Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    When will we start seeing her regularly on Ice again?
    Meissner is in college and skates exhibitions every now and then. Here's a thread about her next show: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=75888

vCash
    Wasn't it also the fall of 2007 that she had mono, which she didn't know at the time and only learned about later? Or was that the following fall?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    I think it's just because she wasn't expected to win worlds in the 1st place.
    Yeah. That.

Two things contributed to her demise:

1) Too much came too soon.

2) Injuries plagued her for the past two years.

In fact, (2) is enough to end just about ANYONE's career. But on top of that, you had (1) with the increasing expectations...and she appeared to be adjusting just fine when she filled out in 2007. Fastest decline I've ever seen since Sokolova.

vCash
    I still think it's unfortunate that she couldn't compete in 2010 / fall 2009 - she was injured during regionals (sprained ankle?), and b/c medical byes are no longer allowed, couldn't do sectionals or nationals. I think she was likely pulling it together and can't imagine how horrible it would be to not even be able to compete in an Olympic year.

(ETA: she was 7th in 2008 nationals and withdrew before the 2009 nats due to injury)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Screenie View Post
    I still think it's unfortunate that she couldn't compete in 2010 / fall 2009 - she was injured during regionals (sprained ankle?), and b/c medical byes are no longer allowed, couldn't do sectionals or nationals.
    Actually, Kimmie was injured before Regionals - she had to w/d from her GP events (and unable to do Regionals/Sectionals) and since her bye to Nats was contingent on her competing in the GP, that was the end of her season.

vCash
    Its weird how her career is seemed as somewhat as a failure even though really her career as a senior was about as long as Tara's and the only thing she did not achieve that Tara did was the OGM. I understand a BIG difference was that Tara was one of the two top skaters in the world during 1997 and 1998 (Kimmie of course was never considered top two) but they both have 1 national title, a silver and bronze at nationals, 1 world title (which happens to be their only world medal), and they are both Olympians and of course Tara is the Olympic champion and Kimmie is not. I don't know why I thought of this but I just did LOL.

vCash
    When I first read this thread title, I was racking my brain trying to remember another skater named Meissner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    When I first read this thread title, I was racking my brain trying to remember another skater named Meissner.
    Haha! I meant "no not that one" in relation to what I thought was the more commonly asked question about her, that is, "Will she be competing this season?" But I love your reaction!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    Its weird how her career is seemed as somewhat as a failure even though really her career as a senior was about as long as Tara's and the only thing she did not achieve that Tara did was the OGM. I understand a BIG difference was that Tara was one of the two top skaters in the world during 1997 and 1998 (Kimmie of course was never considered top two) but they both have 1 national title, a silver and bronze at nationals, 1 world title (which happens to be their only world medal), and they are both Olympians and of course Tara is the Olympic champion and Kimmie is not. I don't know why I thought of this but I just did LOL.
    Good point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    1) Too much came too soon.
    I think figure skating is about taking advantage of the opportunities you're given and, for some skaters like Meissner, the window of opportunity just turned out to be smaller/briefer than expected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12