Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I also think that Americans worry a lot about body odor.
    I'd agree with this - and about "ugly" feet in general.

Basically, I think whoever's home you're in, that's whose wishes you should follow with regards to shoes/no shoes. But in the US (or at least the parts of the US I've been in - NE, midwest and NW), unless someone tells you to take your shoes off upon entry, the default is to leave 'em on.

ETA: I see Prancer's thrown a hole in my theory about the midwest . I'll just say I've certainly experiences individuals who do the shoes-off thing in many places, but they were never the norm of the region, and they would always tell you right off that they had a shoes-off home. Of course, this could mean that I am not invited to the right parties
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I ADORE older homes. I'd live in one if I could (my place is only eight years old). But I will not tolerate grunge or messiness. Loving you, Civic!

Prick Admin
    vCash

My ex had toenail fungus and refused to medicate for it because of the liver damage side effect from whatever pill they would give you.
    I had a bit of an icky toenail issue and the chiropodist recommended putting a cap of apple cider vinegar on it twice a day for a few months. It has really cleared things up.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I had a bit of an icky toenail issue and the chiropodist recommended putting a cap of apple cider vinegar on it twice a day for a few months. It has really cleared things up.

Did you just pour the vinegar on it, or soak the nail fred?

I'm asking for a friend.
    Last edited by Norlite; 11-19-2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: who the hell is didi? ;)

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    ETA: I see Prancer's thrown a hole in my theory about the midwest .
    Well, you haven't been here for a while, yes? I would say this is a relatively new phenomenon and certainly isn't common at all among older people. Older women still fuss at me for going barefoot in my own house and ten years ago, very few people I knew did it. I think I knew one person whose family took their shoes off at the door before I was, say, 35 or so.

But younger women and some my age now tend to look at wearing shoes into the house as wearing dirt into the house, as in it makes for just that much more housework. Since most of the women I know are very busy, anything that means less housework is a good thing.

It could be just women I know, as most of the women I know fall into the same general category.

Perhaps I'll take a poll of my students . I have a poll function on my class website that I never use.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Do people who do not take their shoes off at home exist? In Finland shoes are always taken off at home.
    Yes. In France, if you are guest, you do not remove your shoes (apart from exceptional circumstances). Most houses are designed with tiling for the rooms on the ground floor, so carpets are not stained. If people are ok with keeping their shoes on for work or visiting friends in hospital, I don't really get the fuss about taking your shoes off at home.
    I remove mine for comfort purposes when I'm at my own home, and my mum's always telling off for leaving my shoes lying around in the entrance

I'm not a house snob, but I'm a wedding snob

I hate, hate, hate cheap and tacky church / reception room decorations. I hate, hate, hate family members singing out of tune solos during the service or as evening entertainment.
    I hate paper flowers. I dislike wedding dresses made out of cheap fabric. I dislike plastic cups and paper plates being used.
    I dislike unprofessional wedding photography. I don't like programs or menus visibly typed out on MS word....

I've been to dozens of weddings and the only two I've ever enjoyed were held in castles

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millyskate View Post

I hate, hate, hate cheap and tacky church / reception room decorations. I hate, hate, hate family members singing out of tune solos during the service or as evening entertainment.
    I hate paper flowers. I dislike wedding dresses made out of cheap fabric. I dislike plastic cups and paper plates being used.
    I dislike unprofessional wedding photography. I don't like programs or menus visibly typed out on MS word....

I've been to dozens of weddings and the only two I've ever enjoyed were held in castles
    I can't stand tacky wedding decorations either. And I had to participate in hanging paper streamers and putting out tacky paper centerpieces at many a friend's wedding. At my wedding, we just had candles out on the tables, provided by the country club. One of the paper streamer brides said to me that she never would have thought of skipping all the other stuff but "it kind of looks elegant without it". Exactly!

And nothing bugs me more than being in a room full of people in formal or semi-formal attire and trying to cut a piece of chicken on a styrofoam plate with a plastic knife. But, after planning a wedding, I understand how it happens. Caterers charge roughly $2 a fork. (We had real dinnerware provided by the country club without any extra fees, btw).

As for shoes...I grew up in a leave your shoes on family. My husband grew up in a take them off at the door family. Conflict ensues. I usually take my shoes off at home for comfort, but not immediately at the door. And he fusses if I put shoes on when I get them from the closet rather than carrying them to the door to put them on. Then there is the problem of my mother who hates taking her shoes off ever visiting our house and wanting to leave them on but not wanting to offend my husband...

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Being someone who takes their shoes off at the door but wears socks, I should add that I run my carpet cleaner 3-4 times per year also. Luckily, most of my floors are hardwood and ceramic. I am a dog owner(beagle). But my dog has never been allowed in the carpeted rooms or even on the furniture. I admit to being a snob about not allowing animals on furniture, especially in bed. I actually don't like sitting on furniture that animals have been on. Do many people allow their animals on their furniture anymore?

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    Did you just pour the vinegar on it, or soak the nail fred?

I'm asking for a friend.
    Tell you friend to just pour it over the nail.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    Do many people allow their animals on their furniture anymore?
    Not only is the dog allowed on the (cheap, easy to clean) living room furniture, she often sleeps on the bed with us. In the winter, she sleeps under the covers- saves on the heating bill for us, and I assume is more comfortable for her (she doesn't sleep on the bed in the summer, usually on the couch). She's a 35 lb terrier/grayhound mix, so a medium sized dog.

She sheds like crazy, even though she's short haired- so I sweep daily and am so thankful to no have carpet anymore.

vCash
    I am a dog owner(beagle). But my dog has never been allowed in the carpeted rooms or even on the furniture. I admit to being a snob about not allowing animals on furniture, especially in bed. I actually don't like sitting on furniture that animals have been on. Do many people allow their animals on their furniture anymore?
    I do. I suppose I could lock up my cat in the bathroom or in a cage during the day when I'm away at work, but it would be pretty much impossible to keep her off the furniture otherwise. Counters and table tops are off limits (at least when I'm around), but otherwise, every chair, couch, bed, is a potential resting place. One of my sisters never allowed her cat on the furniture -- in fact, she had somehow "trained" the poor thing to walk on the plastic runners she had over the carpeting in several rooms. I'm not sure what sort of aversive tactics she used to do that, and I really don't want to know. (I still can't believe she had plastic runners on the carpeting!)

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millyskate View Post

What about your own? Or has that not occurred yet?

I somewhat dislike tacky weddings as well, but I have a much higher tolerance than you. One of my classmates got married in Vegas, and did a lot of it herself. It would have been really really cute the way it was, (she planned out what they were going to wear, he was in coattails and top hat, they had big cookies for a wedding cake) BUT from photos, it looked like they held the ceremony in a random hotel room!

And the more weddings I go to, the more I'm convinced I don't ever want to put that much effort into 3 hours of one day and that I should elope.

Being someone who takes their shoes off at the door but wears socks, I should add that I run my carpet cleaner 3-4 times per year also. Luckily, most of my floors are hardwood and ceramic. I am a dog owner(beagle). But my dog has never been allowed in the carpeted rooms or even on the furniture. I admit to being a snob about not allowing animals on furniture, especially in bed. I actually don't like sitting on furniture that animals have been on. Do many people allow their animals on their furniture anymore?
    At home, the dog isn't allowed in the bedrooms, but my sister usually finds a way to bribe him into my bed to wake me up if I'm sleeping in.

It is possible to train cats not to jump on your furniture, but it's rather amusing when you find them sleeping in random places. And a cat sleeping with you is seriously the cutest thing ever. But at least cats clean themselves.

vCash
    I am sorry the longer I read this thread the upset I got. I really am upset and didn't read the last few pages because of the attitudes.

Would I like to update the exterior of our house - you bet. I know that the siding needs replacing in places. I know that if we could get new windows the house would be more heat/air economical. I know that if the interior was updated I would be happier. Do you think I enjoy living in late 80's decor? There are many reasons besides money (WHICH IS A MAJOR ONE) to not be able to do that.

How about interior wallpaper (gasp I know that many of you think that is crass and one of the major sins someone could make) being applied by your Father in law and is a connection that your spouse is not willing to give up?
    How about not being able to do the work yourself and yet not able to pay someone to do it?
    How about being unemployed and subject to those of you who are employed and can be snobby?
    How about someone who's income is spent on medical bills
    How about someone who is helping children with some of their expenses because of a sucky economy?
    I have a sister in law and brother in law who come to visit us once every 2 years and tell me that our house is a disgrace, why don't we update it NOW.

Regarding chain restaurants - the last time we went to a hoity toity restaurant it was over $250.00 for a meal/bottle of wine/dessert. Friends and family can give us gift cards for the chain restaurants - affordable gifts.

ETA: It is really good that I only saw the wedding sh$t snob while scrolling up the page to get to the FSU Index.

I am sure that all of us have some things that make us crazy, but this thread on the same page as the homeless man who returned found money is

Said my piece - out of here.

vCash
    There are a lot of wonderful and affordable small mom and pop restaurants in the US. Watch an episode of Diners Drive-Ins and Dives.

vCash
    I admit to being a snob about not allowing animals on furniture, especially in bed. I actually don't like sitting on furniture that animals have been on. Do many people allow their animals on their furniture anymore?
    My dog (all 10 pounds of him) is allowed up on any and all of the furniture and he sleeps in our bed. He's a Maltese so he doesn't shed, but even that wouldn't matter to me.

My mother-in-law once had a bit of a freak-out when the dog sat beside her on the couch and tapped her with his paw. She pushed him away and asked why he was up there. My response? "He lives here and you're in his spot."

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I am sure that all of us have some things that make us crazy, but this thread on the same page as the homeless man who returned found money is

That's the thing, I think many of us in this thread know how picky and ridiculous we are. Or at least I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    My dog (all 10 pounds of him) is allowed up on any and all of the furniture and he sleeps in our bed. He's a Maltese so he doesn't shed, but even that wouldn't matter to me.

My mother-in-law once had a bit of a freak-out when the dog sat beside her on the couch and tapped her with his paw. She pushed him away and asked why he was up there. My response? "He lives here and you're in his spot."
    My mom came to visit me and lay down on my bed. The kitten (this was back when she was really tiny) came up and sat on her chest. She looked down and was like, "Excuse me!"

Then again she did ask for a picture when the big cat decided to climb on her and fall asleep in her lap.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Do many people allow their animals on their furniture anymore?
    The real question is whether the garden kitty allows me on the furniture
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    The real question is whether the garden kitty allows me on the furniture
    Yep. After my earlier rant about how neat and clean I am, well, I have a long-haired cat and he sits where he wants to sit, except on the dining room table, kitchen counters or my desk. He sleeps between the pillows on my bed and if I didn't make the bed and put throw pillows there during the day he might never come out of that cave. Visit me and you get lovely long white or orange fur stuck to you, and I will provide a roller when you leave if you like. If that's a problem, don't visit.

But just like the really important division in the world is not ethnic or religious but between people who have kids and people who don't, the other one is animal-lovers and their opposite numbers. Personally I think my condo building is particularly friendly because dogs are allowed here, and the non-dog-owners all have cats, but that's me.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    What about your own? Or has that not occurred yet?
    Not married yet, and the longer I wait the pickier I get
    I'm completely skint but if I was to get married now, I'd just get the nice dress, even if I had to get a bank loan for it!
    I think my deep dislike of cheap weddings has come of being a pastor's daughter, asked to perform in everyone and their uncles wedding. I'm someone who values experience infinitely above material possessions, so having a classy (if small) wedding is more important to me than owning a car or a house. I'm a romantic gal, what can I say

I think you're missing the whole point of this thread. It's precisely about people who secretly appreciate luxury but realize the absurdity of it.

Do we go around criticizing people who don't meet these "standards" IRL? Of course not. Can we meet them ourselves? Not me anyway

vCash
    The wedding snob thing has be . On one hand, I was aghast at my friend's wedding that had no dinner and was generally uncomfortable for everyone but her. However, I'm not sure I'd go in for a lot of extras if I had a wedding, so... After attending so many in the last 10 years, I don't have a list of what I'd like, I have a list of what I want to avoid.

But that's the thing with weddings: it's finances willing.

I am sorry the longer I read this thread the upset I got. I really am upset and didn't read the last few pages because of the attitudes.
    It's a very privileged thing to be so snobby/picky about things. I'm not nearly as live and let live as I'd like to be, but I hope I'll eventually get there.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast