Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    He has fans???

vCash
    Well, in fact, both your translation and the OP's lack the part where he mentions his coach, his wife, the federation and also address the gazzete and call them all "friends"
    If that doesn't sound to you as gratitude is ok, maybe the only missing link I mentioned was the fans part, mea culpa :

Yes, in fact most of them were wrong.
    How come?
    I'm comparing some of my points with your translation:

Don’t think that I overestimate myself but I still believe that I did not lose the Olympics in Vancouver either.

Regarding the "I still think I should have won" bit, it's true, sorry, it's how he feels, if people don't like it, he's taking the risk of the criticism that affirmation would carry. IMO he's just being honest about it, he could go and put a facade to be forgiven but he's not being that fake. If people want to hate on him for that, well there's nothing else to say.

I am not going to express contrition but after the Olympic passions slightly cooled, only slightly, mind you, I see and realize that I had lost control of my overwhelming emotions. Perhaps, I was emotionally overwhelmed during some of the interviews. But I felt such pain—the physical merged with the psychological. I was hurt.

Among those to blame I saw not only the judges but also people who had helped me for many years, the ones close to me. I mean the president of many years of our skating federation, Valentine Nikolayevich Piseev. In the event that these people were upset by what I said, I’d like to ask them to forget all the superficial that was said in the heat of the moment and to resume our cooperation.

he said "I felt all kind of things at that time, but now that I've calmed down, I'm not blaming anymore, I want to forget all that, I said a lot of things that offended many people, I'm asking for comprehension because I was a mess of emotions and pain, I even thought people around me (probably his federation, he never say "my relatives") was not being supportive enough"

I am convinced that I could help the Russian federation that had previously shared a common language with me, to win a medal and even medals in Sochi. I had come back not just to skate for another season or two. I dream of skating at the Olympics at home. And in contrast to the baron Pierre de Coubertin, my goal is not just participation but a victory. And I do swear (excuse my highfalutin style) to give everything that I have, everything that is possible (to achieve) this goal.

In short: he's addressing his federation, saying that he's serious about keep competing, that he's concentrating in training, keeping his weight and so. Remember some time ago Russian Fed asked him for a "strong commitment" to help him with reinstatement, so, this letter is a declaration of intentions.

I don't see a bias in the actual body of her translation.
    Well, I don't know in yours, but in my book, since the moment I call something or someone and idiot or an idiocy, as well as If I call something "beautiful", I'm showing some kind of bias, positive or negative.

It's a matte of interpretation, I guess.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Sarahjev, your posts are not a translation but a collection of inferences and extrapolations that illustrate your personal view of the letter and not how it was written in actuality.

You do understand the difference between translation and inference? You are trying to infer what Plushenko's feelings and intent were, TAHbKA and I are just translating.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjev View Post
    Well, in fact, both your translation and the OP's lack the part where he mentions his coach, his wife, the federation and also address the gazzete and call them all "friends"
    If that doesn't sound to you as gratitude is ok, maybe the only missing link I mentioned was the fans part, mea culpa :
    Thanking usually involves words like "thank you" and "grateful". Mentioning various people such as coach and federation is just that, a mention and does not amount to thanking. How is calling someone "friends" equivalent to thanking them? I consider that an expression of courtesy and familiarity, and that's it. I hope you don't make your living translating. You could cause an international incident.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 11-20-2010 at 08:54 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    How many "L's" in loser. I hope he comes out with more crap like this as people who had defended him in the past are now going .
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Fearless Musher
    vCash
    [
    Hey, this thread is not about who's giving the best translation or not. TAHbKA and IceAlisa are both Russian native speakers, and obviously so are you but the difference is they are articulate and able to provide a full clear translation, they're not just bickering and nitpicking to have the last word. The so-called differences you mentionned make actually no difference at all, the general idea and intent of the letter are the same. So please get back on track and if you want to make a point or anything constructive, tell us about what you think of the letter itself, not of the three words and four commas, that were, in your sole opinion, misplaced...

Back on real topic, and as much as I'm not fond of Plushenko's personality, to me this is simple "politiking", not more, no less. And politiking in figure skating tends to be done heavily and noisily, which means rarely in the most elegant manner. I agree with Princess Lep, he'd better stop competitive skating before he destroys what's left of his already damaged body. When ambitions push you towards a wheelchair, figuratively speaking (or maybe not that figuratively...), you'd better revise them asap.
    Last edited by cholla; 11-20-2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Kant spull
    "I missed the view and viewed the mist..." ©

Tranquillo
    vCash
    How can I take this letter seriously when he doesn't even mention having death in his soul?
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 11-20-2010 at 12:41 AM.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    At least he didn't lose to Chan.

vCash
    IceAlisa - many thanks for bringing real clarity to the translation discussion and confirming that the initial translation was accurate. There is no way many of us could have known that.

vCash
    First off.... I must say.....Really?
    Then.... : : :

Lastly, denial is not a river in Egypt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I hope you don't make your living translating. You could cause an international incident.
    Don't worry about my international affairs, People'll never get to know about them..... until it's too late!

I think it's obvious mine was not a literal translation, never intended to. Also don't think my interpretation was that far fetched, that's why I dared to compare my words with your translation.

Also, what's wrong with giving sort of my own take on the content of the letter, isn't everybody here doing the same? or do I need to have a negative opinion too to make it valid?

I insist that doesn't matter how "literal" a translation is, it's gonna lose some impartiality at the moment we put and adjective to it.

vCash
    Gorskov and Ciquanta both said recently that he must show he really intends to compete next years, and that he understands his faults, I found the Gorskov link above, which is right before this letter date, they forgot to say that he needs to write 100 times, I didnt win the platinum medal. The letter is a joke, probably needed to get the reinstatement, since when Plush writes dear diary letters to public?I didnt think he was that communicative first place.

I used to live in Adam's curls, but he cut them - so now I'm homeless. =o(
    vCash
    LOL Oh

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    IceAlisa - many thanks for bringing real clarity to the translation discussion and confirming that the initial translation was accurate. There is no way many of us could have known that.
    No problem.

Don't worry about my international affairs, People'll never get to know about them..... until it's too late!

I think it's obvious mine was not a literal translation, never intended to. Also don't think my interpretation was that far fetched, that's why I dared to compare my words with your translation.

Also, what's wrong with giving sort of my own take on the content of the letter, isn't everybody here doing the same? or do I need to have a negative opinion too to make it valid?

I insist that doesn't matter how "literal" a translation is, it's gonna lose some impartiality at the moment we put and adjective to it.
    I was under the impression this discussion began with your commentary on the quality and precision of TAHbKA's translation. You pointed out the perceived imperfections and then provided rather irrelevantly, your own summary of the letter that you qualified as "precisions" and which I interpreted as "clarifications". However, they hardly clarified a thing about the initial translation or its quality.

It is customary to compare apples to apples, translation to translation and not apples to oranges--translations to personal impressions of the material.

Oh well. I give up on trying to look for an actual point in your posts. One of my favorite sayings in Russian is that it's hard to look for a black cat in a dark room, especially if the cat is not there.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 11-20-2010 at 07:40 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Who wrote the letter for him????It totally sucked!!! Can it be more idiotic????

oh,maybe he can ask Yagudin to tell him how to deal with these things on next month's show

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Nice to see the months past since Vancouver that Plushy's taken the time to read and get to know the Rulebook inside and out. :roll:

I once read in an interview Kurt Browning saying the saddest thing to watch in Sport is an Athlete who can't realize his/her time has past by and it's time to leave. He's right too. Combine whatever's left of Plushy's body and his arrogant mindset and...This is just plain sad.

The best thing the Russian Fed could do is to tell him "NO!!" when it comes to fighting the ban the ISU slapped on him, rightfully too I might add. He told them he couldn't skate in Torino due to injury, but then goes and does two (?) shows that same week as Worlds!?! What part of breaking the rules did Plushy not understand? I do believe his body is just about at the end of what it can handle skating wise, which is why I say the best thing in the world for the Russian Fed to do is not to support him in his fight to regain his eligiblity.

I've seen Elvis Stokjo after shows and he can't walk w/out a limp, who knows what kind of shape he'll be in a few years from now. Plushy's had even more happen to his body. It's time for someone to give him a good hard dose of reality and tell him it's time to move on.

Yeah...I know...A snowball's got a better chance in Hell, but...

Comansnala?
    vCash
    Well, obviously I can't stop whining myself ...

I'm not a Plushenko fan, never was and never will be, but actually I was rooting for him in Vancouver, 'cause I wanted anyone, anyone else!!!, even P., to win but that poor, ugly amateur.
    P. could've beaten him easily just with a tip of his finger, but at that particular moment he simply didn't do enough to prevent the worst (I'll never forgive him! ). Quad or not, he skated downright sloppy with some wonky landings. Has he ever watched his performance in Vancouver? Far away from his usual standard.

None of them really deserved to be "Olympic Champion". It was one of the most disastrous, devastating result in the history of Men's Olympic competitions.

Daisuke Takahashi is the Olympic Champion of my heart ... plus ... a big fat honourable mention to
    Johnny Weir!

vCash
    Four words to Plushy - Too bad, so sad!
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    In sports, as in life generally, if you want people to forget about ill-considered things you said, you have to start speaking graciously and to acknowledge your shortcomings as well as your previous mistakes. As long as Plushenko keeps saying that he should have won, he will be consigning himself to the scrap heap of poor losers. And he needs to clean up his act quickly, or no one will pay attention. Just look at how Linda Fratianne, Surya Bonaly, and Nancy Kerrigan are still treated with contempt on this forum, three decades after the fact in Fratianne's case.
    FSU is everyone? Yes, just look at how Fratianne is still being treated with contempt in this forum decades after the fact. Gee, what does that say about some of the attitudes here? And Plushenko is the one who needs a lesson on speaking graciously?? Simply amazing...

Newsflash: FSU is a very long way from being everyone. (Shock and Awe, I know.) And guess what else? It truly doesn't matter whether a person supports Plushenko or not, he will remain relevant until the day he retires because he still has the skills to medal in comps. (Please don't waste your time bringing up the drama with the ISU, that has nothing to do with the point I am trying to make.)

It would be awesome - and novel - if some of you would take the time to crosscheck translations and references before you decide what the truth is...you know, so you can have some real objectivity before you proceed with your crucifixion of the chosen target of the day. The translation of Plushenko's letter at the beginning of this thread is incorrect, and the mistakes can not be dismissed considering how they change the context and tone of the letter.

vCash
    TAHbKA and IceAlisa, thanks so much for your translations! I have never seen any reason to doubt your work earlier or now. It seems to me that some ueberfans are just desperately trying to find faults in them, as that is the only thing they are able to do under these cirmumstances to defend a favourite, . Yeah, of course if a Russian skater´s words are being seen as ridiculous, it is the fault of translation and not of the skater
    Last edited by Jaana; 11-20-2010 at 01:24 PM.

vCash
    Answer of Arthur Verner,russian journalist, of the letter of Eugeny

Любопытное письмо. Интересно, кто его написал. То, что не сам - понятно, но это и не стиль А.Н.Мишина. Наверное, любимая супруга - она намного старше и намного умнее. Любопытное. Я прочёл его три раза но, простите, не заметил, чтобы Плющенко извинился перед теми, кто его все эти годы поддерживал. На мой сугубо субъективый взгляд - это обращение с восхвалениями своих прошлых заслуг к одной конкретной московской газете с просьбой впредь его поддерживать. Не исключаю, что написали его после того, как бывшие болельщики Евгения "проголосовали рублём" и полностью сорвали гастроли группы с Плющенко по всей России. Даже передача шоу по ТВ была отменена. Так что, повторяю, для меня это скорее просьба о помощи плюс реклама себя, любимого, нежели извинение.
    Please, TAHbKA or IceAlisa, can translate?..
    PS: I understand it but I cannot translate of Russian - English.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast