Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Patrick deserved his scores today. He was overscored in Canada. IMHO.
    Me, too. I think his SP was fairly scored, it was very good and he would have scored what I would have expected had he landed the 3A, mid-to-high 80s (I mean he did a gorgeous 4T-3T, spun well, did his footwork justice this time). It was very good.

Didn't watch his FS so I don't know

vCash
    Well obviously, Patrick Chan is like the greatest skater ever. Why bother even having competitions? I think Patrick Chan should have predetermined PCS that are unattainable by any other skater just because he's so superior.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
    IMHO, you have to see him skate live to understand the brilliance of his edges, his ice coverage, the quality of his spins and jumps (that quad this year looks like a triple, it looks so easy and so smooth). I was a fan before, but having seen him skate in person I now believe he is the best male skater Canada - perhaps the world - has ever seen!! Nothing short of brilliant!!
    Live Carolina Kostner supposedly has amazing flow, speed, edges etc. But Kostner has never been able to deliver when the pressure is on. A huge part of being a great champion, is being able to deliver under pressure. There are a lot of great practice skaters, basketball players, gymnasts etc. What seperates the great practice athlete, from the great champion is that the Great Champion delivers under pressure. Patrick deserves to win when he skates, well, heck when he skates decently. But he shouldn't be able to get away with falling 4 times in a competition.

vCash
    Sure Patrick has some amazing qualities. His quad toe is also probably his best jump thusfar. Why I don't think he deserves his scores? He makes mistakes all the time in his programs and the rest of his jumps are nothing to brag about either.

vCash
    IMHO, you have to see him skate live to understand the brilliance of his edges, his ice coverage, the quality of his spins and jumps (that quad this year looks like a triple, it looks so easy and so smooth). I was a fan before, but having seen him skate in person I now believe he is the best male skater Canada - perhaps the world - has ever seen!! Nothing short of brilliant!!
    I'm in total agreement with you. He's fast too on top of all that. But if some posters have a hate on for him........so be it.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    No one deserves anything. Scores are so relative.
    But for sure, Patrick Chan's skating is from another Planet !
    So, I'm OK with his scores.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Well obviously, Patrick Chan is like the greatest skater ever. Why bother even having competitions? I think Patrick Chan should have predetermined PCS that are unattainable by any other skater just because he's so superior.
    That is pretty much how the judges think as well.

vCash
    Except that Takahashi has been getting higher PCS when he hasn't skated his best either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Except that Takahashi has been getting higher PCS when he hasn't skated his best either.
    While Daisuke has had issues, he hasn't been falling 3 times in one program. Although in general, I have seen Daisuke get huge PCS for programs filled with falls.

vCash
    I have also seen Patrick Chan skate live before.

He really has very good skating skills, ice coverage, etc but even seeing him live I'm not sure how he gets those high PE and IN scores. His choreography is complex but he seems like he's just going through the motions sometimes, particularly when he flubs his jumps.

His jumps are quite good when he lands them--he could use a bit more distance and height on his jumps however--but the problem is that he often doesn't land them. If he has such good skating skills I wonder why he isn't able to hold the landing edge of his jumps....

If the best male skater in Canada--or perhaps the world--keeps winning medals with four falls per competition, I think that is more indicative of the quality of the other men in the field (or really good politicking by his federation)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    So just my opinion, but if you substitute the name that starts with a "P" for the name that starts with a "C" and subtract 5 years then you hit the nail on its sarcastic head. However, I think Mr."C" actually is miles better in many PCS, not just SS like Mr."P" so his scores should reflect that. Again just my opinion.

And very interesting that SmallFairy brings up Elena & Anton's marks - I'm going to have to think about that...
    Last edited by Skate Talker; 11-20-2010 at 07:26 PM.

vCash
    Invalid comparisson :p MR C has superb SS but fell on his ass -only the last month- as many times as Mr P has fallen in his entire career. If Chan skates clean his program will be fantastic but until he does so his IN and PE are not such wonderful, he looks down and rushes through choreo, projecting no personality and his jumps except the gorgeous quad are small.

vCash
    OK, apparently I am sooo out of it that I can't figure out who is Mr C. Anyone wish to name names to help me out? If not here, a PM would be great.

Just to clarify, I was watching skating 15 years ago but not as much as I do now - thank you internet!
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    Invalid comparisson :p MR C has superb SS but fell on his ass -only the last month- as many times as Mr P has fallen in his entire career. If Chan skates clean his program will be fantastic but until he does so his IN and PE are not such wonderful, he looks down and rushes through choreo, projecting no personality and his jumps except the gorgeous quad are small.
    I agree and yet he gets monstrous scores far better than all others in IN and PE and GOE for his landed jumps (even ones he barely holds onto), even with programs with many falls. Oh well, not like Chan has to earn any of his scores or anything, he is so special. And of course he isnt overscored at all.

vCash
    Ita about the fact that Plushenko actually delivered in the top competitions. Look Plushenko's PCS were absolutely too high, but I don't think his Olympic win can be disputed. Nor really can his worlds wins. So to compare the two situations is ridiculous IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    OK, apparently I am sooo out of it that I can't figure out who is Mr C. Anyone wish to name names to help me out? If not here, a PM would be great.

Just to clarify, I was watching skating 15 years ago but not as much as I do now - thank you internet!
    LOL, Mr C : see thread title.
    As for Mr P. senorita wrote a post to defend Mr P. That's obvious now.

Just kidding you, senorita, of course

vCash
    really not intended to defend anything, I dont debate chan has better SS than Plu has/had, I just found the previous post before mine with Mr P and Mr C amusing
    The ones who shall not be named kind of thing

vCash
    I just hope Chan is an exception and that his scores are just the result of an exceptional skating quality. Because it's kind of weird to have such results with so many falls. If rules are respected Chan gets deductions and he is just being rewarded for his skating skills according to the rules. Discussing about the fairness of his PCS is another issue that I can't discuss here. I'm just assuming that they are deserved averall.

But hopefully he will remain an exception, so that it won't become a pattern for skaters to be excellent in skating skills and lacking of consistency in the jump area.
    Because figure skating is not ice dancing, if skaters start to win even without the jumps it will become dangerous for the futur of the sport.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Hopefully they will change the rules in the SP to punish people who fall on or otherwise blow required elements. If that had been in place this year, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifice View Post
    Because figure skating is not ice dancing, if skaters start to win even without the jumps it will become dangerous for the futur of the sport.
    No, singles and pairs figure skating clearly isn't ice dancing because when ice dancers fall on required elements, there's no way they can win a gold medal.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast