Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Three amazing episodes in a row!

It's going to be weird without Kurt in New Directions. They'll have him transfer back to McKinley before the season is over, no?
    I don't believe that he will ever really transfer. I hope not. It seems a little selfish to take the honeymoon money & very cowardish.

Quote Originally Posted by LordCinque
    And I get the promise ring. I know a gay couple that has had some issues in the past but have finally settled down and realized what they have together, and while they aren't ready to get married (nor can they but that's another issue entirely), but got rings as a symbol for each other to promise each other they will be faithful to each other and one day want to get married.
    The promise ring has exactly the same meaning for both gay & straight couples so I don't get the significance of pointing out that it's a gay couple. In fact you have a lot of posts in this thread that have nothing to do with Glee & would be more appropriate in PI. Do we really have to discuss every gay issue every week in the Glee thread?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I don't believe that he will ever really transfer. I hope not. It seems a little selfish to take the honeymoon money & very cowardish.
    I think it's more "terrified" than "cowardish".

Will Terri wind up pregnant from her fling with the Ill Will?
    Last edited by DarrellH; 11-24-2010 at 04:20 PM.

vCash
    I guess I'm alone in that I didn't really care for this episode. Yet another episode featuring nonstop drama. Have the writers completely forgotten that this show is supposed to be a comedy?

I generally loathe the term "Mary Sue", so it makes me sad to see that that's what Kurt has become.

I'm willing to suspend my desbelief pretty damn far when it comes to this show, but the Sue wedding subplot was so unrelentingly stupid that even I was rolling my eyes through the whole thing.

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyN View Post
    I guess I'm alone in that I didn't really care for this episode. Yet another episode featuring nonstop drama. Have the writers completely forgotten that this show is supposed to be a comedy?

I generally loathe the term "Mary Sue", so it makes me sad to see that that's what Kurt has become.

I'm willing to suspend my desbelief pretty damn far when it comes to this show, but the Sue wedding subplot was so unrelentingly stupid that even I was rolling my eyes through the whole thing.
    You're not alone. I miss the good old days when they were simply a struggling group of misfits trying to win a singing competition. I realize that can get old fast, but they've taken some overly cartoonish turns (Sue's wedding being one. And anything to do with Mr. Schue). Then they pair the cartoonish with an after-school special dramafest. It's so jarring and NOT blended together well at all. Either embrace the satire or go home. Murphy can't handle satire and serious topics well at all.

And that was a criminially negligent use of the great Carol Burnett. Especially coming on the heels of the heavy use of Paltrow the week before. If they're going to do stunt casting for guest stars (which I wish they wouldn't do so much), then give them something equally Glee-ful to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    There was a woman in my city who did have a marriage ceremony that she married herself. It was a celebration of who she was and what she had gone through (she had cancer). She said she finally realized that it was her that needed to confirm and celebrate that she was loved for who she was and didn't need another person to confirm that. I believe but am not certain that she did die of her cancer.

I thought that it was a wonderful story then and with Sue. They just didn't fill out the story enough. But what can you do in an hour show. I believe more of us need to commit to ourselves to honor, love and respect us for us.
    I remember reading an article recently about a woman in Taiwan who was planning a wedding to herself as well. Actually, I wondered if that was where Glee got the idea from.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post
    Yes that one, why is it in a spoiler tag? The episode aired!
    I didn't at first, but then I thought that maybe you wanted others to guess. A game

Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I thought that it was a wonderful story then and with Sue. They just didn't fill out the story enough. But what can you do in an hour show. I believe more of us need to commit to ourselves to honor, love and respect us for us.
    It actually could have been an interesting story line. Really driving home liking yourself for who you are. But, they kind of blew it and made it silly.

Blergh
    vCash
    I think the idea is that Sue doesn't really love herself despite her wedding to herself. I thought it was appropriate the way it was done, especially with nobody else showing up.

Plus, her wedding dress was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

Fantastic episode.

Quote Originally Posted by taf2002
    The promise ring has exactly the same meaning for both gay & straight couples so I don't get the significance of pointing out that it's a gay couple. In fact you have a lot of posts in this thread that have nothing to do with Glee & would be more appropriate in PI. Do we really have to discuss every gay issue every week in the Glee thread?
    I don't understand why you're taking such offense to Lord Cirque pointing out it's a gay couple. He knows a gay couple that used promise rings to signify their relationship. If the couple is gay, why can't Lord Cirque point that out? Also, Glee, especially in the Kurt-centric episodes, deals with a lot of gay issues that's prevalent right now, so it's not as if Lord Cirque bringing up problems that the LGBT community is facing is irrelevant to the show even if I don't always (or even most of the time) agree with Lord Cirque's conclusions or interpretations of the characters or situation.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I agree, they really had a chance to celebrate Sue and show that being in a relationship with another person isn't for everyone, some it is, some it isn't, and they had a great chance to showcase that and really blew it.

Kurt is ANYTHING but a Mary Sue. What he is facing and going through, especially with the bullying, is every bit as realistic as what many LGBT youth, myself included, faced in schools, and many face FAR worse.

To say he is a Mary Sue because of the bullying SL is down right insulting.

Blergh
    vCash
    But again, I'm not convinced Sue really is that self-confident about herself. I think the whole thing was supposed to be ridiculous because if Sue really accepted herself, she wouldn't continue the behavior that I bet she's going to continue throughout the season. She's obviously still smarting from the lack of parenting in her childhood despite her monologue to Carol Burnett.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I hadn't thought of it that way but you make a good point.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Sue's tracksuit wedding dress.

My fave line may have been Britney's "he just lies there."
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I don't know if this is the way the writers of Glee intended for Sue, or if I'm just way over-analyzing her character, but to me, Sue is the embodiement of the high school experience. She's mean, snarky, vulnerable, self-obsessed, overly concerned with how she's perceived while at the same time trying not to give a damn what anyone thinks, doing the wrong thing for the right reasons and the wrong thing for the right reasons...BUT...like most young adults coming into their own, every once in a while, there's a glimmer of selflessness, thoughtfulness, and self-knowledge that comes peeking through BECAUSE of the havoc they wreak with their actions.

The wedding scene read to me like a scared, vulnerable 15 year old who has finally realized that they will never get parental approval, no matter how hard they try, so he or she had better start lookingi to himself/herself to provide it.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    My fave line may have been Britney's "he just lies there."
    And I liked that Tina was all, "wait, you're dating Artie?" and looking upset about it. Ahh, continuity!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post
    To say he is a Mary Sue because of the bullying SL is down right insulting.
    What is a Mary Sue? I've never heard that.

vCash
    Jock gay is going to end up as Kurt's bf. I haven't any spoiler info, but that is my guess... either that or he offs himself.

vCash
    Mary Sue is a term for a perfect heroine (sometimes called a Mary Stu for a male) that is an idealized version of the writer. The biggest Mary Sue in pop culture currently is probably Bella Swan from Twilight. Even her name is a pretty obvious Mary Sue! Kurt has been accused of being a Mary Stu because it seems like he's an embodiment of how Ryan Murphy wishes he could have been in high school.

TVTropes has a good description of the Mary Sue.
    Last edited by Amy L; 11-24-2010 at 11:15 PM.

vCash
    Because EVERYONE wants to be threatened, bullied, and thrown into lockers on a daily basis

vCash
    Kids have no control over whether they get bullied or not, the accusation of Mary Stu-ness comes from the way Kurt handles his situation. I don't really agree with that, I think it's nice to have such a brave character who isn't flawless but tries to persevere. So I don't disagree with you LC, just defining the term!

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    Sex and the City gave a great nod to the "marry yourself" concept. Although no actual marraige occurred, single gal Carrie struck a blow for 30 something singles everywhere when she called a married friend that refused to reimburse her for a pair of stolen shoes taken from the married friend's house (as a result of a no shoes in the house police), and announced to the married friend that she was getting married and was registered at a shoe store. Classic!

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy L View Post
    The biggest Mary Sue in pop culture currently is probably Bella Swan from Twilight. Even her name is a pretty obvious Mary Sue! Kurt has been accused of being a Mary Stu because it seems like he's an embodiment of how Ryan Murphy wishes he could have been in high school.
    I think Ginny Weasely fits the bill much better than Bella. From Wikipedia:
    Perhaps the single underlying feature of all characters described as "Mary Sues" is that they are too ostentatious for the audience's taste, or that the author seems to favor the character too highly. The author may seem to push how exceptional and wonderful the "Mary Sue" character is on his or her audience, sometimes leading the audience to dislike or even resent the character fairly quickly; such a character could be described as an "author's pet".
    I don't think the fans of Twilight dislike Bella, but poor Ginny might be a list-topper for Harry Potter.

Kurt is definitely veering into Gary Stu territory.

I'd like to see an episode that is all about the "Glee Club" again. I think the Kurt versus Rachel for the solo is one of my favourite moments from the show.
    Last edited by rjblue; 11-25-2010 at 12:05 AM.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast