating school when he left. The reason he left in the first place was that our rink had to close for the Summer, and not everyone wants to lose thier job for three months. Also not everyone of his age/generation cares to setup a facebook or other social networking site. My Mother only recently did so recently since I am in the army and far from home, so its an easy way to stay in touch.

How about this, if you don't wish to assist me then simply don't reply. I am simply trying to reconnect with a guy that was like a father to me. If I manage to track him down then I'm sure he will let me know if he does not want to found as your suggesting. I just don't get it, why is it not ok to try and find a family friend?

With Regards,
    Dale Campbell
    Last edited by Ice Ramps; 11-29-2010 at 09:21 AM.

vCash
    The same can be said of your completely unnecessary and mean-spirited post except that considering your posting history, I doubt you mean well.

vCash
    If I were James, I would be thrilled that you wanted to find me. Senior citizens have frequently lost many friends and family to death and would be delighted to hear from others who have been a part of their lives.

vCash
    Keep the search up- It's always nice to reconnect with old mentors and many mentors find it nice to reconnect with old pupils, and if Mr. Tester wants to be left alone, let HIM tell you that himself. Nothing wrong with what you're doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast