vCash

Armin Cheer Thread!

So, I've seen Armin Mahbanoozadeh a bunch over the years and always thought he had promise and pretty good presentation. But there was something about his performances at Skate America that really flipped a switch for me. He's not just "getting there" anymore. He is there.

His skating brings me back to a happy time, reminders of Ryan Jahnke, Matt Savoie, Todd Eldredge, and Michael Weiss. Complete skaters with joy, power, strong interpretation, and nice flowing jumps.

Every so often, a new face emerges on the scene that gives me hope that it isn't all so serious and same-y. Armin's Skate America performances have done that for me. Thank you, Armin! You are my feel-good story of the season so far.

vCash
    I have liked Armin ever since he did a four-part piano tribute to Mao's programs. His piano skills are pretty good too. Congrats on winning his first GP medal!

vCash
    We have enjoyed watching Armin from the first time we saw him - at Mike Weiss' first foundation show in 9/2005. Back then he had dental braces. He is developing into a very elegant skater, and I just love his smile and demeanor, too.

vCash
    Yes, I've been rooting for this guy ever since I took notice of him a while back. His programs are always a little bit different choreographically (it also helps that he doesn't skate to the old warhorses), his spin positions are inventive, and everything else (jumps, expression) seems pretty sound. I'm also impressed that he now has a relatively stable 3A when I don't recall seeing him do it last season. To be honest, I find Armin's skating much more interesting than Rippon's, who I find rather bland and generic in comparison.

It also helps that Armin is a pianist and likes Mao Asada - that earns him plus points in my book. He also has the coolest name (both first and last).

Here's hoping he has another big breakthrough at Nationals!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post

Here's hoping he has another big breakthrough at Nationals!
    And I hope that he does, and that US Today doesn't report it they way they did at Skate America. Monday's print edition said that Takahashi won, and American Adam Rippon finished fourth. No mention of Armin at all.

Shades of "American beats Kwan."

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    I liked him the moment I first saw him a couple of years ago. Skate America was definitely his coming out party on the senior scene. I wish him all the best and hope he has many great performances ahead of him! GO ARMIN!

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    I want Armin on the US Nat's podium.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    LURVE the fact that Armin has been accepted to a certain college up in New Hampshire. I hear it's quite a special place.

Go Armin!

vCash
    The men's event at Nationals will be fun this year, with Armin now joining the contenders club.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    And I hope that he does, and that US Today doesn't report it they way they did at Skate America. Monday's print edition said that Takahashi won, and American Adam Rippon finished fourth. No mention of Armin at all.

Wow.

I really like what I've seen of him so far too.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Hurrah, Armin.
    It's a pleasure to join this thread!
    I've enjoyed watching his progress; and hope that he can build on his success and get the recognition that he, and his skating, deserves.
    He's a welcome "contender".

I was afraid that his college plans would mean the end of his competative career.
    I'm glad it's not true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    LURVE the fact that Armin has been accepted to a certain college up in New Hampshire. I hear it's quite a special place.
    Armin is clearly a man with excellent taste!
    Creating drama!

vCash

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    I have to say I enjoyed him a lot better than Adam. I was shocked when I heard them announce Adam was 21. I would hope by that age the man would have some more tension in his skating. I thought he was still in his mid-teens. He doesn't live up to his music at all. Back anyway back to Armin, he is one watch for sure!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    I have to say I enjoyed him a lot better than Adam. I was shocked when I heard them announce Adam was 21. I would hope by that age the man would have some more tension in his skating. I thought he was still in his mid-teens. He doesn't live up to his music at all. Back anyway back to Armin, he is one watch for sure!

If Hallmark is ever looking for live models for Christmas cards, Adam's got the job. And the costumes.

It was great to see Armin do so well. I think Adam is overall the much better skater, but he didn't have his feet really under him for this competition, and I don't think that this LP really works for him.

vCash
    Saw him for the first time on NBC, Skate America. Mighty fine job! I hope he can keep it up and be on the podium at Nationals. Which I will get to see in person! I'm so excited I hope everybody wins! I know, not possible...just happy about seeing Armin and a few others in person finally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post

Can I neg rep them?
    Armin is great!

vCash

vCash
    His scores at Skate America would have put him at 27th on last year's Season's Best list for men -- when all is said and done he should end up even higher on this year's list, which will probably result in two GP events if he wants them next year. I'd guess that 4CC might also be a possibility this year.