Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post
    And they have been very up front about Kurt's flaws, of being materialistic and somewhat snobbish, of being over bearing toward Finn.
    Uh, yeah, we're just going to have to agree to disagree about that.

Efremenko ladies fanclub
    vCash
    I definitely agree that the story line is very weak lately on Glee.
    I don't get how the wedding became so Kurt-centric. It simply makes so sense. Regardless of the bullying issue...it just doens't make sense that the wedding and reception becomes so much about the son of the groom....

I also agree with the comment about Schuester being a teacher with definite boundary issues. Unless of course the intent of the writers was to make us totally dislike him following the Rocky Horror episode.

I really loved Glee during the first season. But the episodes this season have been much weaker. Hopefully the episode with Will kissing the Beast was rock bottom and the episodes will continue to improve... the last two have been better. I think the show is strongest when the focus is on preparing and competing at sectionals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post

Maybe if television had more scenes like this with gay characters, and showed young gay viewers, who make a large portion of the viewing audience of this show may I remind you, that there ARE people who care, that there ARE people who will accept them, that there are people who LIKE them, particularly in their families and outside the LGBT community, MAYBE THEY WOULDN'T BE KILLING THEMSELVES IN DROVES! In case you hadn't noticed there have been close to 20 suicides of youth 13-19 in past 6 months. And yes, I whole heartedly believe that scenes and episodes like this may help save a life or two, or at least for a little while, let a young gay boy that is tortured at school in much the same way Kurt is, believe that there might actually be hope for him and that maybe it won't be so bad some day. Let them pretend to be Kurt in that situation for a little while.

Why is Kurt being portrayed as a victim? BECAUSE HE IS ONE!
    Not t, in any way, imply that Karofsky isn't a bully and a horrible person, might we find out that he is being bullied in some way too? Not excusing what he's done, but I have a feeling there will be some sort of break through, where we find out he's not as bad as he's behaved.

Also, LordCirque, what you say above is true. We need understanding and too many kids are committing suicide because they see no relief from their anguish. For that reason, I sincerely hope that Karofsky does not off himself, as someone else suggested he might. I hope the producers understand that that would be a horrible message to send.

As to Kurt taking over the wedding. It is fantasy. The entire Glee Club and teachers are there. Don't Kurt's father and Finn's mother have friends and relatives to invite . It didn't bother me at all, it's part of the show, just like a stage where Gweneth Paltrow and company can dance on water in full costume. Fantasy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    The entire Glee Club and teachers are there. Don't Kurt's father and Finn's mother have friends and relatives to invite .

Well, that's what I thought too. And then came the wedding dance and I thought ahhhhh, I get it now. These people aren't stupid. They got Matthew Morrison to sing at their wedding reception for free!

vCash
    I'd like to see an episode that is all about the "Glee Club" again. I think the Kurt versus Rachel for the solo is one of my favourite moments from the show.
    When during the first season was it all about the "Glee Club"?

And I still don't know how this season is worse. Are Santana and Ms. Bieste faking pregnancies?

vCash
    I agree. I think some people are exaggerating the first half of season 1 because the writing was also uneven and Ryan Murphy was always trying to balance strict satire with emotionally-driven drama. I think the only reason why people forgave the shortcomings of the first half of season 1 was because it was fresh for them and they were willing to overlook whatever flaws it shared with every other episode of this show. It seems that ever since it came back from those months-long hiatus in the winter and spring, I felt people were just ready to pounce on this show.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Not t, in any way, imply that Karofsky isn't a bully and a horrible person, might we find out that he is being bullied in some way too? Not excusing what he's done, but I have a feeling there will be some sort of break through, where we find out he's not as bad as he's behaved.
    It occurred to me last night that Karofsky's breakthrough might have been the Glee group standing up to him. It did show him that gays can have friends who have your back even if they are not also gay. Part of his fear of being gay could be that he would lose his standing at school & his friends (you know, the other Neanderthals ). I doubt he has physical fears since he is so big but then physical harrassment doesn't hurt the most anyway.

I shouldn't have said that about Kurt leaving was cowardish but after Blaine made a point about running away & how he regrets it, it seems strange to me that Kurt ends up doing the same.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    It occurred to me last night that Karofsky's breakthrough might have been the Glee group standing up to him. It did show him that gays can have friends who have your back even if they are not also gay. Part of his fear of being gay could be that he would lose his standing at school & his friends (you know, the other Neanderthals ). I doubt he has physical fears since he is so big but then physical harrassment doesn't hurt the most anyway.

I shouldn't have said that about Kurt leaving was cowardish but after Blaine made a point about running away & how he regrets it, it seems strange to me that Kurt ends up doing the same.
    I think what broke the camel's back was Kurt having his life threatened. Also, he still didn't come clean about Karofsky's behavior towards him to his parents, Sue, or Mr. Schue and the Glee Club and I think he needs to feel brave enough to do that before he can feel comfortable attending McKinley High while Karofsky is there. Obviously, Kurt is seriously feeling threatened if he's willing to not only leave his friends but New Directions, a group he and the rest of the Glee club essentially built up from the beginning.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I think Kurt will be back. I don't know how or when, but I have the Christmas album for the episode the week after next and Kurt is featured in quite a few songs with New Directions, but also in a song with Blaine.

vCash
    Right. Anybody who thinks Kurt won't be back is really kidding themselves.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Not to, in any way, imply that Karofsky isn't a bully and a horrible person, might we find out that he is being bullied in some way too? Not excusing what he's done, but I have a feeling there will be some sort of break through, where we find out he's not as bad as he's behaved.
    My sense is that it isn't that complicated. He isn't being "bullied" in the standard definition, but he is suffering from the crippling social stigma against male homosexuality. It's homophobia, in the truest sense of the word -- fear of being gay. I'm not the first to say it, but fear really is the root of so many of society's ills. Again, that doesn't excuse his behaviour, but it does explain it.

As for the rest of the show ... while I agree that I could do without the heavy Kurt-centricness, I still enjoyed much of this episode. The musical wedding was fab. The vows & Finn's speech were unrealistic but still made me cry. Will's rendition of "Sway" (even if it was channeling Bublé) was great.

And although I would have liked more Carol Burnett, the woman is 77, I'm not sure she would have been able to handle the pace of an in-every-scene-and-song treatment like we got with Gweneth last week. And her duet with Sue was superb. Plus, did anyone else think there was a physical resemblance between Jeannie and her, looked like she could actually have been Carol's daughter?

And I agree. Kurt will be back. When and how ... well, watch this space I guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    My sense is that it isn't that complicated. He isn't being "bullied" in the standard definition, but he is suffering from the crippling social stigma against male homosexuality. It's homophobia, in the truest sense of the word -- fear of being gay. I'm not the first to say it, but fear really is the root of so many of society's ills. Again, that doesn't excuse his behaviour, but it does explain it.
    I agree. I actually know someone who got suspended from school for harassing someone that came out and five years later he sent me pictures from his wedding to another man in Massachusetts. I read a draft of a dissertation a graduate student is doing about homophobic behavior by gay men in the closet. Some of the stories in the dissertation were just absolutely hair raising. Fear is a great motivator.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    My guess is Kurt will perform with Dalton Academy for Sectionals, but will transfer back to McKinley a few episodes later when Karofsky comes to him asking for help/guidance and they become "friends."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    It occurred to me last night that Karofsky's breakthrough might have been the Glee group standing up to him.
    Wasn't that the plot of Theatricality (the Gaga episode)? Finn even came to a realization that he had to stand up for Kurt, and the whole club stood up against the bullies in the hallway in their costumes.

I find Finn's obsession with staying popular too literal. Maybe I didn't hang with the right crowd in high school, but we were never so meta with our lives.

vCash
    With the loss of Kurt, aren't they now at 11? Thereby, inelligible for Sectionals?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    With the loss of Kurt, aren't they now at 11? Thereby, inelligible for Sectionals?
    That's what I wondered.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post

Spoiler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post

Spoiler

In that last link, why don't Brittany and

Spoiler

get last names? And Tina is just Tina C? But yay if the extra is right!

I didn't mind the episode, even though it was quite heavy on the fromage. I was a bit annoyed that the shortest wedding in history was all about Furt, though I did like that Finn kind of overcame his uneasiness even more to dance with his new brother at the wedding.

As for Karovsky... I think he in a way 'needs' Kurt. I think he will go on a bit of a downward spiral without Kurt around and something will come from that. Kurt sort of 'gets' him in a way nobody else does, because he knows, and I think he needs that person, even though he doesn't accept it himself.

As for Finn, I can understand why he didn't want to get into it with Karovsky, even if it was for purely selfish reasons. Love how all the others stood up to him, especially Mike getting into his face verbally, and Ladylips von Bieberhausen getting into his face quite with his fist.

After reading the synopsis for next week, anyone else thinking that Santana is going to tell Rachel the truth, and maybe some issues will arise with the Tina/Mike/Artie/Brittany quadrangle? And squee for Dr. Uncle Jesse being back next week!!

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Brittany's last name is Pierce....in the Britney episode, she explained that the trauma of her life is being "Brittany S. Pierce...Brittany Spears"
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    In that last link, why don't Brittany and

Spoiler

get last names? And Tina is just Tina C? But yay if the extra is right!.....And squee for Dr. Uncle Jesse being back next week!!
    Tina is Tina Cohen-Chang. Principle Figgins says her full name in the Lady Gaga episode. Yes, I remembered that. And I am very happy to see John Stamos again too!

Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast