Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The wiener takes it all
    vCash

2010-11 Grand Prix Assignments Discussion 2.0

So the previous thread was closed because it was 1000+ posts (thanks to all of the withdrawals) so I'm starting a new one to continue the assignments discussion.

If you want to discuss particular GP competition results please go to the K&C forums.

The only change to the PDFs today is Jinlin Guan's assignment to TEB replacing Brezina:
    http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=2301

There is still one Men's spot free at TEB.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash

Looks like there is only going to be one Grand Prix for me this year. Oh well, I made the most of the one I had!
    http://twitter.com/Armin_hammer/status/4891360284901376 (Armin Mahbanoozadeh)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post

Oh, that's too bad.

vCash
    As for the invitation of Jinlin Guan, I think this was done before Armin Mahbanoozadeh finished 3rd at Skate America.

vCash
    So sad! He was a joy to watch. I really think he is Priscilla's and the US' next best guy. I really hope he makes the world team this year.

vCash
    I'd love to see Armin at TEB, why can't he come too?

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    As of today, Jinlin Guan's name is off of the TEB men's roster (he was on there yesterday)...

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00007099.htm

Still two open Men spots...

vCash
    Skate America is known to have a "soft" field to maximize the medalling chances of US skaters. France is just playing the exact same game. Can't blame them. Just change the rules. If you medal in a grand prix and only have 1 GP, you become the first alternate for the following GP.
    I love watching Armin and feel bad for him but the selecting criteria needs to be reviewed completely.

If I were the French Fed, I would negotiate a deal..OK for Armin this year, but give us spots for our skaters next year. At skate america, we want: Silete and one of our 3 junior ice-dance teams that medalled in the JGP this year. I am somewhat kidding though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Skate America is known to have a "soft" field to maximize the medalling chances of US skaters. France is just playing the exact same game. Can't blame them. Just change the rules. If you medal in a grand prix and only have 1 GP, you become the first alternate for the following GP.
    I love watching Armin and feel bad for him but the selecting criteria needs to be reviewed completely.
    Huh? In men's we had the current World Champ and Oda. In ladies, we had the current European Champ and Junior World Champ. In pairs, we had a two-time World Champ and the Junior World Champs. Dance is the only one that was a wash and that is only because Davis and White are so far ahead of anyone ranked 4-6. How is SA a soft field?

vCash
    The ladies field of SA was indeed weak.

Lepisto ... weakest of the top 3
    Kostner ... always bombs in NA
    Flatt ... national champion
    Helgesson ...

SA had to take someone from Japan. Murakami was a better deal compared to Asada, Suzuki and Ando. Skate Canada must have the same strategy. They are luckier to pick Imai and Suguri. Obvious threats like Kim, Ando and Suzuki were pushed to China and Russia. They were not interested in "watering down" the field as NA. I guess Kim didn't submit her request to the ISU (because she intended to skip GP from the beginning).

As for men, I guess Takahashi requested an assignment to SA and the US had no reason to refuse. Oda was not considered as a big threat after the disgrace at Torino worlds. Rippon was planned to make the Final with two silvers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    I guess Kim didn't submit her request to the ISU (because she intended to skip GP from the beginning).
    Yu-Na Kim was assigned to China and Russia back in June -- all the original GP selections can be viewed online, just click on the "entries" links in the first post of the original GP assignments thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...06&postcount=1
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-18-2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: oops, edited out my goof!

vCash
    The ladies field of SA was indeed weak.

Lepisto ... weakest of the top 3
    Kostner ... always bombs in NA
    Flatt ... national champion
    Helgesson ...

SA had to take someone from Japan. Murakami was a better deal compared to Asada, Suzuki and Ando. Skate Canada must have the same strategy. They are luckier to pick Imai and Suguri. Obvious threats like Kim, Ando and Suzuki were pushed to China and Russia. They were not interested in "watering down" the field as NA. I guess Kim didn't submit her request to the ISU (because she intended to skip GP from the beginning).

As for men, I guess Takahashi requested an assignment to SA and the US had no reason to refuse. Oda was not considered as a big threat after the disgrace at Torino worlds. Rippon was planned to make the Final with two silvers.
    I really don't think so. The US has typically had a very competitive Skate America field, and this year wasn't much different. Any anyone who thinks that Oda isn't much of a threat to medal on the GP circuit must be smoking something -- he has the potential to earn a much higher point total than Rippon could reasonably expect, and ditto for Takahashi. The US has not shied away from competitive fields, and has in past years been criticized for having skaters like Kwan and Cohen both chosen for Skate America when they were likely to earn more points towards the final by splitting them up.

vCash
    Where would you get this from? I'm far from a big Oda fan, but I can give credit where credit is due. Have you taken into account that Oda was under other stressors during the Olympics and Worlds, i.e., that his girlfriend was pregnant and he had one of the most stress-inducing coaches in the world?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Where would you get this from? I'm far from a big Oda fan, but I can give credit where credit is due. Have you taken into account that Oda was under other stressors during the Olympics and Worlds, i.e., that his girlfriend was pregnant and he had one of the most stress-inducing coaches in the world?
    If I were a USFS official, I would expect Oda's negative reputation to affect the scoring (in favorable ways for Rippon). Takahashi could be even less consistent. Remember his performances of last year's GPS and GPF. Rippon's chance to win SA was not that small. They needed someone like Oda (Verner, in the case of last year) to make an excuse that they are not watering down the field too much.

vCash
    Takahashi was returning from a serious injury during last year's GP, so yes, his performances were inconsistent. But he is an Olympic medalwinner and he is the reigning World Champion. So he obviously had completely recovered from his injury and performed at a high level in the second half of the 2009-2010 season.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Last year Skate America had Yu Na Kim which wasn't exactly an easy field for Rachael. If they got Lepeisto this year, I suspect they had a later pick for ladies this year.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Each GP has to pick seeded skaters based on the worlds results. What makes a difference is the other skaters you invite. Are you going to invite a showman with no technique and no hope of challenging for gold (read Sweedish entertainers) or are you going to invite a strong skater who happened to have missed worlds last year due to injury?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Last year Skate America had Yu Na Kim which wasn't exactly an easy field for Rachael. If they got Lepeisto this year, I suspect they had a later pick for ladies this year.
    The top 3 seeds usually pick the events they want. Yu Na, the #1 seed, couldn't get Skate Canada because #2 Rochette was a host pick, so she opted for SA and TEB.

This year, Lepisto was scheduled to do both SC and SA. She had done SC two years previously (her other venues were CoC and NHK) and I think she did choose those two events because they would involve the least travel.
    Last edited by euterpe; 11-20-2010 at 01:07 AM.

vCash
    Question: does anyone know why the Hubbells, Paul/Islam and Faiella/Scali all withdrew after the SD in Russia?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Question: does anyone know why the Hubbells, Paul/Islam and Faiella/Scali all withdrew after the SD in Russia?
    Eislauffan posted in the Cup of Russia forum in the Kiss and Cry section that Paul/Islam withdrew due to her injury "(right lateral muscle of her upper body) and can't do most of the lifts" and Scali has lumbago (lower back pain). The Hubbells withdrew because "Keiffer has a back injury and cannot do lifts" according to Universal Sports' tweet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast