KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash

November 17: Facebook "National Unfriend Day"

Jimmy Kimmel went on a tirade about excessive Facebook friends a few weeks ago, and it's attracted lots of well-deserved publicity.

Original tirade - November 3
    Follow-up - November 4
    How to unfriend - November 9

Article with useful reminder about creating friend "lists" to control what info you share to certain groups of people

As for people with endless game announcements, I've ignored their game posts, and as for people with non-value-added posts ("cooking dinner haha") I've ignored their posts entirely. And I haven't been afraid to unfriend people whose posts are endlessly depressing, depressed, and/or outright annoying.

In one case, an intern at work friended me, which meant I could see all of her beach bikini photos from the prior weekend. Now that was TMI and warranted immediate unfriending... haven't friended anyone who is a current colleague ever since.

It remains to be seen how many people are actually unfriended as a result of this.

vCash
    I saw that Jimmy Kimmel segment last night. It was funny! Loved the song with Darius Rucker and that other guy!

That said, I generally prefer to ignore people rather than un-friend them. Un-friending just seems so... final. Like, once you un-friend them, it would be weird to re-friend them later. And I never friend co-workers for the reason you note above. Also, I don't want any of them knowing what goes on in my personal life. It's nothing scandalous, but still it's none of their damn business! (I once ran into a law firm partner at LAX on my way back from vacation with my then-boyfriend. It was awkward and annoying to have to make introductions. As George Costanza would say, worlds were colliding! So yeah, coworkers on Facebook... hell no!)

I'm pretty careful about what I post on Facebook. No embarrassing photos, no complaining about work, nothing too TMI.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    I've pruned 5 sketchy people I barely knew from high school (never even shared one class with, ever). There, I feel like I've accomplished something today.

vCash
    I don't particularly care what Jimmy Kimmel thinks of my friending tendencies. To each his own.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I agree with the idea ... but I'm definitely not the target here. All my Facebook friends are actual, well, friends.

But I do know a lot of people who could benefit from an unfriend day!

vCash
    Goodbye, BYTCH!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I have two current coworkers on FB, but I never mention work on FB other than an occasional "it's Monday, boo to going to work!" and I don't list my employer. I do have some friend lists that hide some albums from some people - but I find it annoying to remember who can see what. I just don't post any scandalous photos

There are a couple of people I should probably prune - one is someone I don't know at all whose posts are so annoying I hid them (she is in a larger community I know) and some old old old friends who never even use FB so why bother. Perhaps this will motivate me to get rid of them.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry