Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Skaters should be able to compete as long as they wish provided that they are qualified. I enjoyed his skating very much in the past, and good luck to him!

vCash
    Lol, I only can be gone for days and get surprises when back, so is this part of the mandatory I m kissing your ass in public Pissev for the process of reistatement letter that Gorshkov talked about in an article this week? I thought they waited that next spring.

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Oh, for God's sake. If, in the amount of time he spent writing this letter, he had studied the rule book, maybe he would have won. And if he had spent some time on some real choreography instead of that silly hip wiggling and posing he did in the long program, maybe he would have won.
    Word.
    "In no way do I think I stopped commanding a spotlight. I think I travel with one." -- Johnny Weir

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjev View Post
    Sorry but that translation is not accurate and biased against Plush.
    Besides, what's so wrong about what he's saying?

In a nutshell: "coming back was not easy, I was angry and hurt at the "defeat", said things that federation and people didn't like, please let's forget about that, I'm looking at the future and want to keep skating, please support me"

What's so "offensive" and "idiot" about that?
    The translation is rather accurate--I am a native Russian speaker.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Absolutely pathetic.......
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    So, Plushenko is the first skater who worked hard? Might be news to him but he's not the only one.
    There's rules, he broke the rules. Period. And no one can tell me he didn't know the rules after he's been in the skating circuit for as long as he has.

Mao Asada didn't get an exception to the rule despite her really good chances of winning gold at the Olympics. Why should Plushenko get an exception now? If you give one exceptions, others will come forward and will whine as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    The translation is rather accurate--I am a native Russian speaker.
    Thanks for that info! (I really didn't doubt that TAHbKA's translation was pretty much on the mark.)

vCash
    I am a native Russian speaker.
    Then you will agree with me that there are little but significant mistakes in it.

Anyway, I see that there is no need of mistranslations when one deliberatedly prefers to be close-minded.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Very well, here's my translation:

After (having endured) trauma, surgeries, a divorce and a woeful lack of faith in my return after almost four years of absence, I had come back nonetheless.

The point was not just figure skating itself. Coming back you should know why you are enduring all the sweet and not so sweet torture of practices, all the injections and bandages. I didn’t have doubts there. I skated not only for myself but for my country, for my city, for my family and for my coach.

I felt powerful. I knew that I could beat the pain. I fought the extra weight like it was my worst enemy. And together with Alexei Nikolayevich and the whole team we won the Russian championship and the championship of Europe.

Don’t think that I overestimate myself but I still believe that I did not lose the Olympics in Vancouver either. No one can convince me otherwise and those who wish to try should remember my quads and those other jumps that were sufficient for my rival to step above me on the podium. I don’t blame him for anything but there is after all a sense of justice.

The lack of this sense of justice in the judges deeply unsettled me. I am not going to express contrition but after the Olympic passions slightly cooled, only slightly, mind you, I see and realize that I had lost control of my overwhelming emotions. Perhaps, I was emotionally overwhelmed during some of the interviews. But I felt such pain—the physical merged with the psychological. I was hurt.

Among those to blame I saw not only the judges but also people who had helped me for many years, the ones close to me. I mean the president of many years of our skating federation, Valentine Nikolayevich Piseev. In the event that these people were upset by what I said, I’d like to ask them to forget all the superficial that was said in the heat of the moment and to resume our cooperation.

I am convinced that the new president of our federation, the Olympic Champion Alexander Gorshkov, understands me well. The ISU has banned me from amateur competition. But I do know that the last word in figure skating has not yet been said. Together with Alexei Nikolayevich I had gone through the full training cycle, maintaining my weight and regimen. I am still a member of the Russian team. But that’s not the important thing. I really want to represent my country.

I am convinced that I could help the Russian federation that had previously shared a common language with me, to win a medal and even medals in Sochi. I had come back not just to skate for another season or two. I dream of skating at the Olympics at home. And in contrast to the baron Pierre de Coubertin, my goal is not just participation but a victory. And I do swear (excuse my highfalutin style) to give everything that I have, everything that is possible (to achieve) this goal.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 11-19-2010 at 09:56 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Very well, here's my translation:
    Thank you

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So now you see that TAHbKA's translation was just fine.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    So now you see that TAHbKA's translation was just fine.
    I've never said it was enterely wrong, I said there was some details and little mistakes. Weren't my previous precisions right too?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I've never said it was enterely wrong, I said there was some details and little mistakes. Weren't my previous precisions right too?
    Other than the initial typo (I skated only for me vs. I skated NOT only for me) her translation is fine and conveys accurately the tone and meaning of the letter.

And there was no part where he was thanking anyone, btw.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Thanks to both TAHbKA and IceAlisa for their translations. As for the letter itself...Plushenko should just forget about the judges and read the rulebook.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Other than the initial typo (I skated only for me vs. I skated NOT only for me) her translation is fine and conveys accurately the tone and meaning of the letter.

And there was no part where he was thanking anyone, btw.
    Look at the original:
    http://www.rg.ru/2010/11/19/plyuschenko.html

He thanks his people and the gazzette wich is publishing the letter.

I ask you again, were my precisions wrong?

And there was more typos and some ommitions besides the first one (big mistake to start if you ask me ) After all, those are not the biggest problem for me. Perhaps the bias showed as early from the subtitle (mention of "idiocy") permeated the whole thing.

vCash
    Is this guy for real?

Is this letter for real or is it a 'plant' by someone trying to make Plush look like a Jack-A**?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Is this guy for real? Is this letter for real or is it a 'plant' by someone trying to make Plush look like a Jack-A**?
    The letter isn't for us skating fans, but rather to ingratiate himself into the Russian Fed's good graces so that they will support his appeal for re-instatement and he can once again compete in ISU-sanctioned events to add medals and glory to the Russian skating tradition.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Look at the original:
    http://www.rg.ru/2010/11/19/plyuschenko.html

He thanks his people and the gazzette wich is publishing the letter.
    Where exactly does he do that? Please point to the exact paragraph and sentence. The opening that was missing in TAHbKA's link is this:
    Дорогие друзья!

Почему обращаюсь к вам, в "Российскую газету". Потому что читаю, и регулярно, вашу спортивную страницу. Потому что вы много и профессионально пишете о фигурном катании. И еще потому, не буду скрывать, что уже долгие годы, с самого моего спортивного детства, знаком с вашими спортивными репортерами, которые поддерживали нас, фигуристов, не только в минуты триумфа, но и в моменты сложные, иногда исключительно тяжелые.

Настал такой период и в моей жизни.
    which translates to:
    Dear friends,
    The reason I turn to you, The Russian Newspaper is because I read your sports section on the regular basis and because you cover figure skating a lot and do it professionally. And also because, let me be honest, I have been acquainted with your sports writers for a long time since my childhood. These writers supported us, skaters not only in the time of triumph but also in the complex moments, sometimes extremely difficult ones. This is one such moment in my life.
    I ask you again, were my precisions wrong?
    Yes, in fact most of them were wrong.
    And there was more typos and some ommitions besides the first one (big mistake to start if you ask me ) After all, those are not the biggest problem for me. Perhaps the bias showed as early from the subtitle (mention of "idiocy") permeated the whole thing.
    I don't see a bias in the actual body of her translation.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 11-20-2010 at 06:00 AM.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    The battle of the Translations ...

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    The battle of the Translations ...
    What battle? I did mine to show that I am in agreement with TAHbKA's and no other has been offered.

from Speedy Death

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast