View Poll Results: Which Men will Medal at Euros?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brian Joubert

75 83.33%
  • Tomas Verner

85 94.44%
  • Florent Amodio

33 36.67%
  • Michal Brezina

36 40.00%
  • Samuel Contesti

9 10.00%
  • Alban Preaubert

1 1.11%
  • Kevin Van Der Perren

2 2.22%
  • Javier Fernandez

5 5.56%
  • Arthur Gatchinski

7 7.78%
  • Other

5 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Does anyone know when is Brezina's next competition?

Comansnala?
    vCash
    Patrick Chan in absence. He's universal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    Never!

for starters, Tomas is never going to be as boring as Lysacek he's never going to look like a skating spider either. And I don't see him ditching the quad, no matter if he would be able to win without it or not. He's another Takahashi in this area. I remember reading somewhere a translated interview with him some years ago, where he said he loved the quad, because it felt like flying, not exactly jumping anymore.

besides, in the post-FP interview at CoR he said the quad is coming
    Ok good, that's what I think too. He seems to love the quad too much to ditch it permanently....it would almost be like if Joubert ditched the quad, which IMO would never, ever happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    Does anyone know when is Brezina's next competition?
    I assume Czech nationals if he's recovered by then.

vCash
    The only other spoiler I can think of that's not on the poll would have been Adrian Schultheiss, but he's not been performing well this season. Not sure who the 2nd Russian entrant will be alongside Gachinski. Will Switzerland even bother using all 3 of its entries?!?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    The only other spoiler I can think of that's not on the poll would have been Adrian Schultheiss, but he's not been performing well this season. Not sure who the 2nd Russian entrant will be alongside Gachinski. Will Switzerland even bother using all 3 of its entries?!?
    I would so like to see Schultheiss do well at Euros. His short program is really interesting, but his spirit just seems lost in that very traditional long program. I miss his straight jacket program and the zeal he showed while skating it.

I would really like to see Verner pull off the win at Euros.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Oh I totally forgot about him! Yes he definitely has a shot at medaling, especially if he can re-find the form he was in at the end of last season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I think so too. Some skaters on GS seem to think he's turning into the next Lysacek though....
    Well I certainly wouldn't mind Tomas to become an Olympic champion and world champion
    "it doesn't matter if you love what you do, but that you do what you love"
    a quote Tomas Verner () gave me to think about...

vCash
    I wonder if Verner could still win if he doesn't do the quad?
    I think so too. Some skaters on GS seem to think he's turning into the next Lysacek though....
    He landed a quad in the CoR gala finale just to remind everyone he's still got it. The comparison to Evan is ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    ...he's never going to look like a skating spider either.
    Ha! Now I'm having these images of Frank Carroll making Denis Ten learn "spider skating"
    Last edited by ninadel; 11-22-2010 at 09:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    Chan (yes he has so great SS he can do this too!)
    LOL Canada and Europe are connected during geological time so he should be eligible to compete. Wait, that mean Jeremy, Dai, Oda and Kazuko will be eligible too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ninadel View Post
    He landed a quad in the CoR gala finale just to remind everyone he's still got it. The comparison to Evan is ridiculous!
    Ahh yay that's exciting! Wee now he actually has a good shot at medaling at world this season!

vCash
    Brezina scored 183.64 at GoldenSpin. So it would appear he's still getting his feet under him. Maybe he can step it up in time for Euros though. I still think he has a good shot at medaling there.

But wait, does CZE only have 1 spot for the men at Euros? Last year Michal was 4th and Tomas 10th, so that's more than 13. If they really do have only 1 spot that is very unfortunate, they both deserve to compete there.
    Last edited by pinky166; 12-12-2010 at 02:04 AM.

vCash
    Wait I'm so mathematically challenged. Czech Republic has 2 spots at Euros and Worlds, they just missed out on getting 3 spots for Euros. Wow, that was stupid.

vCash
    Verner winning a quad? On the World scene he cant win squat without it. Chan had the equivalent of 7 falls and still nearly beat his back to back clean performances in Russia. Without a quad he cant beat Chan, any of the top 3 Japanese, or probably even Abbott, unless they make major mistakes, and in fact he cant beat them even with one if they are also trying a quad (as most of them most times do) unless they still make major mistakes.

In Europe though yes he can win this year without a quad I think.

As for any comparision with Evan, while I prefer Verner to Evan the reality is Verner isnt capable of racking up even close to the points quadless that a quadless Evan can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Verner winning a quad? On the World scene he cant win squat without it. Chan had the equivalent of 7 falls and still nearly beat his back to back clean performances in Russia. Without a quad he cant beat Chan, any of the top 3 Japanese, or probably even Abbott, unless they make major mistakes, and in fact he cant beat them even with one if they are also trying a quad (as most of them most times do) unless they still make major mistakes.

As for any comparision with Evan, while I prefer Verner to Evan the reality is Verner isnt capable of racking up even close to the points quadless that a quadless Evan can.
    Again the same complaints about Chan's scores !
    But remember that to win, Tomas needs to stay on his blades ! And it's very rare !

vCash

I didn't say anything about Worlds, this is the Euros thread . Of course at Worlds he needs a quad to have a shot, but at Euros the field is pretty depleted this season so he may not need it. That being said Tomas likes the quad and I think he intends to do it at Euros. The only way I see him not trying for the quad is if he has a big lead after the SP and then all the other medal favorites skating before him don't skate their best - but in that case he probably wouldn't take himself out of it should he go for the quad and fall.

He still CAN do the quad he landed a nice one in the warmup before his FS, so the comparison to Evan is just no.

If Verner ever wanted to be like Evan he'd have to start skating consistent programs for a few YEARS and maybe then his PCS would go up enough to be the next Evan. He'd probably also need to work on his spins and flexibility because that was one of Evan's strengths. But he isn't Evan so it doesn't matter, and once Joubert retires which I assume he will soon, Tomas can be top dog in Europe.

vCash
    Also in regards to quadless Verner's scoring potential, if you look at his numbers from CoC, he lost a point on his 3a in the SP and 2 points for his edge call flip. So if he lands the 3a better and did a 3lo instead of the 3f, then he could gain about 3 points just by getting 0 GOE on those elements, so that would be 77. If he got + GOE on those elements, he could come close to cracking 80.

In the FS, he lost 2 points on his 2a step out and 2 points on his edge call flip, so if he landed the 2a clean and the tech panel decided not to give him an edge call on the flip (they don't always), that would mean 160 points. So potentially a perfectly clean quadless Verner can score 240 points, which is pretty good but at Worlds would likely give him an outside shot for bronze at best.

If he does the quad though his FS layout becomes much more competitive. It looks like the plan is:

4t-3t or 4t (if he doesn't want to try it in combination)
    3a-2t
    3lo
    3a
    3lz
    3s or 3s-3t (if he falls on the quad or doesn't do it in combination)
    3f
    3lz-2t-2lo

If he could skate the above layout clean, he'd be challenging for a World medal.

vCash
    Verner winning a quad? On the World scene he cant win squat without it.
    I spoke to him about stuff like this and he knows it. He's aware of the fact that if he wants to measure himself with the top skaters of the world he needs to increase his points with difficult jumps. PCS atm won't do this for him.

and I think at Euros he will want to skate a clean performance WITH the quad. Regardless of what others do.
    "it doesn't matter if you love what you do, but that you do what you love"
    a quote Tomas Verner () gave me to think about...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deedeelocks View Post
    I spoke to him about stuff like this and he knows it. He's aware of the fact that if he wants to measure himself with the top skaters of the world he needs to increase his points with difficult jumps. PCS atm won't do this for him.

and I think at Euros he will want to skate a clean performance WITH the quad. Regardless of what others do.
    Oh I'm sure he knows it too, most skaters are more aware of these things and less cocky than you might think. And for Tomas I don't think he wants to be the next Lysacek, because he has always loved the quads, and even in recent interviews he talks about how he loves to skate and wants to be happy with how he has skated - winning does not seem to be his top priority, at least at the moment.

He's still getting used to a new coach relationship and training environment and even so he's made amazing strides this season. I don't think I can remember a time before this season when Tomas didn't pop/double jumps toward the end of his program. That alone is a big accomplishment.

I think he will show up at Euros hungry and put on a good show. I just have a feeling

Also in Europe his PCS might be higher considering the men he's up against there.

vCash
    Interesting note about Tomas' quad... on the NBC commentary they knew already that he was planning a 3T to open the long, so it must have been during practice or warm-up that he decided to take it out.

In the old days I think Tomas would have gone for it anyway... but I think it's a good approach to only go for it if you feel reasonably secure from practice/training.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast