Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Hersh, you've better to use it before you write about sameone who you don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Yu-Na

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    I usually make the point that at least Hersh is writing about skating. This blurb makes me wish he had not bothered. Dreary skating? Yeah, right.

vCash
    Ugh. I hate that dismal attitude. I personally love Kanako and expect to see her up there with Elizaveta Tutktamshyeva in 2014. I also think that Agnes Zawadzki has a big future ahead of her, as does Christina Gao-and there are probably a handful of others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

And I think that Worlds 2011 is going to be way more fun than the GP series has been.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ever View Post
    Hersh, you've better to use it before you write about sameone who you don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Yu-Na
    Hersh seems to mean the early part of the season (before yuna wins 06TEB and 06GPF).
    Last edited by EricRohmer; 11-22-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Team Voronov, party of 1
    vCash
    And Hersh is still relevant because...?

vCash
    When was the last time Hersh said something nice about skating in general. Maybe he just hates figure skating and shouldn't be writing about it. Why are more skaters falling and injuring themselves these days? That's all he seems to see. Sure I don't like to see a splatfest but I have a measure of respect for these athletes who invest so much time, money, energy, etc. to get to the top levels of skating. So what if Hersh doesn't like it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamSkates View Post
    When was the last time Hersh said something nice about skating in general. Maybe he just hates figure skating and shouldn't be writing about it.
    My thoughts exactly. Mistakes are the norm rather than exception in GP programs, many of which are underwhelming at this point in the season. But it's still exciting to see the new programs and watch them evolve - and there are always pleasant surprises, this year being no exception (i.e. the two Murakami's, Moscovitch and Moore-Towers, Sui and Hen, Armin at SA.

Phil needs to sit down with PJ Kwong and talk to her about FS. Her love of the sport is infectious and dour and grumpy Phil could use an infusion of her enthusiasm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    This is my favorite part of all: and Canada's perpetually overscored Patrick Chan. I am glad atleast someone had the guts to say it.
    The only reason Phil knows that Chan is overscored is because he read it in FSU.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    The only reason Phil knows that Chan is overscored is because he read it in FSU.
    I wouldn't necessarily assume that to be the case because Hersh wrote about this topic in his November 2nd blog after Skate Canada: Tales from the Great White North: Chan's scores a joke; ...

I don't particularly enjoy reading Hersh's negativity but, on the whole, I think he does respect and understand figure skating as sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily assume that to be the case because Hersh wrote about this topic in his November 2nd blog after Skate Canada: Tales from the Great White North: Chan's scores a joke; ...

I don't particularly enjoy reading Hersh's negativity but, on the whole, I think he does respect and understand figure skating as sport.
    My guess is he read the outrage here about Chan's scores after SC, went back and watched the videos, chatted on the phone with Weiss to get his take on the whole matter and then wrote that "article". I wonder if he feels vindicated in his writing what with all the topics here about Chanflation?
    Crazy about sports!

Watch me move
    vCash
    Phil is a hack. What an easy column to write when one-third of it is cut-and-pasted from a column he wrote four years ago.

And he can't be reading FSU too closely when he fails to notice (a) that the thread titles for event PBP discussions are posted *before* the event starts, so they aren't reflections of the quality of the event after it's over, and (b) the thread titles are always snarky, regardless of how good or bad the event is expected to be.

But noticing those things would require close reading and serious attention, and Phil's writing displays less and less evidence of both.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post

And he can't be reading FSU too closely when he fails to notice (a) that the thread titles for event PBP discussions are posted *before* the event starts, so they aren't reflections of the quality of the event after it's over, and (b) the thread titles are always snarky, regardless of how good or bad the event is expected to be.

But noticing those things would require close reading and serious attention, and Phil's writing displays less and less evidence of both.
    I pointed that out to him when I answered his tweet.

"A eunuch in a harem".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Phil is a hack. What an easy column to write when one-third of it is cut-and-pasted from a column he wrote four years ago.
    To be fair, a lot of columnists probably do the same thing.

Why assume that Phil reads FSU at all? Has he indicated in any way that he does?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    And Hersh is still relevant because...?

Because everytime Hersh post an article, someone immediately goes OMG and post a link to it .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    To be fair, a lot of columnists probably do the same thing.

Why assume that Phil reads FSU at all? Has he indicated in any way that he does?
    I'm guessing at least some of us believe he reads FSU when titles of our topics appear in his articles. IIRC, there have been a few times when it seems like he has paraphrased a few posters and their posts. I don't really know for sure, but I'd think if he's not the one reading FSU then someone in his camp is doing so.
    Crazy about sports!

Not summer :(
    vCash
    He reads FSU.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    I'm guessing at least some of us believe he reads FSU when titles of our topics appear in his articles. IIRC, there have been a few times when it seems like he has paraphrased a few posters and their posts. I don't really know for sure, but I'd think if he's not the one reading FSU then someone in his camp is doing so.
    I'd estimate least 75% of the elite skating community - coaches, parents, skaters, judges and journalists - read or follow FSU. (And 75% might be too low.)

Phil definitely reads FSU.

Dick Button even has people read FSU for him.

vCash
    What is jumping if not a skating skill? Don't kill the messenger (Phil). I guess stagnancy in a post olympic year might be expected, but the women, in particular, seem to be taking skating backwards. Re judging 6.0 is back in full force. Little in that regard has been solved by COP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I think Hersh is being a bit dire.
    I agree with your post. I agree with Hersh's article for the most part, but would find it more agreeable had he been more "gently disappointed, and hopeful" rather than...sounding so dark and gloomy. It kind of makes me laugh how he inserted the bit about Yu-Na too, and got sentimental. I can't say I feel quite as low about the Grand Prix and quite as high about Yu-Na's Olympics, but...hey, I guess it sort of evens out and alerts you that he may still have a beating heart.

Heh.

Anyone remember Jennifer Kirk and Hersh's exchange with her? Did she permanently close her blog? It feels like she just kind of opened it when Sasha was making a bid for the 2010 Olympic team and then quietly shut it down when Sasha stepped out again.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKPRINCESS View Post

Anyone remember Jennifer Kirk and Hersh's exchange with her? Did she permanently close her blog? It feels like she just kind of opened it when Sasha was making a bid for the 2010 Olympic team and then quietly shut it down when Sasha stepped out again.
    Um, sorry to bust your conspiracy theory, but as I understood it she was hired by the LA Times to write her blog during the Olympic season. So I would guess it was a limited term contract that ended after the Olympics ended.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast