Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    Brandon Mroz is someone that could definitely get away from Tom...ya.. his programs leave me cold...at least Bradley has a good sense of wit and musicality. Mroz needs to work with a coach that can take him somewhere.

Now-- i'm not so sure Rachael Flatt could benefit that much from ballet or cleaning up some positions, or if so, not the main priority. Slutskaya and Sokolova didn't need it to win world medals. What they had instead was something Flatt lacks- speed, good edging, and power. Putting in some power in her skating would do her some good.
    Second option- if she wants to continue her reputation as a reliable jumper, then she might as well just work on fixing those flip/lutz jumps, as they ain't pretty. That is another option I suppose.

vCash
    Take some musicology classes, watch live ballet, opera, theatre, film, etc.

vCash
    Honestly, IMO, it's all about playing to your strengths. Alissa is a great spinner. Miki is a great jumper. Patrick has SS like you wouldn't believe. Rachael is consistent, which, like it or not, goes really far in US ladies these days. Now, yes, they SHOULD be progressing on their weaknesses each season, but COP doesn't really give them that option- look at Mao! There is certainly an argument either way, but you can't blame someone for recognizing their strengths and excersizing them!

vCash
    FWIW, I noticed Rachael's 2d 3flip at SA was pretty big with more air--not Midori or Tonya big--but noticeably bigger than her other jumps. I wonder [and hope] if she is indeed slowly getting more power

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen View Post
    2. learn how to 'pretzel' with Caroline Zhang

That time has passed

Her top is no longer made out of rubber and her bottom is no longer made out of springs

vCash
    She need to skate clean SP and LP for a few more FS events and maybe another U.S title. Once she has the reputation of being the top U.S skater and consistent one, hopefully her second mark will go up. Maybe not to the level of Kim or Asada, but close to 60 range is pretty good. When Miki won her world title, her PCS doesn't even crack the 60 mark, but she has explosive jumps that get +GOE. Rachael while she lands and rotate her jumps, they always seem tiny and maybe thats why its not getting good +GOE.

vCash
    Maybe we should start a thread about Tom Z skaters in re whether they should 1) leave Tom Z, and 2) what coach they should go to.

vCash
    I think that isn't I think it's worth talking about.

BTW, I did notice that Rachael's flip was definitely improved,too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    I think that isn't I think it's worth talking about.

BTW, I did notice that Rachael's flip was definitely improved,too.
    Rachael, Agnes and Brandon would benefit the most. I think Alexe is just a little lost at this point

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    That time has passed

Her top is no longer made out of rubber and her bottom is no longer made out of springs
    Well, I loved her spins and maybe she'll focus on them again at some point and improve her flexibility. I think a lot of skaters manage to retain great spins for many many years, even as professional skaters. So I don't think it's a reasonable assumption to make that once a skater approaches their late teens and early 20s, their spins have to go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen View Post
    She need to skate clean SP and LP for a few more FS events and maybe another U.S title. Once she has the reputation of being the top U.S skater and consistent one, hopefully her second mark will go up. Maybe not to the level of Kim or Asada, but close to 60 range is pretty good. When Miki won her world title, her PCS doesn't even crack the 60 mark, but she has explosive jumps that get +GOE. Rachael while she lands and rotate her jumps, they always seem tiny and maybe thats why its not getting good +GOE.
    Miki did a triple lutz-triple loop, the hardest triple-triple out there in both programs, and skated squeeky clean without the slighest error in each. And even then she needed multiple major errors from both Kim and Asada to win. Asada would have even still won with atleast one major error in both programs without some technicalities like a triple- single loop combo in the short needing to get all -3 in GOE or a barely two footed jump getting almost all -2 in GOE.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    Well, I loved her spins and maybe she'll focus on them again at some point and improve her flexibility. I think a lot of skaters manage to retain great spins for many many years, even as professional skaters. So I don't think it's a reasonable assumption to make that once a skater approaches their late teens and early 20s, their spins have to go.
    I have a hard time believing the Pearl Spin with survive, although she still has a lovely classic layback.

vCash
    Rachael has a very nice layback, which she uses in her EX this year. I wish to heck she'd use it in her programs, but truly I suppose that doesn't fit Slaughter on 10th Ave.

vCash
    I have a hard time believing the Pearl Spin with survive, although she still has a lovely classic layback.
    Yes, but I think it's pretty obvious that she hasn't been focusing on her spins lately, because I think it's arguable that all of them are far from the previous best that she has achieved. (This is probably because she's been working on her jump technique.)

vCash
    What could Rachael Flatt do to get much higher scores? A number of things. Bake cookies for the judges, tutor their kids in physics and chemistry, and start hanging around Bristol Palin. After all, the latter's marks rose dramatically in just a couple of months.

vCash
    She needs to work on her non-jump elements and take some ballet lessons. She will never have a ballerina body, but it will improve her posture and give her more flexibility. She needs to work on her spins also. Top it all off with a good choreographer that can maximize her strengths and hide her weaknesses.

vCash
    Vash, she already takes ballet lessons. It appears not all ballet lessons are equal.

The spins and the choreographer are both good ideas though.

vCash
    I think the girl skates spectactular!!!! I think she's just getting preasure from these new downgrades.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    Yes, but I think it's pretty obvious that she hasn't been focusing on her spins lately, because I think it's arguable that all of them are far from the previous best that she has achieved. (This is probably because she's been working on her jump technique.)
    I think it is because there is more flesh to go with her bones, but not in a bad way.

vCash
    I think it is because there is more flesh to go with her bones, but not in a bad way.
    I agree. Most of the pretzely types are really thin and wiry like Min-Jung Kwak , Mao Asada, or Alissa Czisny. Caroline used to have that kind of build but she doesn't anymore.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast