Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I'm Chinese and we've never worn shoes inside the house. It's way more comfortable and the dog won't wipe his butt ALL over every square foot of the carpet, while people will walk all over the place eventually.

I don't understand why people wear shoes inside their homes. It just makes it dirtier a lot faster, and it's more comfortable to walk inside in socks! But then again I don't understand why some people wash their dishes twice when using the dishwasher.
    I rarely wear my outdoor shoes inside because my dog's feet and butt are tiny and don't carry as much dirt as my outdoor shoes. I do wear crocs inside though because I have plantar fasciitis.
    Last edited by galaxygirl; 11-18-2010 at 05:23 AM.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela-Fan View Post
    I was at someone's house and I spilled water or something on the kitchen floor. I went to wipe it up with a paper towel and it came up black.
    Did they wear their shoes in the house? lol..

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    In larger pre-war NY apartments, it was really typical to have a tiny WC bathroom off the kitchen with the full bathrooms elsewhere in the apt. I lived in a couple of those - the toilet and plumbing had broken years before so we just used them as broom/mop/cleaning product closets.
    I'm having flashbacks - a few years back we visited relatives in St Petersburg (Russia, not Florida!), and their communist-issued apartment included a closet with toilet with exposed plumbing next to the kitchen sink - can't recall where the shower/tub was!

Also thinking back to the layout of the apt I rented in NY - it was 1928, with tons of large closets, so now I'm wondering which might have been the WC? Also unusual were the doorways - between foyer/hall and hall/bathroom they were 9-ft doors, but the one into the bedroom was much shorter with no ornamentation - we often wondered what the original layout might have been. Perhaps the bathroom doorway was originally the entrance to the bedroom, maybe a little foyer into it, and then later cut off to form the bathroom ... hmmmm ...

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Wow. I actually like those restaurants...their food is far better than I could do at home.

Just so you know, we cater from Boston Market on Thanksgiving. 'Nuff said.
    To be fair, I don't think the food is bad at chain restaurants. (Although they are very salty sometimes...) If someone invites me, I'll come along without complaint and enjoy my meal. (And my family is totally getting the Thanksgiving package from Raley's this year. Although lil sis and I will be baking some things from scratch too.)

It's just that it's so...ordinary. It's like shopping at a regular mall on vacation - why bother doing something that you can do at home?

But it depends on where you are, of course. In the boonies, sometimes there aren't a lot of good restaurants around besides the chains. Once, we went to a restaurant attached to a brewery whose beer my bf liked. This was the only place around for miles and miles, and the food was TERRIBLE. Salad was soggy, pork chop was completely flavorless. I don't care for apple sauce yet I was drenching the pork chop in it just so it could have some flavor. (I'm pretty sure it was Mott's apple sauce too.) Yet it was still pretty popular.

What makes me is when people insist on eating at chains (or shudder, fast food) in cities like Paris or NYC or Portland, where I just was. SO many great local haunts that you'd be missing out on! My bf and I didn't eat at any chains the whole week we were in Portland and it was possibly the yummiest week we'd had together.

vCash
    I don't have a problem with chains per se. In Portland, I went to coffeeshops (Stumptown's) and restaurants (Stanford's) that were local chains. As long as it's not anywhere near I live, then I'll enthusiastically try it out. Thus my fascination with Target.

But as ebayj will attest, I would prefer to avoid anything that I could get at home (*cough*Denny's*cough*) . But I don't mind the food.

As for house snobs, as a frequent viewer of House Hunters, if someone tells me that I should have hard wood floors, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, his/her sinks, and/or a man cave, I may have to punch them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I don't have a problem with chains per se. In Portland, I went to coffeeshops (Stumptown's) and restaurants (Stanford's) that were local chains. As long as it's not anywhere near I live, then I'll enthusiastically try it out. Thus my fascination with Target.
    Who do you think you're fooling?

if someone tells me that I should have hard wood floors, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, his/her sinks, and/or a man cave, I may have to punch them.
    You should have hard wood floors, stainless steel if not platinum appliances, his/her sinks, and at least one man cave - though keep in mind that two man caves is the standard for the have's versus the have not's.

me now.

vCash
    I think it is not necessarily snobbishness on my part, but OCD. I HATE having anything out of place when we have company. I am anal when cleaning my bathrooms. My husband will clean our rec room (using Mr Clean on the summer kitchen island and counters) and I will do it again.

I have lined towels that I place in an exact manner.

Canned goods, facing forward. I will coreect it, if my husband does it.

I guess the only good thing is that I do it when he isn't looking and very luckily, he doesn't pay attention to that stuff.

My husband and I purchased a home about this time last year and the renovations required is ridiculous. Mr Fix-it (previous owner) was not a Mr Fix it well and we have to redo a lot of his work. We are going to have to go room by room...
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Wow. I actually like those restaurants...their food is far better than I could do at home.

Just so you know, we cater from Boston Market on Thanksgiving. 'Nuff said.

I think you just need to add more salt to your food.

I thought of this thread last night when my husband was telling a story about one of his coworkers that lives in a small town in Alabama and took a trip to NYC. For dinner they went to TGI Fridays in Times Square.

vCash
    The house I live in now had a bathroom right off the kitchen. It had been converted from a porch/backdoor area into a bathroom, probably in the 1940s or so. It was a large enough area that when we remodelled, we turned the area into a mudroom/hall (with a new back door exit), with a tiny bathroom off it. It's still a full bathroom, but now it's entered off the mudroom/hall, rather than directly from the kitchen.

But I've lived in quite a few apartments here in the northeast where the bathroom is directly off the kitchen. It's really common in older homes.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I don't understand why people wear shoes inside their homes. It just makes it dirtier a lot faster, and it's more comfortable to walk inside in socks! But then again I don't understand why some people wash their dishes twice when using the dishwasher.
    It's more of an American thing. It's largely Canadian culture to take your shoes off when you enter a home...especially if you're from some place rural. We have weather issues here so your shoes are rarely clean when you come in.

When I moved to the US people would just trample all over my place. I finally asked around to see why this was happening and I was told two things. 1. People are self conscious about their feet (smells, sweat, bad socks, etc) and 2. Women especially consider their shoes to be a fashionable extension of their outfit, so it's like chopping their arm off to remove their shoes.

Asians from what I have found are much more practical, so I was loving the clean environments particularly in Japan when I traveled. So much order in a city like Tokyo with a gazillion people in it. Wow!

vCash
    I keep my shoes on in the house. My reason is simple. My feet get cold easily so wearing shoes keeps me warmer.

vCash
    Count me in as one who must wear her shoes in the house. My orthodics are to correct my walking/rolling on the outside of my foot. If I'm not allowed to keep my shoes on, I head straight for somewhere to sit and rarely leave the spot. Walking without the support in my shoes lead to a lot of pain later. If the people I plan to visit have a problem with me either wearing my shoes indoors OR staying put in one place, I put them on the list of people not to visit again.

A tidy house ... I wish! I married a messy who has gotten even more messy over the years we have been married. As much as I have tried to deal with it, I still get BSC. He tries ... but not well enough. He'll start something and then not finish it - at least not to the manner in which I am expecting it to look. {{sigh}}
    Crazy about sports!

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Hopefully I have more of substance to offer.
    Which, from first-hand experience, Japanfan certainly does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    When I moved to the US people would just trample all over my place. I finally asked around to see why this was happening and I was told two things. 1. People are self conscious about their feet (smells, sweat, bad socks, etc) and 2. Women especially consider their shoes to be a fashionable extension of their outfit, so it's like chopping their arm off to remove their shoes.
    If someone would try to come to my place, I would tell them to take off the shoes or not to come at all. Smelly feet and ugly shocks happen all time, I it is not so serious.

I do understand the fear about fungus infections, but if someone has fungus, I assume they will keep shocks or take care of the problem some other way. But I do have to say, I have never heard of anyone having this kind of problem. Maybe they just keep veru quiet about it.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekatiivi View Post
    If someone would try to come to my place, I would tell them to take off the shoes or not to come at all. Smelly feet and ugly shocks happen all time, I it is not so serious.

I do understand the fear about fungus infections, but if someone has fungus, I assume they will keep shocks or take care of the problem some other way. But I do have to say, I have never heard of anyone having this kind of problem. Maybe they just keep veru quiet about it.
    I also think that Americans worry a lot about body odor. I must have a terrible sense of smell since it's very rare that I ever notice it, even when my bf is wailing that he's sweaty and smelly. When he's sweaty I actually like the scent.

My ex had toenail fungus and refused to medicate for it because of the liver damage side effect from whatever pill they would give you. It just made one of his toenails ugly, it actually wasn't a big deal and I never got it even though we would go barefoot together and whatnot. I think athlete's foot is a more serious issue in a locker room shower because of the heat and humidity. I don't think you need to worry much about that on a floor where it's cool and dry.

vCash
    I lurve fireplaces. REAL ones, not non-functioning fireplaces, or worse yet, GAS fireplaces. Ugh. Something you can actually burn wood in. I turned my nose up house-hunting a couple of years ago at these gorgeous McMansions in South Philly, starting at $450K, but they had GAS fireplaces...hmph. The NOIVE.

vCash
    I’m the opposite. I don’t want you to take your shoes off when you come to my house and I certainly don’t want you walking barefoot around the house.

Feet are sweaty and oily. Walking on hardwood leaves the same kind of greasy smudges on floors that handprints leave on windows, and for carpeting, these oils hold and mix with dust and dirt. Nothing makes your floors and carpeting dirtier than walking around barefoot.

If you insist on taking off your shoes, please have some slippers handy.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Since plantar fasciitis set in, I wear slippers all the time indoors, I used to go barefoot. Haven't noticed floors staying any cleaner, though. I think shoes vs feet indoors is very personal with a touch of cultural. I wish my cat wouldn't get that blue litter stuck between the pads of his paws, though, that's a pain to clean up.

I live in a condo built in 2000. It's got shoddy construction in some places, my doors are not solid wood for example. But because I have a corner unit, I have interesting angles in all the rooms, not square boxes, and that was enough to get me past my knowledge that this building is made out of spit and drywall. (That, and the fact we don't have earthquakes and tornadoes in DC.) But for someone else who loves old construction and solid wood everything, this would be a turn-up-your-nose building.

Chacon a son gout.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    I have a beautiful two-story working wood-burning fireplace. Know how many New Yorkers would kill for this? (Me, I am scared to death of fireplaces and always have been. Not sure I will ever use it. No gas in the building, either, so I can't convert it.

Chacon a son gout, indeed.

Contractor and engineer tomorrow come to cut three huge holes in my ceiling to determine if the roof can support the weight of a deck. I have a feeling this is the beginning of a long and painful period of renovation during which the apartment will be barely inhabitable for us, much less presentable to guests.

But a 250-square foot roof terrace is something that I, along with other New Yorkers, WILL kill for (or at least be driven to the point of near-insanity and insolvency for). Crossing my fingers that it's possible.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    It's more of an American thing. It's largely Canadian culture to take your shoes off when you enter a home...especially if you're from some place rural. We have weather issues here so your shoes are rarely clean when you come in.

I think it's more a regional thing. We have plenty of weather issues here, too. I go barefoot in the house all the time and always have. Probably two thirds of the people I know take their shoes off at the door; one third do not. Some of the ones who do wear slippers or socks, some don't.

Guests, OTOH, are another story. I tend to follow the lead of the hosts. if I go in the door and there's a pile of shoes, I take mine off. If not, I keep them on. And at my house, I encourage people to keep their shoes on because, while my floors are not black, I have a heavy shedder dog and I don't want people to go home with furry feet--which they will.

I NEVER remove my socks in someone else's house, though. I'd rather have furry feet than plantar warts.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast