Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55
  1. #41
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,344
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    2366
    First: You do know the Trib can see when people follow that link to his page, right? They don't care what you say about his column, only that people are coming there. If you hate/disagree/wish he would quit, posting links and clicking on them are not going to help your case.

    Second: Who else blogs regularly for a major newspaper about figure skating even when it's not an Olympic year?

    I don't read Mr. Hersh or care that much one way or t'other, but if you despise him, don't click.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    What is jumping if not a skating skill?
    An element. Take a look at pages 13-16 here ("Jump Elements"):

    http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/...-0-file,00.pdf

    Skating Skills are defined and determined as follows;

    Skating Skills
    Definition: Over all skating quality: edge control and flow over the ice surface demonstrated by a command of the skating vocabulary (edges, steps, turns, etc), the clarity of technique, and the use of effortless power to accelerate and vary speed.

    Criteria:

    Balance, rhythmic knee action, and precision of foot placement

    Flow and effortless glide

    Rhythm, strength, clean strokes, and an efficient use of lean create a steady run to the blade and an ease of transfer of weight resulting in seemingly effortless power and acceleration.

    Cleanness and sureness of deep edges, steps, and turns
    The skater should demonstrate clean and controlled curves, deep edges, and steps.

    Varied use of power/energy, speed, and acceleration
    Variety is the gradation – some of which may be subtle

    Multi directional skating
    Includes all direction of skating: forward and backward, clockwise and counterclockwise including rotation in both directions.

    Mastery of one foot skating
    No over use of skating on two feet.

    Pair Skating and Ice Dancing: Equal mastery of technique by both partners shown in unison.

    Ice Dancing: Compulsory Dance – Ice Coverage
    http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/...-0-file,00.pdf

    Here is a seven-minute exhibition by John Curry, demonstrating skating skills that are as fine as any you will see and scarcely any jumps.

    And here is Midori Ito's 1983 Japan Junior Nationals Long Program, with jumps to die for, but room for improvement in her skating skills.
    Last edited by Squibble; 11-29-2010 at 11:53 PM.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    1 mile from Ice Rink
    Posts
    2,977
    vCash
    550
    Rep Power
    1708
    ^ Thanks. Really nice answer.
    This too will pass away.

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    236
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Um, sorry to bust your conspiracy theory, but as I understood it she was hired by the LA Times to write her blog during the Olympic season. So I would guess it was a limited term contract that ended after the Olympics ended.
    I'm talking about TrueSlant, not her LA Times Olympics blog. I'm not going to go into the details of the timeline, but FYI, the skirmish with Hersh revolved around an entry on TrueSlant, too; comments which likely would not have been acceptable on LA Times. My "conspiracy theory" hasn't been busted, but your logic has.


  5. #45
    Watch me move
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    16,756
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKPRINCESS View Post
    I'm talking about TrueSlant, not her LA Times Olympics blog. I'm not going to go into the details of the timeline, but FYI, the skirmish with Hersh revolved around an entry on TrueSlant, too; comments which likely would not have been acceptable on LA Times. My "conspiracy theory" hasn't been busted, but your logic has.

    Her last entry in TrueSlant states that she's taking a break because she wanted to focus on school. Logic much?
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    236
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Her last entry in TrueSlant states that she's taking a break because she wanted to focus on school. Logic much?
    I just feel sorry for you, grasping at straws because your post directed to me was completely deflated. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

    I stand by my original post.

  7. #47
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    vera ellen's turtleneck museum
    Posts
    29,830
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    22411
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastClub View Post
    Dick Button even has people read FSU for him.
    there arent too many things I wouldnt do to get this job
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  8. #48
    Watch me move
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    16,756
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKPRINCESS View Post
    I just feel sorry for you, grasping at straws because your post directed to me was completely deflated.
    In your dreams.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

  9. #49
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,522
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10131

    From Twitter

    olyphil Philip Hersh
    To Figure Skating Universe posters: Yes, I read you. Why wouldn't I want to read news/opinions expressed by passionate fans of skating?

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In Canuck Land, hey!
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,781
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    olyphil Philip Hersh
    To Figure Skating Universe posters: Yes, I read you. Why wouldn't I want to read news/opinions expressed by passionate fans of skating?
    and he concurs - we are the passionate fans of skating here at FSU! Yipee.
    Crazy about sports!

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    236
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Hiiiii Hersh!!!!

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In little Yuna's Corner
    Posts
    698
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    olyphil Philip Hersh
    To Figure Skating Universe posters: Yes, I read you. Why wouldn't I want to read news/opinions expressed by passionate fans of skating?

  13. #53

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Still cheering for Mirai and Jeremy
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,861
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1270
    Hey Phil!
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

  14. #54
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    vera ellen's turtleneck museum
    Posts
    29,830
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    22411
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    there arent too many things I wouldnt do to get this job
    I guess having it as a rep level is the next best thing! thank you sekret rep kreator
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  15. #55

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,163
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1604

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •