Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

vCash
    She could stop skating to swing music. Her personality doesn't suit it, the movements seem contrived, IMO. I'd be curious to see how she would do with a different type of music, maybe something powerful and classical.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    Get into a time machine and go back and be born as someone else entirely. I don't mean that to be mean, I mean that in the sense that she has maximized her potential. Most of what holds her back is stuff that is out of her control. She is a wonderfully consistent jumper with some other nice qualities, but there are fundamental problems with her skating that I think have to do with her build and her lack of athleticism. It's not her fault. I think she does great with what she has, but what she has is not enough to be a world beater. She has played the deck she's been dealt to the best of her ability, but that deck isn't that great of a deck. I don't think Tom Z, has that much to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hiwvw View Post
    I hope to see more speed in her skating.......

I also think what Rachael needs is speed in her skating. But IIRC, Sano Minoru, one of the Japanese FS commentators, said that it was very diffucult for a (senior) skater to learn to speed up overall skating when he compared Kim's skating to Mao's after the 2008 GPF.

As Aussie Willy pointed out on another thread, not only speed but also deep edge, flow and ice coverage are important in the skating. It takes time to relearn all the basic skating skills. In my opinion, she'd better maximize her strength like jump consistency.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I was going to suggest maybe go on a media spree announcing that she and Chan are now an item, have some risque photos taken together of the two of them and spread them to all the ISU judges and technical panel. By association, her PCS will fly through the roof in no time.
    It could just bring Patrick's down. It seems like McCorkel lowered Kevin van der Perren's PCS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    She could stop skating to swing music. Her personality doesn't suit it, the movements seem contrived, IMO. I'd be curious to see how she would do with a different type of music, maybe something powerful and classical.
    The one from last year was really cute, but this year, I'm not thrilled with her short. And again, it's tough to grow when you're essentially doing the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    The one from last year was really cute, but this year, I'm not thrilled with her short. And again, it's tough to grow when you're essentially doing the same thing.
    That's how I feel, too. I really liked her SP last year. It was a little overdone, but I thought she did a great job committing to the program, and (minority opinion) I actually thought it showed off her personality quite well. She seems bubbly and smiley off ice, and a jazz program suited her.

But this year she's gone with a similar style in both programs, and both feel like they're just lacking something. Perhaps because they're repetitive and her performance looks even more overdone. They seem like worse versions of her "Sing, Sing, Sing" program. I think Rachael can do better, and I'm disappointed that she didn't considering that she no longer has the restrictions of school and could use the time to devote to developing her skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I agree. And also her footwork section from last season's SP was really difficult and impressive, whereas this year's one isn't as much.

vCash
    I wonder what someone like Mark Pilay could do with Rachael? Not that I'm comparing her to Mira Leung, but he did do wonders with the program he did with Mira.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eyh201 View Post
    I also think what Rachael needs is speed in her skating. But IIRC, Sano Minoru, one of the Japanese FS commentators, said that it was very diffucult for a (senior) skater to learn to speed up overall skating when he compared Kim's skating to Mao's after the 2008 GPF.
    Michelle improved her speed as a senior. She was faster in her 20s than during her teens. Rachel needs far more than speed in her skating. Even if she were fast, she will still not be graceful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Michelle improved her speed as a senior. She was faster in her 20s than during her teens. Rachel needs far more than speed in her skating. Even if she were fast, she will still not be graceful.
    I disagree completely. Michelle was faster when she was younger. When she got older, she got slower and her skating quality got worse.

I think it's a good thing Rachael will be leaving Tom Zzzzzz soon because it should help her overall package and basic skating if she works with someone around the bay area when she starts college.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I disagree completely. Michelle was faster when she was younger. When she got older, she got slower and her skating quality got worse.

I think it's a good thing Rachael will be leaving Tom Zzzzzz soon because it should help her overall package and basic skating if she works with someone around the bay area when she starts college.
    I disagree with both of you. Michelle competed in the 1994, 1998, 2002, and 2006 Olympic cycles. She was fastest during the 2002 Olympic cycle, which overlapped with both her teens and 20s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Really? How we see things differently! I thought her jumps and speed were better in programs like Red Violin, Song of the Black Swan than Salome, Lyra Angelica, although I love her earlier programs more.

ETA: Okay, late teens/early 20s. The bottom line was that she did improve her speed as a senior.

vCash
    If only Mirai could be as consistent in landing her jumps and handling pressure like Rachael. Flatt can at least say she got the most out of her talent unlike many of the other underachieving girls of the last few years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If only Mirai could be as consistent in landing her jumps and handling pressure like Rachael. Flatt can at least say she got the most out of her talent unlike many of the other underachieving girls of the last few years.
    Um...all things considered I think that Mirai has handled the pressure pretty well. A 4th place finish at the Olympics is nothing to sniff at and her programs at Nationals last year and when she won in 2008 were pretty snazzy.

I would not say that she's yet at a point where you can say that she hasn't lived up to her potential. A National Senior title and a National Silver medal plus a 4th place finish at Os are pretty good for a 17 year old.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Change her last name to Hughes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    ^I think they're speaking about Yu-Na's toe point in general, which is nonexistent (I say this as one of her fans btw). It's not nitpicking. There was an interview with Orser before the O's and he spoke of his frustration with Kim's lack of toe point. I think he said that she told him she didn't like to point her toe. Does anyone else remember that interview.

Getting back on topic, I really don't see Flatt getting better lines and positions, no matter how many dance classes she takes. Getting more speed in her skating might be obtainable at this point.
    In my memory, Orser has never commented about Yuna's toe point.
    Maybe you are not being confused with Sandra's comment in NBC review for Yuna's olympic LP? ^^;

(Sandra : laughing, "We've teased Orser about the fact she does not like to stretch in spirals. This is the most stretch we've seen her.")
    Last edited by EricRohmer; 12-08-2010 at 05:29 AM.

vCash
    OK MOVE ON..

vCash
    Um...all things considered I think that Mirai has handled the pressure pretty well. A 4th place finish at the Olympics is nothing to sniff at and her programs at Nationals last year and when she won in 2008 were pretty snazzy.

I would not say that she's yet at a point where you can say that she hasn't lived up to her potential. A National Senior title and a National Silver medal plus a 4th place finish at Os are pretty good for a 17 year old.
    Not to speak for Jammers, but I think the two sentences were two independent thoughts. 1) if only Mirai could be that consistent and 2) Rachael has done well for her level of talent.

vCash

Also, last year was a marathon season for Mirai, and she was a bit of a wild card for the Olympic team, anyway. She'd never made the world team, and never had a season with so much pressure, so her difficult long program came at the end of a string of newly stressful events. I think she handled herself well.

If last year is any indication, Mirai will be much better prepared for Nationals and hopefully Worlds.

Also, I prefer it when skaters look shaky in their Grand Prix programs, or when it looks like they're trying to keep up with their programs. It means their programs have room to grow, and that they're being pushed by their choreography. At the start of the season, Davis and White looked like they were trying hard to keep up with their programs, and both programs look so much stronger now. Mirai's programs looked so much better at the Trophee Eric Bompard than at the Cup of China, and she still has over a month left before Nationals. Maybe I'm hoping for too much, but I'm hoping for much stronger, more exciting, and more emotional programs by nationals once these skaters have caught up to their choreography.

vCash
    Choreo question: if Rachael's right ankle was the one that hurt, why not adjust the choreography so that she's not as dependent upon it? Her short has a step sequence that's mostly right-foot, as does her long, IIRC (and I'm pretty sure that one leads into a 3S).

I get the importance of having difficult programs, but at the same time, wouldn't it be better to do what you have well than to overcomplicate?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456