Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

15 years ago today

I'm not sure if there is a thread on this but....

15 years ago today, the skating world has lost one of the greatest pair skaters of all time, Sergei Grinkov.

Rest in peace and you will always be remembered.

Wonder if there will be a special mention on Battle of the Blades before Katia performs....

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    It doesn't seem it, does it?

Sergei will never be forgotten by those us who were lucky enough to see him and Katia skate together. He really was one of the best male Pairs Partners that ever was.

The thing I wonder the most about Sergei these days, is how he'd be reacting to Daria as a teenager and discovering that boys really aren't as icky as they were maybe five years ago? That was the one thing that really had me the most sad fifteen years ago tonight. That Daria would never really ever know her Father or remember much about him. Still has me sad even now.

May he rest in peace.

vCash
    R.I.P. Sergei

I wonder if Katia still gets sad when she thinks of him

vCash
    RIP, Sergei. Katia's first solo tribute to him stands out as the most moving figure skating performance I have ever seen.

Fearless Musher
    vCash
    Woaw, time flies ! I hadn't realized it was already such a long time ago...
    "I missed the view and viewed the mist..." ©

vCash
    RIP Sergei

I just finished reading Ekaterina's book a few days ago. It really touched me.

vCash
    Wow.

RIP Sergei.

I remember watching them as a little girl, wanting to be just like her, with such a great partner. They are why I got into skating. I remember crying all day when I heard he died; I was 9.

vCash
    He was such a great skater, and a good man. RIP.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    There's a nice tribute to G&G at the beginning of this "Battle of the Blades" fluff intro segment that also features a clip of a now 18(!)-year-old Daria being interviewed in California: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-wAZLLI_Tw

vCash
    I think of dear, beautiful Sergei every November 20th and remember how heartbroken I was then and still am now. Everytime November comes along, I think to myself, "his aniversary is coming up, how can it be ____ years?" I cannot believe it is 15.

I'll say a prayer for Dasha today.

-Bridget

vCash
    Simply can't believe it's been 15 years. It is still shocking to me - to see such a young, healthy man pass away at such a young age. My thoughts are with Katia and Daria today. These anniversaries are never easy.

vCash
    It doesn't seem that long ago. I remember watching the TV tribute and sobbing when she skated and at the end.... when they left an "opening" for him. Just so sad. They were such a great couple.

vCash
    Every year, on November 20th, I think of him. That's weird !
    But I really loved their skating.
    RIP Sergei

vCash
    I remember sobbing.

vCash
    It's like it was yesterday. 15 years... my god. Sergei is still alive for the world of sport, his skating has not been matched, as well as the G&G pair, except by one team IMO. But G&G will remain one of a kind.

vCash
    The reason I always remember the date is because it was also my mom's birthday.

That day, I was getting ready for work and walked into the room where the radio was and they were finishing up "...................Olympic figure skater passed away". I got chills all over. I looked up the radio station's phone number and called them. I asked them who they were talking about. The girl who answered the phone told me and we both started crying.

vCash
    Sergei Grinkov will never be forgotten.

vCash
    Can't believe it's been fifteen years...seems just like yesterday when it was the ten year anniversary, and I made this:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...10/Q7U1diEG3KU

I can't believe Dasha is eighteen already! I saw that clip of her talking and I didn't believe it was her. But then when you look closer, you see just how much she looks like her dad. Awww...

Sergei will never be forgotten; he was part of one of the greatest pairs skaters ever.

Rest in peace...

vCash
    I remember my mom left me a voice mail message. She said one of the Olympic pairs skater guys from Russia had died. I didn't know if it was Artur or Sergei since she didn't have a name. Either way I was worried. Artur was my favorite male pairs skater, and Sergei was married with a child, so I felt awful either way! Still surreal. Kind of like remembering the day Lady Diana died, or when John Lennon was shot (as least for us skating fans).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    The reason I always remember the date is because it was also my mom's birthday.

That day, I was getting ready for work and walked into the room where the radio was and they were finishing up "...................Olympic figure skater passed away". I got chills all over. I looked up the radio station's phone number and called them. I asked them who they were talking about. The girl who answered the phone told me and we both started crying.

My experience is similar to yours Susan1, I first heard it on the radio....Olympic champion figure skater passes away was all I heard. I assumed it was someone from a long time ago. They repeated it again shortly after, I remember being so shocked & my mom & I crying. I can't believe it's been 15 years. So happy Ekaterina Gordeeva has continued skating though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast