Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

vCash
    Maybe Rachael should stay away from jazz music for a couple of yrs. I don’t remember her skating to any other types of music at competitions – and she’s not a really good jazz dancer. However, when she skates to the Beatles’ song this yr, she seems to believe in the music.

She can try using “I Want to Hold Your Hand” as her new SP music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    ^I think they're speaking about Yu-Na's toe point in general, which is nonexistent (I say this as one of her fans btw). It's not nitpicking. There was an interview with Orser before the O's and he spoke of his frustration with Kim's lack of toe point. I think he said that she told him she didn't like to point her toe. Does anyone else remember that interview.
    ... She was told that she should have worked on pointing her toe, and she refused to? Who does like to point their toe? They only do it so their moves look pretty, not because they like to.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    ... She was told that she should have worked on pointing her toe, and she refused to? Who does like to point their toe? They only do it so their moves look pretty, not because they like to.
    I'm not sure why you're rolling your eyes. That's what she said and her former coach was right to critique her about it. During Worlds 2007, Dick Button bemoaned the same thing. It's not a matter of liking or not liking it. It's a matter of having good line. There are skaters who manage to point their toes so if Kim really wanted to do it (which she obviously didn't), she would have.

Anyway, back to Rachael.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    Get into a time machine and go back and be born as someone else entirely. I don't mean that to be mean, I mean that in the sense that she has maximized her potential. Most of what holds her back is stuff that is out of her control. She is a wonderfully consistent jumper with some other nice qualities, but there are fundamental problems with her skating that I think have to do with her build and her lack of athleticism. It's not her fault. I think she does great with what she has, but what she has is not enough to be a world beater. She has played the deck she's been dealt to the best of her ability, but that deck isn't that great of a deck. I don't think Tom Z, has that much to do with it.
    I don't think its too late for Rachel to work on her body shape/physique. Rachel needs a good PT that will add weight/strenght training to regimen. Granted she does not have a naturally pleasant shape due to her genetics, but that is alot of people. It just means she has work with what she has and maximize it with weight training.

Weight exercises like Clean Pull or a Push Press are explosive lifts that improve one's vertical jump. I'm pretty sure, or I hope she is doing plyometrics, this is must for skaters. Doing plyometrics would help increase her speed across the ice.

I have transformed my body via weight training and mild/moderate cardio. I see women in the gym who do hours on the cardio machines during the week and do little to no weight training. They look soft and weak. Aka skinny fat(lots of cardio but virtually no toned muscle). Women need to get over this idea that weight training will have them looking like a man. Unless you are taking steriods, testerone women are not going to look at men. Our bodies are not designed for that kind of muscle mass.

You can add depth, shape and create curves where there were none by weight/strength training.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    What could Rachael Flatt do to get much higher scores?
    Lose weight, put her hair in a bun, and stop wearing primary colors.

vCash
    ^I liked her hair in a pony tail for the 09 - 10 SP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Lose weight, put her hair in a bun, and stop wearing primary colors.
    Rachael should NOT put her hair in a bun. That hairstyle has been long played out since Michelle Kwan circa 1996-2006, and even today by several other skaters (Mao, Yu-Na, Joannie, etc.). Didn't Mirai cut her hair once during the off season a few years ago? I was disappointed to see her stuff her coif back into a dull bun. But it's all a matter of preference.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Her neck is not growing.

Her back is not getting fixed.

Not with all the ballet lessons in the world.

She'd best fix what is fixable: her speed and her spins.
    Yeah, you are probably right--a truly dramatic change in this respect is not likely. She is a nice kid, a hard worker (huge kudos to her for her academic success) but I have never been able to sit through her program, not even an SP without .
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lilshorty View Post
    Rachael should NOT put her hair in a bun. That hairstyle has been long played out since Michelle Kwan circa 1996-2006, and even today by several other skaters (Mao, Yu-Na, Joannie, etc.). Didn't Mirai cut her hair once during the off season a few years ago? I was disappointed to see her stuff her coif back into a dull bun. But it's all a matter of preference.
    Other skaters may not do well with a bun but Rachael would. Ponytails/bob haircuts do nothing for her.

vCash
    I don't care what Rachael does with her hair so long as I get to run my fingers through it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    I don't care what Rachael does with her hair so long as I get to run my fingers through it

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I think that once Rachel is done with the Zayak Cut, she should sport a Hamill Wedge, but definitely not the Aquanet Wedge w/o Rattail ... actually, the Hamill look might be just right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    I don't think its too late for Rachel to work on her body shape/physique. Rachel needs a good PT that will add weight/strenght training to regimen. Granted she does not have a naturally pleasant shape due to her genetics, but that is alot of people. It just means she has work with what she has and maximize it with weight training.

Weight exercises like Clean Pull or a Push Press are explosive lifts that improve one's vertical jump. I'm pretty sure, or I hope she is doing plyometrics, this is must for skaters. Doing plyometrics would help increase her speed across the ice.

I have transformed my body via weight training and mild/moderate cardio. I see women in the gym who do hours on the cardio machines during the week and do little to no weight training. They look soft and weak. Aka skinny fat(lots of cardio but virtually no toned muscle). Women need to get over this idea that weight training will have them looking like a man. Unless you are taking steriods, testerone women are not going to look at men. Our bodies are not designed for that kind of muscle mass.

You can add depth, shape and create curves where there were none by weight/strength training.
    I see your point, my only objection would be that if she changed the physical shape of her body who's to say she would maintain her consistency. As we have seen in the past, physical transformations are tough because it throws off timing, air position etc. so even if it is a positive move, I would think that it might have the crippling effect of throwing off her jumps (the reason she is where she is in the first place).

vCash
    I think Rachael really needs to develop her own unique style and then get programs that really draw it out. In a way she reminds me a lot of Joannie Rochette before her breakthrough. If you look at this performance of Joannie from the 2007 Worlds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pBBqsRZhd4 , the things the commentators are saying about her are very similar things often said about Rachael Flatt - good jumper, solid skater, but not the most expressive or artistic out on the ice. Joannie was able to change that in following years so maybe Rachael can too through finding a coach, choreographer, music, and programs that can really draw out the best she has to offer.

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    She needs to work on looking more natural, instead of just going from element to element. Maybe more transitions?

Aesthetically, a wedge haircut, kinda like Elena Sokolova's would help to elongate her neck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    What an odd thing to say.

vCash
    Well Rachael is one of my favorites. I want to see her do well. I agree with someone who said she had better programs in the 09 season. What happen to her beautiful Ina Bauer? She doesn't do that move anymore. Rachael stick to what you do well. I like the foot work section of her current LP, but that's it. She seems to like performing, but they need to rework the choreography of her programs. I wish she would add an falling leaf jump toward the end of her LP.

I wish she could work with Brian Boitano. I don't think Tom can take her any further. She needs some more help.

vCash
    My thoughts for Rachael (noting that she is one of my favorites):
    -I always love her music, but I sometimes wonder if she loves it as much as I do...in other words, I think she needs to pick music she really connects with. And I don't think the jazz works for her this year the way it did last year. I wonder if Rachael considered slower tempo/less jazzy music?
    [I actually got to thinking about this while I was watching gymnastics. Aliya Mustafina, the World Champ, performed her floor to "Hijo de la Luna" at Worlds and I thought she was pretty expressive. If you look at someone like Chellsie Memmel, on the other hand, she's very athletic but not that artistic. I think Memmel could have done more artistic programs, but she wanted to include her Dos Santos and other really athletic moves into a very athletic program. Had Rachael chosen more "emotional" music, I think she would have been a lot more expressive in her SP...or even in her LP. Doesn't help that her SPs this year and last were quite similar.]
    -I think she should be working with a different choreographer. I just feel like Lori Nichol is working with too many people and Rachael could use someone who can really devote some time to her and her needs.
    -Instead of focusing on her personality as a vehicle for upping her PCS, I think she should have focused on increased beauty in her performance. Rachael has an awesome personality off-ice, but that's not going to shoot up her PCS. She should have focused more on longer lines and more unique choreography (going back to one and two, actually, better music and more expressive choreography-I think both of her programs rely too much on her mannerisms to relay the story and not enough on her skating skills).
    -I think she's doing some of this, but she should be dancing frequently (as long as she sticks to jazzy music, ballet AND jazz) and perhaps Pilates?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    I see your point, my only objection would be that if she changed the physical shape of her body who's to say she would maintain her consistency. As we have seen in the past, physical transformations are tough because it throws off timing, air position etc. so even if it is a positive move, I would think that it might have the crippling effect of throwing off her jumps (the reason she is where she is in the first place).
    That can be monitored. But I'm talking about adding and toning muscle. Adding a pound or two muscle should not effect her jumps. Her technique would remain but the stronger leg muscles would improve her jumping height and speed.

Yagudin tried to lose weight in an attempt to help his jumps and it didn't make much of a difference, in fact it was worse. He lost control of the jumps because he didn't have with strength to control them.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast