Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I think I'm a car snob. Not which type of car - you don't need to drive some super-expensive, top-of-the-line vehicle - but could you at least keep your car clean (and smelling somewhat OK)? And at a certain age, don't we all outgrow tiny little cars with 2 doors (and/or a hatchback) and almost no back seat, that you need to be a contortionist to get into? I know we all like to get good gas mileage, but let's not be impractical.
    I suppose it depends on where you live. I prefer tiny cars, because I can park them nearly anywhere. I can fit into tiny NYC spaces that others have to pass. And since my only regular back seat passenger is a six-year-old, if the back seat is a bit small, no biggie. Although it's a Honda Civic, and the interior, for a small car, is actually quite roomy - I've put a 6'4" man in the back seat, and he came out alive.

In addition, I'm short, and a small car actually fits me better.

As for cleanliness - again, I mention the six-year-old; but relative to most other cars with six year old children in them, mine is quite clean. Again, relative.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    I like little cars too, as shown by my Mini Cooper. I can park anywhere, lanes narrowed by road construction and jersey walls don't bother me, and I'm not worried about people fitting into my back seat. It's not necessary very often, and then usually for short trips.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    I like little cars too, as shown by my Mini Cooper. I can park anywhere, lanes narrowed by road construction and jersey walls don't bother me, and I'm not worried about people fitting into my back seat. It's not necessary very often, and then usually for short trips.
    My boss has a Mini Cooper and he drove us to get donuts once, and I had to request the coworker sitting in front of me to move their seat up because I couldn't put my feet down. I'm a not-atypically-tall 5'5" and I have small feet. I wouldn't want to put anyone in the back seat for very long, that's for sure!

I'm perfectly fine with narrow lanes and I have a Honda Civic. I actually do think it's pretty roomy in the back too, for being a "small" car.

vCash
    The "can I fit a human in the back seat?" test is one I typically do for any new car I'm considering. It's surprising how many cars can't pass that one.

I remember my friend's Honda Prelude. It had a back seat where I couldn't put my feet on the floor, and when he'd go over a bump, my head would hit the back windshield/ceiling. And I'm only 5'2".
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    DH and I were checking out some sport little number. I looked in the backseat and about the person who could ride back there is someone small enough for an infant carrier. Anyone bigger would need to amputate their legs at the knees. There was less than four inches of space between the back seat and the back of the front seat.

vCash
    The Honda Prelude was like that. If anyone sat in the front, I had to 1) tell them to wait to get into the car until I was fully in the back seat (or else them putting the seat upright would trap my legs painfully), and 2) wait until I was sitting sideways, with my legs up on the seat. But I'd volunteer to sit in the back, because no other human being could possibly fit back there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    And at a certain age, don't we all outgrow tiny little cars with 2 doors (and/or a hatchback) and almost no back seat, that you need to be a contortionist to get into? I know we all like to get good gas mileage, but let's not be impractical.
    At a certain age - I grew into the 2 door sporty sebring. Having had Mommy cars for most of my life.

vCash
    My husband bought a Challenger last year and I love that car. However, It is 3 door and people ask us why we didn't buy a more family oriented car. It is a 3 door and our oldest is 10 and so can easily get into the backseat behind the driver. Our youngest still needs a booster and he can get in and out easily enough.

I don't get why some people think just because you have a couple kids, suddenly you need a minivan lol!!
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    I don't get why some people think just because you have a couple kids, suddenly you need a minivan lol!!
    Well, I'm definitely not advocating minivans. I have a Toyota Camry, which I've had for almost 5 years and it took some getting used to after driving smaller cars - Nissan Stanza and Toyota Corolla - both 4-doors, though. When I first started driving my car, I felt like I was driving one of my parents' cars, lol.

What prompted my post was riding in my boss's car this morning on the way to a meeting - it was on the other side of the campus so not really walkable. She's in her 50s, with 2 grown children and is now driving a 2-door, VW 'bug' that she got from her son - they switched cars for some odd reason - she told me but I can't remember - she previously drove another 2-door - I think a Honda something. Both cars are really messy (she has a cat but I don't think cats go on car trips very often, do they?) with an odd smell, and I felt bad for a 3rd co-worker today b/c she had to fit into the backseat, and the front seat came all the way to the back - I tried to push it up but that was as far as it went. I was carrying a case with something in it which barely fit next to my legs in the front seat - I had to hold it steady b/c as soon as the car moved, it knocked into my leg (that would be my left/formerly broken leg).

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I rode down to Skate America in the back of a VW bug - it was fine because I was the only one in the back seat. Honestly, the only car I've ridden in that had a truly wretched back seat was a Toyota Paseo - where I couldn't sit up without hitting my head on the back window. I'm pretty tall.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    That is another thing that is great about our car though, even though it is a 3 door, the room in the back is amazing. I could sit back there no problem (and have on the odd occasion). We have a friend who is 6 feet and he fits back there fine. It is when we take out our Dodge SX 2.0, that the space is more limited in the backseat for taller friends of ours. (That is of course, when we are going out to the movies/ dinner/ party at friend's etc.and need the backseat)

I remember my parents had a Hyundai Pony when I was a kid, and I remember that not having a lot of space. We didn't have it for long though, my sister got in an accident and we had to write it off. How my sister survived that accident is beyond me too!! That car folded like an accordion.

Prior to the Challenger we had a Charger and many aspects of the Charger are the same with the Challenger. Lots of leg room for front and backseats.

I don't mind people leaving their shoes on in our house except in the winter, too much mess otherwise. We have regular house parties and for them, I prefer people take their shoes off. We have ceramic tiling through most of the house, except our upstairs living room. That is dark hardwood flooring. We have laminate in our downstairs office and marble in our upstairs washroom. Carpet is only in the playroom and the basement. I guess what I am tryign to say is that with all the ceramic tiles, it makes for easy cleanup.
    Last edited by Twilight1; 11-23-2010 at 11:48 AM.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Afriend gave me a very nice (but slightly worn) leather couch when she moved out of town. My cat doesn't scratch it at all - in fact she doesn't like to touch it. She only gets on it if I'm on it (and she sits on me), or recently she knocked down one of the throw pillows and will sleep on it. I think she doesn't like the feel of the leather on her pads.
    But did you know before you got the couch that your cat wouldn't scratch it. That's my concern with regard to buying one. Leather couches are pricey even second-hand, so I don't dare take the risk of buying one, especially considering the damage she has done to my vinyl office chairs.

vCash
    My husband bought a Challenger last year and I love that car. However, It is 3 door and people ask us why we didn't buy a more family oriented car. It is a 3 door and our oldest is 10 and so can easily get into the backseat behind the driver. Our youngest still needs a booster and he can get in and out easily enough.

My dad bought a 63 T-bird convertible as our first family car. The second car? A 1970 Dodge Charger R/T . When that got burned up in a fire, he replaced with another R/T with an even bigger engine . So long as the kiddies fit in the back seat. Our "family" cars were never true family cars like sedans or wagons. My mother hates station wagons.

I guess I'm a car snob in the sense that I am wary of anything from the US Big Three...especially Chrysler.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    But did you know before you got the couch that your cat wouldn't scratch it. That's my concern with regard to buying one. Leather couches are pricey even second-hand, so I don't dare take the risk of buying one, especially considering the damage she has done to my vinyl office chairs.
    Valid concern. Less than five minutes after my new leather sofa was delivered, the cat sharpened her claws on the cushions.

vCash
    We bought new furniture for our sitting room and our cat was starting to use it as a playroom, my husband put up by-fold doors on the one entry way from the dining room to the sitting room to prevent her from going in there that way. The other entry has an actual door so we keep that door closed at all times so she doesn't go in there. We got her declawed not too long ago, and it devastated me. I really didn't want to do it to the poor thing.

Rex- my husband's family almost all have Chrysler or Dodge's. It is crazy for family gatherings with all the damn Chrysler/Dodge cars lining the street. LMAO!!

vCash
    Rex- my husband's family almost all have Chrysler or Dodge's. It is crazy for family gatherings with all the damn Chrysler/Dodge cars lining the street. LMAO!!
    After my Sundance and Neon experiences, never ever again....maybe if I could afford it, one of their gorgeous convertibles from the 60's, but that would be it.

vCash
    I discovered this past weekend that I am a complete xmas decoration snob.

I hate clutter of decorations. I hate multiple colours used together. The icicle lights intermingled with multi colours. I hate pot lights, used with multi coloured lights on coniferous trees outside. Several hanging wreaths everywhere outside.

I hate overkill decorations in the home or at work so that you have no space to work/ put other everyday things. I hate hanging muliple bulbs from the ceiling.

I realized I am a simple person, with simple tastes and I feel guilty for feeling so strongly about this. My work, they went CRAZY over the weekend hanging up crap everywhere. It is like xmas decorations threw up everywhere that is how I came to this realization... and now I notice it everywhere...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    Valid concern. Less than five minutes after my new leather sofa was delivered, the cat sharpened her claws on the cushions.
    My cat is a bit of a nut case. We used to have an out of date fabric sofa, matching chair, and a couple of other fabric chairs. She never bothered the matching sofa & chair but the other 2 chairs were her favourite places to attack with her claws. When we updated we got a leather sofa. For the first 6 months she avoided it like the plague, wouldn't even walk on it. Then suddenly one day I guess the light bulb turned on and now she tries to attack the arms and sides all the time - very expensive problem. When we don't have visitors I have to cover over the arms and sides with blankets for protection. No matter how long between guests, she doesn't forget, unfortunately.

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    Here, house snobs. You all will love this blog LOL

http://realestaterumble.wordpress.com/

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567